An Apology

roadrat

Hello Huskerboard:

I just wanted to say that my post on New Years night was out of line. While Blackshirt told me to sober up and I was banished from this board I just wanted to say I am 45 yrs old and haven't had a drink in nearly 15 years. It was unfortunate that my post followed Dave because it wasn't personal. Some of you feel like you have to be spokesman for Pederson and Callahan. Are you so small that you have to defend these guys?

After I was banished someone posted that another "hater" has flamed out. In my opinion that was a personal attack against me.

The true difference between the haters and lovers is this. The haters actually think Pederson and Callahan are leading them to the promised land (see Cub fans in the dictionary.) The lovers (ie. the true fans) think this program is going to hell in a hand basket. But we are called naysayers, haters and the best comment we read is "don't come running back to this program when we are national champions" You all make me laugh.

If I offended anyone, I apologize. But no one should be a puppet for this A.D. and the hogwash he is spreading.

I look forward to having civil debates with all of you in the future. And Dave it was not personal. My rant just happened to follow your post. I can only say happy new year and you all have a good time dreaming.

Okay so you are a moderator. That's makes you an *** kisser. The moderators tell us oh there's a support pederson webite. ***** you people. If you want to have a ****** **** and keep us from having any opinions then kick everybody off this board and kiss each others ***.

I dunno if that could be more of a blatantly obvious personal attack. Absolutely ridiculous. Apologizing, then saying that people that support the school with Pederson and Callahan are haters. You can't just say you are sorry and leave it at that. I love Nebraska football, even now. It's different, but I am giving this a chance. That's my choice, you choose to not like what's going on. Fine. How can you say that people that will love this school, this state, this football team, even through adversity and changes are "haters" and those that sit back and say that "this sucks, I hate change, things will never be as good as they were" are lovers? Ya know what, things may never be as good as when Osborne left, ever. A run like he put together doesn't happen much. Notre Dame for the first 40 years of the 20th century, Oklahoma in the 50s, Nebraska in the early 70s, Miami in the mid to late 80s, Nebraska in the 90s and USC now. Solich had this program on a downhill slide and it was obviously too much for him to handle. It was time for a change, I dunno if the drastic change that was made was necessary, but it was made. I think that there were other coaches and offenses that would have been a smoother transition from what the Huskers used to run to bridge the gap, but thats not the issue. I am not quite sure that Callahan is the guy, but I think getting all of the top recruits he can in here is a good start and we will see if him and his staff are worth a darn as coaches. I will always love this state, the school and the football team. You can call me a hater if you would like, but we both know better. http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/we...tage=1&word=fan]Fan[/url] I see fan defined by words such as "devotee", "enthusiast", "admirer" and "lover". I think that exemplifies me moreso than yourself at least according to what you just said. Go Big Red for life, from a fan.

I don't think it's too fair to claim being more of a fan than another - if either of you were not fans I suspect this conversation would not be happening.

The opposite of love is apathy, not hate - lovers and haters are fans, just in a partisan perspective. The real non-fans are the ones that just don't care, and if you care enough to have a strong opinion, even if vitriolic on occasion, that qualifies you as a fan in my opinion.

It's like politics - Democrats and Republicans might both differ on how to fix the national budget, but both would agree there's a problem and both would consider themselves patriotic in their views. The only thing the separates them is the preferred remedy.

One side wants to cut taxes and the other wants to raise them, one side here thinks Callahan is the answer (or at least willing to give him more of a chance) and another side doesn't think he can do it regardless of how much time he's given.

Although, I have to admit, that was the most backhanded apology I've ever read, roadrat - still, kudos for stepping up and apologizing for your heated post. We've all said stuff we regret, believe me. ;)

It's like my dad told me once - "It's not mistakes that define a man, but recoveries".

IRISH!

It's like my dad told me once - "It's not mistakes that define a man, but recoveries".

I agree with that statement, which is why I think Callahan SHOULD be given a chance. Well Irish, when you get people on this board with handles like "formerfan" that spend hours posting on this board for something that they supposedly hate, its kinda hard to believe that someone who hates something is in fact a fan of it. I can understand hating what is going on, but saying that someone who has an open mind or God forbid is a supporter, is the real hater is ridiculous. That was my point.

