Assistant leaving

From LJS:

NU assistant joins Marquette

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 - 12:12:32 am CDT

The first person Doc Sadler hired on his Nebraska coaching staff is leaving the program after two seasons.

Veteran assistant men’s basketball coach Tony Benford on Thursday was named to the same position at Marquette, where Buzz Williams was recently hired as head coach.

“I really want to thank Coach Sadler for the opportunity to work on his staff at the University of Nebraska the past two years,” Benford said in a news release. “Doc is one of the best coaches in America, and I have no doubt that he will get Nebraska to the elite level in the near future.”

In Benford, the Huskers lose a key recruiter with ties in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. On the court, Benford coached Nebraska’s post players.

Sadler said he could have a replacement for Benford named within a couple of weeks. Some names to keep an eye on: Oklahoma State assistant James Dickey and Alvin Brooks, an assistant under Billy Gillispie at Kentucky and Texas A&M.

“I wish Tony the best and thank him for everything he’s done for the Husker program recently,” Sadler said. “He’s been nothing but a true professional to work with for the past two years, and we hope he continues to find success.”

This is Benford’s fifth assistant coaching job with an NCAA Division I school since he began at New Mexico in 1992.

“I think it’s going to be a situation where I’m working with Buzz, and not for him,” Benford told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “We’re working together for the same goal, which is to win a national championship. I think I can bring a lot to the table to help Buzz and help the program continue to be at an elite level.”

Benford is the first coach to leave Sadler’s staff, although another assistant, Phil Mathews, has shown interest in returning to the head coaching ranks.

Mathews recently withdrew his name from consideration for the head coaching job at Ventura College, where Mathews previously coached from 1985 to 1995. Mathews cited financial concerns — the position at the junior college would’ve been part time.

“He’d love to have a head coaching job,” Sadler said. “If they ever make it full time, I’m sure he’ll take it.”

In recruiting news, Sadler said it’s likely Nebraska’s lone scholarship opening for next season will remain vacant. The only exception, Sadler said, would be a Division I transfer. If that happens, though, the player would have to sit out next season.

“That could go on all summer,” Sadler said. “I don’t have anybody in mind right now.”

Should be interesting on who NU gets, I don't know how important he actually is but it will be interesting what will change without him.

• 2 weeks later...