For all who loved Frank Solich

rawhide

In order to make a statement like that, we have to look at their careers. Cosgrove has been worthless throughout his career. Just ask Barry Alvarez. I mean Wisconsin was ranked 64th in total defense last year, but jumped into the top 5 this year. Do you think this is great coaching? Bohl went onto coach at a smaller school in the Dakotas. He's had great success up there and has been nationally ranked in Div. 2. I'm not saying Bohl was a great coach because he wasn't a great motivator here at NU. However, he's building a track record that is much better than Cosgrove.

Unless you can show me some evidence of great coaching by Cosgrove, I'll take Bohl any day over Cosgrove. People say you can never get anywhere by always looking back. However, you will make the same mistakes over and over if you never look back. Cosgrove's track record has been bad no matter how you try to slice it. Bohl is at least making strides to change his by being a good coach in Div. 2!

With the defense, McBride left with TO.

No he didn't, he left after 99.

Unless you can show me some evidence of great coaching by Cosgrove, I'll take Bohl any day over Cosgrove

In 1998, Wisconsin ranked 8th in yards per game allowed and was first in the nation in points per game allowed.

In 1999, Wisconsin was 12th in yards per game allowed and was second in the nation in points per game allowed.

I am sure that that was a fluke though, right?

Thank you junior for finally saying it, things were getting thin at key positions when TO left. I get tired of hearing that Solich was the cause of whats going on, lets look at his overall record and then come back and say that, and if he was so stacked when TO left and did so well, why are the Huskers doing so bad under BC its not like they didnt go 9-3 last year, but Solich left it bare..........lets get real here. There has always gotta be a fall guy when things get rough, programs go through ups and downs, look at the run NU has had going, it had to taper off some, really didnt matter who was coaching. If anyone thinks that it wouldnt have been back up under Solich they should really think about that, the program is the major draw not the coach. The progem isnt gonna build any faster under BC, changes are gonna slow the process even more.

Thank you junior for finally saying it, things were getting thin at key positions when TO left. I get tired of hearing that Solich was the cause of whats going on, lets look at his overall record and then come back and say that, and if he was so stacked when TO left and did so well, why are the Huskers doing so bad under BC its not like they didnt go 9-3 last year, but Solich left it bare..........lets get real here.

This is the dumbest argument there is! Solich went 7-7 the season after he played for a NC! So the 2nd best team in college FB comes back and squeaks out a .500 record and that's ok, but BC taking over an overachieving 9-3 team and going 5-6 is the end of the world?

The only true way to rank these guys is in 4-5 years when both had the chance to develop their own system. Frank had the time, wasn't headed in the right direction. BC may have gone 5-6, but at least he has guys coming in that can make a difference on both sides of the ball. What he does with them remain to be seen.

Hoyamann i think you missed the point, the talent wasnt as deep as it used to be, also i really dont think it matters who is there right now whether it be Solich, Callahan, or whoever there was gonna be some down time. The "overachievers"from last year played better as a team, not any more or less talented then this years team as a whole. I am just hopeful that BC can make next years team "overachievers" until everything gets rolling for NU again.

1. This is the dumbest argument there is!

2. Solich went 7-7 the season after he played for a NC! So the 2nd best team in college FB comes back and squeaks out a .500 record and that's ok, but BC taking over an overachieving 9-3 team and going 5-6 is the end of the world?

3. The only true way to rank these guys is in 4-5 years when both had the chance to develop their own system.

4. Frank had the time, wasn't headed in the right direction.

5. BC may have gone 5-6, but at least he has guys coming in that can make a difference on both sides of the ball. What he does with them remain to be seen.

1. No, your's is.

2. Again, bc lost a 'bad qb' (according to fans like you, calling for his head) and a couple of lb's, not really all that much. Solich (just to start with) lost his Heisman winning, all-time total yardage record holding qb and an A-A guard, along with many other players, the team wasnt close to the same.

3. I guess, if you want to give cally 4-5 losing seasons.

4. 7-7 to 10-3 wasnt the right direction, but 10-3 to 5-6 is? Gee, remedial arithmetic must have passed me by????????

5. Great, so he'll have some guys with a little more speed, a few more moves, maybe alittle more size. So what happens in 4 years (if cally the a-hole makes it that long) when his 'more talented' players still cant hit open receivers, throw int's, miss tackles, are constantly out of position, cant get the right plays in, show no enthusiasm or emotion, struggle to have a winning season. Then who do we blame?

1. No, your's is.

2. Again, bc lost a 'bad qb' (according to fans like you, calling for his head) and a couple of lb's, not really all that much. Solich (just to start with) lost his Heisman winning, all-time total yardage record holding qb and an A-A guard, along with many other players, the team wasnt close to the same.

3. I guess, if you want to give cally 4-5 losing seasons.

4. 7-7 to 10-3 wasnt the right direction, but 10-3 to 5-6 is? Gee, remedial arithmetic must have passed me by????????