I agree with that statement, which is why I think Callahan SHOULD be given a chance. Well Irish, when you get people on this board with handles like "formerfan" that spend hours posting on this board for something that they supposedly hate, its kinda hard to believe that someone who hates something is in fact a fan of it. I can understand hating what is going on, but saying that someone who has an open mind or God forbid is a supporter, is the real hater is ridiculous. That was my point.

HA HA! Touche! You got me on that one. :P

Even though we disagree with Callahan being here (my position is still one of "wait and see", by the way - though I don't have much confidence since I consider the WCO to be an inherently poor choice for college ball, BC's character issues aside).

I think you need to define what it is that the "haters" are actually hating. Again, using politics as an analogy - the idea of "USA - love it or leave it" doesn't mean one can't be critical of politicians or policies and be patriotic and love the country simultaneously.

Those notions aren't mutually exclusive, and in fact go together. You love your wife or girlfriend, but if you think they're drinking too much or doing something which might be harmful to them, it would, in fact, be considered a sign of support to intervene and be critical of the behavior.

You meantion "hating something" in your response, so my question to you is this: what exactly do you think are they hating? The direction of the team? Callahan and Pederson personally? The Huskers in general?

That's my point, really.

IRISH!

Hello Huskerboard:

I just wanted to say that my post on New Years night was out of line. While Blackshirt told me to sober up and I was banished from this board I just wanted to say I am 45 yrs old and haven't had a drink in nearly 15 years. It was unfortunate that my post followed Dave because it wasn't personal. Some of you feel like you have to be spokesman for Pederson and Callahan. Are you so small that you have to defend these guys?

After I was banished someone posted that another "hater" has flamed out. In my opinion that was a personal attack against me.

The true difference between the haters and lovers is this. The haters actually think Pederson and Callahan are leading them to the promised land (see Cub fans in the dictionary.) The lovers (ie. the true fans) think this program is going to hell in a hand basket. But we are called naysayers, haters and the best comment we read is "don't come running back to this program when we are national champions" You all make me laugh.

If I offended anyone, I apologize. But no one should be a puppet for this A.D. and the hogwash he is spreading.

I look forward to having civil debates with all of you in the future. And Dave it was not personal. My rant just happened to follow your post. I can only say happy new year and you all have a good time dreaming.

Thanks you for the apology. Now lets get on with it.!!!!!!

Hello Huskerboard:

good post.

Im not sure what you have read, but I have never, ever, ever, ever said that I hate NU at all. I have said I LOVE NU football, the tradition (something this staff has no idea about), this state, the majority of the fans, the former players and coaches. I hate that pud fired a decent coach and a good man for an idiot that cant figure out how to get plays into his qb. There are about 1000 guys out there that could have led this team to a winning season this year, but this s****y staff couldnt even manage that. I HATE that pud, cally and co have deficated on the traditions of this program and everything it stands for. I hate being lied to and I hate having a crappy, losing coaching staff try to sell me that THEIR system will work, just give them time, when the former system never, ever, ever had a losing season in over 40 years. I truely and mostly hate it that this coaching staff and AD have embarrasses and tarnished the reputation of a once proud university, football program, and fan base, and some of you will just sit back and take it, and beg for more.

I hate it that some people are gullible enough to believe it. I guess that if blindly following the program while it is being destroyed and defiled, then have at it. When the pride and dignity are brought back (when pud and cally are gone) I'll be back, no matter what the record might be.

Not that many care, but I believe the lovers now were the haters just a year or two ago. All of those who are opening up the love line for Pud and BC are the same fans who condemned Solich. You can attach any name you want to it. I myself liked Solich and was willing to give him those 20 years or so needed to win a NC just like WE ALL GAVE TO! The natural flow of the program and cohesiveness made this program unique from all the rest. Once Solich retired, Gill would be the head man. Now, we are left with a program that resembles just about every other program in Div. 1.

Being just like everyone else doesn't make you better, it makes you average!