For all who loved Frank Solich

rawhide

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uw...uwire&type=lgns

Poor Frank probably had to get emotional assistance to be able to take his measly little 795,000 buy out to the bank.

For all of you who feel sorry for him; he just made more money than most people earn in their lifetime. (for getting fired!!!!!!!)

Sure he didnt want to be fired but he never proved he could win against any team that had a balanced attack and could stuff his offense easily. Remember 8-9 in the box.

In the article he has to scrape by on 200K+ at Ohio.

Maybe the FS lovers out there should start a charity drive for the poor guy.

I'm not a FS hater more ambivalent than anything. (similar to agnostic just not religious)

BC may not be the answer either but I will support him until proven wrong. I don't want to hear about last year except in comparison to the next 4 years

OPTIMISM I know for some that will be an impossibility. Sorry, please seek appropriate professional medical assistance. :wacko:

GBR

:horns2

Poor Frank probably had to get emotional assistance to be able to take his measly little 795,000 buy out to the bank.

For all of you who feel sorry for him; he just made more money than most people earn in their lifetime. (for getting fired!!!!!!!)

Sure he didnt want to be fired but he never proved he could win against any team that had a balanced attack and could stuff his offense easily. Remember 8-9 in the box.

I'm not a FS hater more ambivalent than anything. (similar to agnostic just not religious)

BC may not be the answer either but I will support him until proven wrong. I don't want to hear about last year except in comparison to the next 4 years

OPTIMISM I know for some that will be an impossibility. Sorry, please seek appropriate professional medical assistance. :wacko:

GBR

You can't begrudge the guy his buyout. I mean, if someone came to me and offered me a job where:

1. I would be successful, but still get fired.

2. I would be the object of complete strangers filling internet BBS's with everything from marriage proposals to death threats.

3. The results of my work produces millions of dollars for my employer.

4. I would have to take alums and boosters seriously when they offer even the most lame-brained advice, even though they don't pay me directly.

5. I am under national scrutiny both on and off the field while simultaneously being responsible for 60+r so 19 to 21 year olds.

6. I will be following a legendary figure whose legacy I don't stand a chance to live up to.

I think I would ask for some serious cash too.

IRISH!

Never beat a team with a balanced attack? What do you call the OU team in 2001? FS was one of three coaches in the Big 12 to beat Stoops since Stoops first year at OU. Exactly what stellar teams did TO win beat his first oh lets say 15-20 years as head coach?

Whoa case in point in reply Colorado, Miami. I think in the OU game Jason White blew out a knee ? Another poiint in case, no one held a gun to FS's head and forced him to take over for the legendary TO. With his experience 15+ years he knew full well what kind of situation he was falling head first into. Like at Eagle Raceway, if ya can't run with the BIG DOGS, stay on the porch.

GBR

I think the question is who did Frank beat when he got his players and didn't have the luxury of Tom's any longer? When Frank got his QB and lost TO's he wen't 7-7. Then he went 9-3, with the 3 ranked teams he played absolutely kicking his ass. Let's see what Beck, Lucky, Picou, Dillard, Roark, Jackson and the rest of the guys do in 3 years to see how BC's guys compare.

Rated what, 24 or 25, and that was the 1st game of the year. Did they end up ranked?

I didn't mind Solich at first when he got hired because I believed TO would pick the right man for the job. But as the years elapsed it was obvious that he was not capable of running a top-notch program like NU. He should have been somewhere like Ohio from the beginning.

I think the question is who did Frank beat when he got his players and didn't have the luxury of Tom's any longer? When Frank got his QB and lost TO's he wen't 7-7. Then he went 9-3, with the 3 ranked teams he played absolutely kicking his ass. Let's see what Beck, Lucky, Picou, Dillard, Roark, Jackson and the rest of the guys do in 3 years to see how BC's guys compare.

Are you willing to go through 4 losing seasons before these guys are ready to play, that is if they even qualify?

