4/9/08 Practice notes

Wednesday's practice report

With nine practices in the books and Nebraska's Spring Game fast approaching, Husker coach Bo Pelini said he likes where his football team is at this spring.

Granted, Wednesday's practice inside of Memorial Stadium wasn't without its kinks.

"We're working some problems on both sides of the football (but) the effort has been good and we're staying fairly healthy," Pelini said.

What were the problems?

"Just a lot of mental things, a lot of scheme-oriented things, obviously a lot of technique areas and it goes all across," Pelini said. "We're not going to be satisfied until we're perfect."

Some people may be tired about hearing about Cody Glenn, but he continues to impress Pelini since moving to linebacker. The Husker coach said "(Glenn's) shown the ability that he can be a heck of a football player on that side."

Discussing other surprises of the spring, Pelini mentioned running back Roy Helu and defensive end Pierre Allen.

Pelini also sakd Major Culbert, after all those positions, appears "fairly locked in" at the safety spot.

Culbert said he just had to clean up some of the mental mistakes.

"When I don't do things right, the coaches don't even have to coach me," Culbert said. "I already know what I did wrong -- it's all mental. As long as I'm focused and keep my eyes on my keys, I should be golden."

Commenting on a couple of other players, Pelini said of receiver Niles Paul: "He's doing some good things. He's playing good football. Just like a lot of the guys, consistency is an issue. We want to see it every down, every play. The effort is there, but technique-wise, he's still learning."

About Terrence Moore: "He's getting better. He's pplayed the nose, he's played some three (positions), he gets better every day. He got a ton of reps out there today, and he's learning and progressing."

An injury note: Pelini said offensive lineman Keith Williams tweaked his shoulder during Wednesday's practice. "We'll see how that comes out," Pelini said. "Right now he's playing good football."

Link