New Husker Blog

I've started writing a blog for the website Fanu.com. On this site, I'll write a blog several times a week among other things. I've already got a few blogs up, and I try to write something beyond merely what's running in the papers.

One of the best parts of Fanu.com is that all schools are represented. So, add Nebraska fans as friends, add other schools as rivals. Write your own blogs, read one another's, build fan points, give yourself another reason to sit at the computer soaking in the joy of Husker football (and other NU sports). I want Nebraska to have the biggest crowd of fans on the site, so that no one can question Husker fans being the greatest in the nation!!

to visit my page, click HERE

and to sign up for your own FanU page, click HERE

join up and let's make the voice of Husker Nation be heard!!

Here's a quick example from my blog, posted today:

For all the hot ash swirling in the air after the Daily Nebraskan went after Pelini, it looks like there are furthur wrinkles to the way he'll handle player conduct.

Tom Osborne's Unity Council will be implemented again under Bo Pelini. This is a great idea. While it's not going to completely eliminate problem players (see: Lawrence Phillips, among others) it is going to provide a big boost, and it will lessen the potential for a rift between coaches and players. Members of the Unity Council have not yet been selected, and it's unlikely any voting will take place prior to the spring game this weekend. However, when it is installed, you can be sure of a few things:

- Team chemistry is going to be enriched. Having a collective of the team's most respected individuals voicing their opinions in cases of possible misconduct is going to keep the team on the same page. Any kid who decides to screw up is going to have to answer to (likely) seniors such as Todd Peterson, Matt Slauson, Lydon Murtha, Joe Ganz, and others. These players will have been selected by their virtues, most notably leadership and integrity. No player will be able to stand in the face of that board and continue to dissent. If he even dares, he'll be removed from the team.

- This Unity Council will have one stark contrast over the last one. This is speculative, but probably accurate. If Osborne had a weakness, it was that his care and concern for players sometimes led to too many chances, or too much elasticity. In later years, Osborne came to regret the opportunities he afforded Lawrence Phillips.

There's no way that's happening with Pelini. If you screw up, you're out of there. Black and white. There will be no second and third chances. Thus, the Unity Council will emulate their coach, and they will essentially be an extension of a tough-nosed guy who won't take any bullcrap from his team. He carries the same interests as Osborne, but it would be hard to say he doesn't strive to run a tighter ship.

Any thoughts on the Unity Council? Osborne first established it in the early 1990s, before the rash of run-ins with the law occurred. Does the UC have anything to do with this, or was it just a fluke? You have to keep in mind the socioeconomic factors occurring outside of Memorial Stadium, and outside of Lincoln. The streets were getting rougher, and those coming off the streets were hardened, independent, and carried the mindset of taking care of themselves, not letting someone else do it for them. That's a very simplistic view, but you get the idea.

All in all, I think the Unity Council will have a positive impact. I think Bo's enough of a fear to keep team conduct fairly in line, but I think the UC will help bring and keep the team together.

Can you expand on what exactly you mean by socioeconomic factors? Sure, times were a-changin'. But the Husker program had quite a lot of bad apples, as I understand. You can't account for that by blanket-covering everything to "socioeconomic" changes.

Hm, I'm also not quite sure you can say "probably accurate" about Pelini's toughness w.r.t Unity Council and discipline. Yeah, he has this persona and image, but we've yet to see him really deal with those situations. Which isn't entirely true (Josh Williams), but again, we haven't seen anything come out of that.