Zach Potter

He is 6'7" 285 lbs. Could he play DT? He was one of if not the best D lineman we had last year. Do you think that with him next to Suh he could flourish? With Suh taking up a double team, I would bet he could win the 1 on 1 battles with the interior O lineman, especially if we had speed rushers on the outside, a slimmer Turner, and Yancy, Williams or whoever. Now I'm not saying put him there every down, but maybe on pass rushing downs. Us him like the Giants use Justin Tuck, in and outside, switch it up. What do you think?

Sals

Tuck is smaller by the way 6'5" 275.

our DE have gotten way too big and slow after charlie Mcbride left...hopefully the new staff realize this and move more towards smaller and faster DE..think Grant wistrom, Treve albert,dwayne Harris , donta Jones..these guys were smaller, heck dwayne Harris and Donta Jones were listed at 6'2 225lb..Treve Albert at 6'4 240lb and Wistrom at 6'5 240 or so... these guys all had speed coming off the edge and that's what we have been missing..no wonder we haven't been getting sacks .. Coz's philosophy of playing containtment defense doesn't help either.. gotta turn them loose on the edge and attack with speed

Potter is too tall to play DT. Except for a few very special players, DT's really need to be 6'0-6'3''. If DT's are too tall, it is very easy for offensive lineman to get their hands into their chest plate and push them every which way.

However, if he can actually explode and get his hands on the O-lineman or at least hand fight, he will make it pretty hard for a QB to find a lane to throw the ball through. I just think he is an in between guy right now. He is too heavy and slow to play DE right now....he needs to condition and lose some weight to gain some of his speed back or get speed he never had.

Personally, I never really liked the previous regime's way of basically using 3 DT's and 1 speed guy, then wondering why they couldn't get to the QB. Remember the 90's when we had speed guys on both sides?

You mean like in '05 when we led the nation in sacks?

Yeah, with Solich's players who had learned the fundamentals from his staff.

Honestly, IMO this had to be the worst defense talent wise by the end of the season. I blame bad or non-existent coaching for this fact. There was nobody that overly impressed by the end of the season on defense. They probably spent too much time out partying and slopping down the carbs at all the eateries in Lincoln. They were just out for a good time...no focus.

Potter is too tall to play DT. Except for a few very special players, DT's really need to be 6'0-6'3''. If DT's are too tall, it is very easy for offensive lineman to get their hands into their chest plate and push them every which way.

Jason Peter is 6' 4".

He was a DT at NU.

Remeber Patrick Kabongo? I think he was quite a bit bigger, and while he was never an out and out stud, I'm sure he'd easily find a place on this year's team.

suh is 6'4. kabongo is 6'6. wistrom was at 255 when he was at nu. trev was a line backer. potter will do just fine with esp. with bo. he said last year he was just starting to get things going he played pretty well considering how they were just suppost to hold their blocks not really supposed to attack. he also mentioned he was finally showed some proper techniques to use also.

However, if he can actually explode and get his hands on the O-lineman or at least hand fight, he will make it pretty hard for a QB to find a lane to throw the ball through. I just think he is an in between guy right now. He is too heavy and slow to play DE right now....he needs to condition and lose some weight to gain some of his speed back or get speed he never had.

i agreed ...potter is an in-between guy right now..too big and slow fo a DE maybe alittle bit too tall and light for a DT..maybe could add some weight and play DT...definitely not DE..at least not the kinda quick and agile DE you want out there