QB Josh Nunes

VERBAL COMMIT TO TENNESSEE.

Holy crap. Tennessee is having an amazing year ... in recruiting. Didn;t they just sign another QB that NU was about to offer?

I think you might be thinking of RB Jarvis Giles....

I believe OP was referring to the Petty kid we offered at QB.

• 3 months later...

And the dominoes begin to fall. Don't necessarily need Nunes, but only a matter of time before someone shakes out that Nebraska wants.

Boos or distance? Nunes now says he's a 'soft verbal'

Tennessee’s frustrating season took a turn towards the recruiting trail on Wednesday.

The Vols seem to have all but lost Josh Nunes, the quarterback from Upland (Calif.) High School who committed to UT in June.

The 6-foot-3, 208-pounder is considered one of the top 20 pro-style quarterbacks in the nation. Before committing to UT, Nunes was considering Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Arizona State among others.

In an e-mail sent Wednesday to the News Sentinel, Nunes said in a statement he had changed his commitment to a “soft verbal”.

“My reason is based on the distance and difficulty getting there from my home,” Nunes wrote.

Nunes said trying to return home for a family emergency during one of his visits emphasized the distance between Knoxville and Upland, which is 40 miles east of Los Angeles.

Nunes also expressed concern that his extended family would have trouble making the trip with any regularity.

Nunes, who was at the Rose Bowl for the season opener at UCLA on Sept. 1, visited UT last weekend for the Florida game. The Vols (1-2) lost 30-6 and were booed on a handful of occasions.

“It’s unfortunate,” Nunes’ father, Tim Nunes, said. “Unfortunately, it happens at every stadium. They’ll get it going.”

A source close to UT’s program said the Nunes family had expressed concern about booing even before the Florida game. The Vols were also booed at times in a 35-3 win against UAB the previous week.

Offensively, UT has struggled with untimely mistakes in the first three games.

Tim Nunes maintained that his son’s decision wasn’t based on UT’s struggles, saying the Vols will soon have a “superstar” offense. Tim Nunes also said that coming into a rebuilding situation has advantages for a high school quarterback.

“The distance has reared its ugly head,” Tim Nunes said in a telephone interview. “It was different than he has anticipated.

“He loves it (UT). It’s just the actual location of Knoxville is tough for us.”

Tim Nunes said his son was too busy with school and football practice to talk the media.

When Josh Nunes suddenly committed to UT before even visiting Knoxville in June, he cited a strong relationship with UT offensive coordinator Dave Clawson as the primary reason he picked the Vols.

“I’ve done a lot of research on the schools I’ve been looking at,” Nunes said shortly after his commitment. “You can’t go wrong at Tennessee. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. I just felt like I should jump on it.”

Tim Nunes said his family had flight delays on both trips to Knoxville — in late July and last weekend.

“We thought it was just an easy jump to the airport,” Tim Nunes said. “It’s a bummer but he said, ‘I can’t put everybody through this.’ ”

Although Josh Nunes said he is still considering UT, the parties seem farther apart than Knoxville and Upland.

“I am not closing the doors at UT from my side and I still think highly about the program, esp

Committed to Stanford:

Nunes apologizes to UT, commits to Stanford

Just a few days after informing Tennessee he was opening his recruitment, quarterback Josh Nunes changed his commitment from the Vols to Stanford on Saturday after the Cardinal made an unexpected scholarship offer.

Nunes, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound senior at Upland (Calif.) High School, said in an e-mail, “I want to say that I feel that any quarterback at the University of Tennessee will be lucky to play with the current players, coaches, and recruits. I had a great experience throughout my recruitment with the Tennessee program. I would like to apologize to the University of Tennessee as I had mistakenly thought that I would not have an opportunity to play at Stanford.

“Stanford has always been my dream to attend and for the past three years, ever since I’ve been coached by him (coach Jim Harbaugh) at his camp, it’s been my dream to play for Coach Harbaugh. Stanford is the only school I’ve camped at for the past few years and I believe that I have to follow my heart.

“I’ve been able to have a great relationship with the entire Stanford program having made probably 10 trips up to the campus and games. I will be able to stay close to my family and attend one of the greatest universities in the world. I’m proud and excited to be able to say that I can play for the Stanford Cardinal.”

Nunes told the News Sentinel through an e-mail Wednesday that his commitment was “soft” because of the proximity of Knoxville.

“My reason is based on the distance and difficulty getting there from my home,” Nunes wrote.

More Tennessee decommits to come?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/sep/26...aged-by-booing/