early signing period?

i don't know the rules and regulation of the NCAA but... wouldn't it make sense to have an early signing period just like in basketball...or maybe even go as far as letting a player sign a LOI as soon as they become a senior...seems like more and more high seniors are taking teams for a ride...sometime a team is left scrambling at the last minute because a player decides to go somewhere else and it goes both ways too...this way it would save both sides alot time and headache.....teams would have more time to regroup if let say a player decommitt to elsewhere

I don't know what the NCAA does, but the organization needs to lay out how H.C. players should go through the whole recruiting process (maybe it already does), and how kids should completely check out each school they are interested in. There should be a checklist of things to look for. The high schools and parents should help with this process. There should be a big emphasis on this before a kid commits. And then when a kid does commit to a school, other schools should not be allowed to contact him unless he decommits. A commitment should mean hands off to other schools. What's the point of a commitment when other schools can still try to recruit them.

I do remember as a youth in the early '70s when there was an early conference LOI -- at least there was in the Big Eight. Once the kid signed a LOI, other Big Eight schools could no longer recruit him, but schools from other conferences could. I am not saying we should return to this. I am just sharing.

I'm going to disagree with the general course of this thread. I think the main problem right now is that we have the concept of a "commitment" when what it really is, is "hold a spot for me". Maybe we should just use a new term to describe "commits" since that isn't what it means at all. Anybody got any good ideas?

I don't know what the NCAA does, but the organization needs to lay out how H.C. players should go through the whole recruiting process (maybe it already does), and how kids should completely check out each school they are interested in. There should be a checklist of things to look for. The high schools and parents should help with this process. There should be a big emphasis on this before a kid commits. And then when a kid does commit to a school, other schools should not be allowed to contact him unless he decommits. A commitment should mean hands off to other schools. What's the point of a commitment when other schools can still try to recruit them.

I do remember as a youth in the early '70s when there was an early conference LOI -- at least there was in the Big Eight. Once the kid signed a LOI, other Big Eight schools could no longer recruit him, but schools from other conferences could. I am not saying we should return to this. I am just sharing.

The NCAA actually does provide some information for recruits and parents - may not be precisely what you're talking about. See HERE.