"We want BO"

For all of us that want Bo as the next coach, we have to understand why Pederson couldn't just hire him. NU needed a coach with experience. To give the job to someone without any could hurt, although now it appears this will happen.

NU tried. On ESPN the gameday crew basically humiliated NU again by poking fun at the fact that SP was going to hire Nutt, saying this is a step down from Solich.

Hire Bo and be done with it.

Guest Husker 21

I'm not for "Bo". Bo won one game as an interim head coach against an over-rated Michgan State team that lost to Louisiana Tech this year. The offense still was stagnant. (17 points isn't an explosion).

I was one that thought Houston Nutt was a step down from Solich, and I think Pelini would be a leap backwards. We spent many years building a powerhouse program, and now we're going to give the keys to someone who has never been a head coach, and gave up 41 points to Missouri, 31 to Texas. and 38 to Kansas State, the only three decent offenses we played before Michigan State.

If we're willing to shell out $2 mil for a coach, we can afford to go get a winner. Maybe Urban Meyer, Dan Hawkins, Pat Hill, or any of those guys that win year in and year out without the luxury of support or athletic budget and recruiting power that Nebraska has. If Bo wants the job, let him go elsewhere to get his head coaching experience, THEN come back. If Pederson is willing to fire Solich after a 9-3 season, he'll get rid of his replacement the first sign of weakness.

I'm not for "Bo". Bo won one game as an interim head coach against an over-rated Michgan State team that lost to Louisiana Tech this year. The offense still was stagnant. (17 points isn't an explosion).

1. We were three catches away from 35 points. The players have to make the

plays. That's not on the coaches.

2. He won a BOWL game on his first time out, which is more than can be said of

OSBOURNE in the early 90's.

I was one that thought Houston Nutt was a step down from Solich, and I think Pelini would be a leap backwards. We spent many years building a powerhouse program, and now we're going to give the keys to someone who has never been a head coach, and gave up 41 points to Missouri, 31 to Texas. and 38 to Kansas State, the only three decent offenses we played before Michigan State.

Again, the coach doesn't play the game. He calls the defense and the players

execute. If the offense calls the right plays at the right times, they can make the

defense look inept as can be. I mean, cmon, this is basic football stuff!!! You are not

giving enough credit to those teams you mentioned. K-State isn't exactly Troy State.

I will agree that hiring Bo would be kind of risky in that he has never head coached

before. However, I do think he has the coaching ability to be a great head coach.

Guest Husker 21

We're Nebraska. Why do we have to take a chance? We have enough money (apparently) and the tradition to attract a quality proven head coach. Why settle for someone with no experience?

If Pederson will make a few phone calls, he could make a justifiable hire, but I wonder if he is even intelligent enough to dial the phone for himself.

I'd have to say that Im in the camp of not being convinced that Bo is the guy. I just think that most of Husker nation got sucked into the "Bo phenomenon", and it just snowballed from there. Yes Bo is an engaging, exciting and inspired coach. Yes he PROBABLY has the tools to get it done and be a great coach, someday. But Im with Husker21, why do we have to take a chance on an unproven head coach?

Just b/c Bo has been with the program for a year now, and the players have attached themselves to him, and he is a Stoops protege, and Jim Tressel knows him - these should not validate him as a head coach. I think most of us are looking for a "comfortable" move, b/c we are so used to promoting from within, and right now Bo seems the closest and best from within, b/c of this positive press he has received. Dont be manipulated by the media. And dont think Bo wouldnt bolt if a better offer came along, in the NFL etc.

I know this is hearsay, but Ive heard from multiple sources that Bo has made it clear to SP that he would want an "out clause" in his contract, allowing him to leave along the way if he desired. As well as him indicating that he may not be back as DC if doesnt get the gig........ all these are signs of someone who is flighty, and maybe even a bit hedonistic, in that he appears to be someone who is all about "what will promote Bo" the fastest to the top, rather than taking one for the team, and putting in his time for the sake of the program.

But then again Im not unrealistic to think that even if we did land a big name "proven" head coach, that he wouldnt be the same way. Fact is this is a new era. Gone is the era of coaches patronage for the team simply b/c they have roots deeper than Dee Sniders weave. So I guess we just have to take a calculated risk, and hope the new coaches name doesnt rhyme with Pooheisel.

:ph34r:

good points blackshirt, i guess i dont have any real reasons for wanting Bo myself, just seems like the best guy. but I agree if we can get a more expereinced guy lets take him.

im just afraid that the more this goes on the less some of those big names like Chow, Spurrier (sorry) and others are likely to even consider us. Think of how it would look and affect Spurriers ego if he was lableled our 3rd choice!! :o he couldnt handle that, even if it isnt true that we offered those others guys anything.

I have to say that I don't really want Bo to get the job. While I agree he seems to be a spectacular coach and even fairly adept at recruiting, I also think he is using this opportunity to make a jump back to the NFL. I just get the feeling that he has aspirations that go beyond Lincoln or any college team for that matter. I think he is one of "the next young great coaches" ala Stoops and Saban, but I just think he doesn't want to stay in Lincoln long enough for the Cornhuskers to get the kind of stability that we want and need.

• 9 years later...

If we're willing to shell out $2 mil for a coach, we can afford to go get a winner. Maybe Urban Meyer, Dan Hawkins, Pat Hill, or any of those guys that win year in and year out without the luxury of support or athletic budget and recruiting power that Nebraska has. If Bo wants the job, let him go elsewhere to get his head coaching experience, THEN come back. If Pederson is willing to fire Solich after a 9-3 season, he'll get rid of his replacement the first sign of weakness.

From the archives.....