Again.......

I wonder how we would all view Frank Solich if Corell Buckhalter had not fumbled going into the end zone at Texas in '99. NU goes on to pound Major Applewhite in the B12 Championship and then Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl and finish #2 while FSU couldn't stop Va Tech's running game in the Sugar Bowl. Anyone here doubt NU would have beaten FSU?

Would we all say Frank stinks if the best team in the country had won the NC in '99? My guess is most of wouldn't know what ever happened to Bill Callahan after the Super Bowl.

Are you serious Tommy? Would frank all of the sudden have become a decent recruiter if we had won the NC? I doubt it man. Being the second ranked team isn't that bad considering you are two years removed from winning three of the last four. I firmly believe that Frank would be in his third year at his new school if he wouldn't have had Eric Crouch.

Are you serious Tommy? Would frank all of the sudden have become a decent recruiter if we had won the NC? I doubt it man. Being the second ranked team isn't that bad considering you are two years removed from winning three of the last four. I firmly believe that Frank would be in his third year at his new school if he wouldn't have had Eric Crouch.

Crouch, Fonoti, Groce, Alexander, Raiola, Craver, etc....

TO left the cupboard stocked full, and Frank left it almost completely bare.

Let's not forget what TO left FS exactly. He left him basically a bust for a QB in Frankie London. He also left him a true sophomore that was recruited as a QB but was used the previous year as a WR. He left him a redshirt freshman QB from Omaha. Let's not forget that Crouch would have come here no matter what because he was an in state kid. TO left Buckhalter and Alexander for RBs. Either Buckhalter underachieved here at NU or he's overachieving now in the NFL because he sucked in college. TO did leave a pretty good OL.

With the defense, McBride left with TO. Solich took a chance on a young guy who'd been with the program for a while. Bohl wasn't really terrible, but he just couldn't seem to get the guys to play together. I remember watching D. Williams his first year and thought he was a total bust. I think it was just because Bohl never really could get them in the positions they needed to be in to make the play.

I guess what I'm saying is that while we did have some young talent at some positions, we were lacking at some of the key positions to make the option offense work (QB & RB) when TO left. I realize Crouch developed into a phenomenal player, but when he was recruited he was never thought to beat out the highly touted Newcombe. Sometimes things just don't work out like expected. London was supposed to be the man in waiting when Berringer and Frazier graduated. Who knew when he was 18 that he was too stupid to learn the offense?

GBR

I guess Im just curious as to why this is relevant to anything?

So Frank had a parachute, I guess he needed one after the hatchet-man arrived.

Let's not forget what TO left FS exactly. He left him basically a bust for a QB in Frankie London. He also left him a true sophomore that was recruited as a QB but was used the previous year as a WR. He left him a redshirt freshman QB from Omaha. Let's not forget that Crouch would have come here no matter what because he was an in state kid. TO left Buckhalter and Alexander for RBs. Either Buckhalter underachieved here at NU or he's overachieving now in the NFL because he sucked in college. TO did leave a pretty good OL.

With the defense, McBride left with TO. Solich took a chance on a young guy who'd been with the program for a while. Bohl wasn't really terrible, but he just couldn't seem to get the guys to play together. I remember watching D. Williams his first year and thought he was a total bust. I think it was just because Bohl never really could get them in the positions they needed to be in to make the play.

I guess what I'm saying is that while we did have some young talent at some positions, we were lacking at some of the key positions to make the option offense work (QB & RB) when TO left. I realize Crouch developed into a phenomenal player, but when he was recruited he was never thought to beat out the highly touted Newcombe. Sometimes things just don't work out like expected. London was supposed to be the man in waiting when Berringer and Frazier graduated. Who knew when he was 18 that he was too stupid to learn the offense?

So Bohl is a good coach even though he couldn't get his players to play together but Cosgrove is worthless because he couldn't get his players to play together. That is kind of a double standard isn't it?