Sadler

linky

NU, Sadler to discuss contract changes

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 - 09:01:24 pm CDT

Nebraska athletic department officials are expected to discuss changes in the contract of men’s basketball coach Doc Sadler, possibly including a raise or contract extension, according to two sources close to the situation.

Sadler signed a six-year contract worth $700,000 annually when he was hired on Aug. 8, 2006.

Sadler, on his way home Tuesday from a recruiting trip, said by phone he hadn’t looked at any official changes in his contract. He said he planned on meeting Wednesday with athletic director Tom Osborne and executive associate athletic director Marc Boehm in a regular end-of-season review.

“Coach has been tremendously supportive and appreciates the job that we’re doing,” Sadler said of Osborne.

Sadler, in two seasons at Nebraska, has a 37-27 record. This season, he led the Huskers to a 20-13 record — the program’s first 20-win season since 1998-99, and only the 12th in school history — and to the second round of the National Invitation Tournament.

Nebraska, picked to finish 10th in the Big 12 Conference, was seventh with a 7-9 record. The Huskers defeated four teams that qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Senior center Aleks Maric graduates, the only player currently lost from a team that included four players who redshirted.

Sadler did squelch any talk of his name being linked to the coaching vacancy at Oklahoma State. Sean Sutton resigned under pressure Tuesday.

Sadler let out a string of 13 “no’s” when asked about him being a potential candidate at OSU.

“I can’t say (my name) won’t be mentioned, but I’m not going to participate in that,” Sadler said.

“My deal is I’m committed to Nebraska, and I think we’ve got things going in the right direction, and we look forward to next season.”

Sadler did express sympathy for Sutton. Sadler coached under Sean’s father, Eddie, and baby-sat Sean and his brother, Scott.

“I’ve known Sean for a long time, and I feel sorry for him and his family,” Sadler said. “I want to wish him the very best. I’m sure he will land on his feet. He’s put a lot into that program. Everything will work out I’m sure.”

this is good news, I hope Doc sticks around for awhile and builds the program into a powerhouse (yes, basketball) I think he deserves a raise for what he has done :koolaid2:

Good for him.

I'm pretty sure we won't be able to keep him around forever, but I hope he stays as long as possible.

as i said before, i think the only way he's going to leave, is gonna be for arkansas.. i just don't see his personality being that of any of the other bigger schools that may be worth it.. but who knows.. hopefully thats the case, he def. seems to have his whole self invested in the program

I am sure if UNC offered, he would go and I wouldn't blame him either.

update- http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...b7796781006.txt

Two-year extension for Sadler

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 - 04:21:20 pm CDT

After his second season at Nebraska, a year in which the Huskers reached the second round of the NIT, Doc Sadler on Wednesday agreed to a two-year contract extension.

NU’s head men’s basketball coach will be guaranteed $800,000 a year through the 2013-14 season. Sadler’s original six-year deal was worth $700,000 a year.

“Doc Sadler has done an exceptional job of motivating and preparing his basketball team this past season,” Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said. “We are very pleased that he has committed to staying at Nebraska for an extended period of time. We believe the future of Nebraska bBasketball is bright under Doc’s leadership.”

Sadler is 37-27 at Nebraska. This past season, he led the Huskers to a 20-13 record — the program’s first 20-win season since 1998-99, and only the 12th in school history.

The Huskers defeated three nationally ranked opponents, knocking off Oregon and Kansas State at home, along with a road victory at Texas A&M. The three wins over ranked teams are the most by Nebraska since 1999, and the win in College Station was NU’s first road win over a ranked team in nine seasons.

The 47-year-old Sadler owns an 85-45 (.654) record in four years at the Division I level.

“First, I’d like to thank Coach Osborne, the administration and the fans for their commitment to the men’s basketball program,” Sadler said. “As I stated before, this is where my family and I want to live and this is where I want to build a championship program.

“Even though we’ve had some success the past two years, we are not at the level where we want to be, but I’m happy that people can see my commitment and the progress we are making within the program.”

Sadler’s contract includes incentives, giving him the opportunity to earn additional income for success in the basketball program, both on and off the court.

o and Ping is transfering, what a shame :sarcasm , but seriously I wished it would have worked out better for him, I think he had the right attitude just not skills. Now NU has enoguh schollys for both recuirts if Nieman is eligible

I love what Doc has done for Husker Hoops. After years of being dissapointed, it seems like we finally have some one who can recruit good players to Lincoln and coach them. My biggest fear is some one coming in (ala Okie State) who might be a more premiere program and taking doc away before he can really get the ball rolling. He def. has earned any extension and raise in my book!

o and Ping is transfering, what a shame :sarcasm , but seriously I wished it would have worked out better for him, I think he had the right attitude just not skills. Now NU has enoguh schollys for both recuirts if Nieman is eligible

I expect at least a couple more to transfer out by the start of next season.

I doubt it, Sadler mentioned during the season that one would be ineligble acedamecally or transfer. Wo do you think will transfer?

edit- I know my spelling is horrible

I won't mention any names, but I have sources from within that have helped contribute to that opinion.

I've seen that guard Strowbridge is going to transfer. Solid player, but not a big loss as we can easily replace him with redshirted players. Good luck Strow.

I've seen that guard Strowbridge is going to transfer. Solid player, but not a big loss as we can easily replace him with redshirted players. Good luck Strow.

source on this?