5. Great, so he'll have some guys with a little more speed, a few more moves, maybe alittle more size. So what happens in 4 years (if cally the a-hole makes it that long) when his 'more talented' players still cant hit open receivers, throw int's, miss tackles, are constantly out of position, cant get the right plays in, show no enthusiasm or emotion, struggle to have a winning season. Then who do we blame?

Wow, rocket science at its best.

1 - Great comeback. My dad can beat up your dad!

2 - Both teams lost NFL-type players. Both teams struggled the next year. Was 7- 7 ok with you the year after we played for a NC?

3 - Guess we'll have to wait for that one huh?

4 - Yep, the math wizard! 11-2 to 7-7, 10-3 to 5-6..........BC did better! Frank won 4 less compared to 5 less for BC, but Frank lost 5 more compared to only 3 more for BC. Callahan's better!

5 - Who do WE blame? Everyone knows who you blame. But who did you blame after the 7-7 season, the end of 40-something 9-win seasons? Who did you blame then? I blamed Frank. I'm sure BC was responsible for that too, huh?

Hoyamann i think you missed the point, the talent wasnt as deep as it used to be, also i really dont think it matters who is there right now whether it be Solich, Callahan, or whoever there was gonna be some down time. The "overachievers"from last year played better as a team, not any more or less talented then this years team as a whole. I am just hopeful that BC can make next years team "overachievers" until everything gets rolling for NU again.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from Indy, it's just that people point to BC ruining this year w/the same team from last year, but you can never call teams the 'same' from 1 year to the next because they always lose some key players and have others step up. I always look for NU to bounce back after tough seasons (whether it be a 7-7 or 5-6 season) because we're elite. What did Frank do after the 7-7 season? Changed some coaches. What did BC do after a 5-6 season? Not sure, but he's bringing in some players that a lot of people are excited about that can hopefully turn it around again.

2 - Both teams lost NFL-type players. Both teams struggled the next year. Was 7- 7 ok with you the year after we played for a NC?

3 - Guess we'll have to wait for that one huh?

4 - Yep, the math wizard! 11-2 to 7-7, 10-3 to 5-6..........BC did better! Frank won 4 less compared to 5 less for BC, but Frank lost 5 more compared to only 3 more for BC. Callahan's better!

5 - Who do WE blame? Everyone knows who you blame. But who did you blame after the 7-7 season, the end of 40-something 9-win seasons? Who did you blame then? I blamed Frank. I'm sure BC was responsible for that too, huh?

2. No, from last years team how many guys made the NFL 2-3? 2001-2002 lost much more talent than did last years team. 7-7 was not okay with me, it was upsetting. But again, Frank made the changes that were needed to head this team in the right direction, he improved 3 wins, and decreased 4 losses, pretty good by most standards. This year, NU took a huge step back.

3. Guess so, but I'll accept your apology when Im proven right.

4. Yep math wizard I guess? I always thought that .500 was a better winning % than is .454, but hey Im guess IM the one who has trouble with math, right. Besides, that 7-7 season at least kept the bowl/non-losing season streaks intact (barely). Am I the only who realizes how special those streaks were?

5. Frank was to blame for a major part of it. But unlike cally, he took the blame and made the right changes. He esentially fired himself as O cord, got rid of the recruiting deadweight (Darlington, Barnes, Tenopir, Young) and hired a good, young, intelligent successful staff that makes this years staff look like the dumb-a$$es of the year. See, unlike cally, Frank was able to do a couple of things:

1: take responsibility

2: put aside pride and make the changes needed to be successful.

9 players from last year's team signed NFL contracts. (Josh Davis? Are you kidding me?)

farmerfan, I agree with you that the streaks are special. But if more of us were as poisonous as you, the home sell-out streak would end as well.

You say the 7-7 season was upsetting, and Frank seemed to do what he could to turn it around. I saw him take coaches that he knew weren't getting the job done, get rid of them, and bring in coaches that could get the job done.

Now Callahan had a bad season, and I for one am disappointed. But I see Callahan doing what needs to be done, which is getting players for his offense in here, and getting very talented players as well that will make a difference. I don't know if his coaches suck because they've only had a year to run things. After this season I'm sure we'll have more to grade them on.

You gonna apologize if we go 9-3 next year, with blow-out losses to Oklahoma, KState and Colorado?

1. 9 players from last year's team signed NFL contracts. (Josh Davis? Are you kidding me?)

2. farmerfan, I agree with you that the streaks are special. But if more of us were as poisonous as you, the home sell-out streak would end as well.

3. You say the 7-7 season was upsetting, and Frank seemed to do what he could to turn it around. I saw him take coaches that he knew weren't getting the job done, get rid of them, and bring in coaches that could get the job done.

4. Now Callahan had a bad season, and I for one am disappointed. But I see Callahan doing what needs to be done, which is getting players for his offense in here, and getting very talented players as well that will make a difference.

5. I don't know if his coaches suck because they've only had a year to run things. After this season I'm sure we'll have more to grade them on.

6. You gonna apologize if we go 9-3 next year, with blow-out losses to Oklahoma, KState and Colorado?

1. I guess I dont recall that. I remember JL getting on the Texans practice squad. Didnt Davis play as a kick returner for the Seahawks? Williams to the Falcons, other than that, I cant recall any Huskers that made NFL teams, even though Im sure Im missing someone.

2. Agreed, but I can tell you one thing, it may be bad for the Univ., the team, the players, etc. but if the sellout streak would end, pud would HAVE to stand up and take notice of that. That would be a a direct extension of his idiocy IMO.

3. Sure, and he got results, his new staff should have had a couple of more years. I dont see the problem there.

4. Im glad youre disappointed, you should be. He seems to be getting players, but like I have said, we will have 7 qb's on scholarship, 8 rb's, we need linemen, wr's, db's, lb's. Some of these guys have talent, but like all recruiting, its a crapshoot. Some wont be eligible, some will never see the field. IMO, I dont think that there is one guy on this staff (maybe with the exception of Wagner, possibly Jordan) who has the ability to put these guys in the position to excel, and to make these guys the best that they can be. That was one thing that TO and staff did better than anyone, possibly in the history of college football.

5. True, but if their past records tell you anything, I think that you can see that they have not been particularly successful, and I dont expect much more success from them.

6. No, I wont apologize. I will admit I was wrong about the record, but if they only go 9-3 w/ 3 blowout losses, I will have to go back to one word "progess." That would not be any progress over FS's last 3 years, and what good would that be, to fire FS and staff, only to get back to where they were 2 years ago? We suffered through all of this humiliation and national embarrassment, and for what?

Personally, I would expect another season that could easily go 5-6 or even 4-7 next year, just as easily as it could go 8-3. The sad thing is, there is enough talent to win at least 9 games next year, as bad as the schedule is.

I would have to look at the schedule to really check it out, but off the top of my head, OU/Tech/CU-for sure losses. Kst-probable loss (who knows how good they will be). Maine-should be for sure win. The rest are all toss-ups.

1. I guess I dont recall that. I remember JL getting on the Texans practice squad. Didnt Davis play as a kick returner for the Seahawks? Williams to the Falcons, other than that, I cant recall any Huskers that made NFL teams, even though Im sure Im missing someone.

Trevor Johnson made it for the Jets, he played quite a bit this season.

TJ Hollowell made it with the Giants.

Bingham made it with the Chargers, but he got hurt before the season and was on IR the whole year.

Kyle Larson was the Bengals punter the whole season.

Demorrio Williams played a big part in the Falcons defensive dominance.

Jammal Lord ended up on the 53 man roster for the Texans by the end of the season.

Jerrell Pippens made the Chargers team and was great on special teams.

Pat Ricketts just missed the final cut with the Falcons( :wtf )

You missed more than "someone". ESPN.com is a cool site, you should check it out sometime ;)

Trevor Johnson made it for the Jets, he played quite a bit this season.

TJ Hollowell made it with the Giants.

Bingham made it with the Chargers, but he got hurt before the season and was on IR the whole year.

Kyle Larson was the Bengals punter the whole season.

Demorrio Williams played a big part in the Falcons defensive dominance.

Jammal Lord ended up on the 53 man roster for the Texans by the end of the season.

Jerrell Pippens made the Chargers team and was great on special teams.

Pat Ricketts just missed the final cut with the Falcons( :wtf )

You missed more than "someone". ESPN.com is a cool site, you should check it out sometime ;)

I forgot about Johnson and Larson.

I really had no idea about Bingham, Hollowell, Pippens, and Rickets. I dont watch much NFL football, its just doesnt have the passion of college football, and I find it boring, much like Big 10 football.

(Im afraid NU will look like that if bc/kc ever get their systems installed).

Gentlemen I think we are getting too emotional over something we have no control over. Pederson fired Frank, the regents gave him that power. I didn't like it but my one week suspension from this board allowed me to see that it's not worth it. It's like arguing politics. There are two sides. In a few years if things are going nowhere in spite of having good recruits, then it's time for the whole administration to go. I'm letting it go for now but I will forever hold Pederson's quote over his head. He said it's about winning championships. Him and his coach better deliver. For now let's just see what happens or you guys can continue debating what the hell. :cheers

Gentlemen I think we are getting too emotional over something we have no control over. Pederson fired Frank, the regents gave him that power. I didn't like it but my one week suspension from this board allowed me to see that it's not worth it. It's like arguing politics. There are two sides. In a few years if things are going nowhere in spite of having good recruits, then it's time for the whole administration to go. I'm letting it go for now but I will forever hold Pederson's quote over his head. He said it's about winning championships. Him and his coach better deliver. For now let's just see what happens or you guys can continue debating what the hell. :cheers

LOL :woo