NU still after JUCO recruits

NU still after JC recruits

DUANE ROSSITER

The previous Husker coaching staff relied heavily on recruiting junior college players. The thought was to bring in talent that was ready to insert into the lineup the first year they got on campus. It did not work to the degree that was hoped.

The current coaches are concentrating on the high school players who have checked out and without too much attention to ratings given by recruiting services. In other words, if a player meets their criteria, the player is offered. If they have five stars, that is fine, but having those five stars are not necessarily the key. Getting what you want is more important - or so we all hope.

Having said that, I have run across two junior college players who could end up getting offers.

The first one is a cornerback, who has been in contact with the current staff for months and has the skills - hopefully. The other one is currently being looked at, but a lot will depend on this season's performance and whether any high school players can be recruited. Two high school defensive tackles have committed already, but the need is there for one like the one below.

Cornerback Joseph Bangali is definitely open to any Division I school that is looking at his film highlights, but Bangali would not mind playing the same team with his close friend. Larry Asante and the 5-foot-10, 185-pounder are both from Alexandria, Va. and that friendship could end up being a factor in Nebraska's favor.

"I have great interest in Nebraska," said Bangali, who is from Thatcher, Ariz., and plays for Eastern Arizona College. "They said that they like what they see, but they just need a little bit more. They said if I have a real good season . . ."

Nebraska is not the only university that is checking out his highlight tapes and a Conference USA school could be the first one to offer him.

"Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State and Kansas State are looking at my tapes," he said. "Right now, I have talked to a lot of people, but none of them has pulled the trigger.

"But, East Carolina is really interested and Nebraska is really interested. Those are the (main) two," he said.

Considering the fact that Bangali played his entire freshman year with a broken left thumb and with a cast on it, he ended up with some respectable stats.

"I had 30 tackles," he said. "I still managed to get two interceptions and one of those interceptions was against Snow (College) and at their place, too. I had four pass breakups, two fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles," he said.

Being aggressive on the football field would seem to be one of his top attributes. However, his speed is another definite plus.

"I don't want my speed to be number one, as I want to be fundamentally sound and just do a lot of film work. I have just got to be wherever the ball is," he said.

Eastern Arizona cornerback Joseph Bangali could be one to watch for a late offer this fall from the Huskers. Keep his name in mind.

Nothing is certain in recruiting, but it is very likely that junior college defensive tackle Edwin Herbert could be high on more lists than he is aware. The 6-foot-3, 285-pound lineman has already begun to get attention from Nebraska and schools from all over the country. If Nebraska is looking for that immediate help up front and if they are looking for a player that has strength and proven results, Herbert might just be the answer.

"Right now, I'm at 6-3 and 285. We just did 225 (pounds) at the school the other day and I did it 33 times. We just maxed right before we left for spring and I did 465," said Herbert, who is from San Francisco and plays for City College of San Francisco.

As you can see, his strength is just incredible. He claims a 4.81-second 40-dash time, which is extremely quick for a player his size.

Herbert can not wait until the 2008 season gets started. He feels that his work during the past off season will pay off big-time.

"I feel I will do real well and be dominate this year," he said. "I had my own will as a true freshman, so this year I'm a lot faster and a lot stronger and I'm going to be a big impact on the field."

Nebraska has shown interest and I understand that he could be under strong consideration for later in the fall.

"Nebraska came to one of my practices, but they left before the practice got over with. I haven't actually spoke with a Nebraska recruiter face to face or over the phone yet, but a lot of people and my coaches have told me they are interested. It is also a fine, fine program with great history, great facilities, great coaching and a strong program."

Next week, we will be back to looking at the high school prospects, but I thought you should be aware of what is going on on the junior college recruiting.

"Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State and Kansas State are looking at my tapes,"

I cannot wait until we start recruiting against schools like Texas, Texas A&M, OU, and maybe UCLA and Notre Dame on a consistent basis.

Recruiting against USC is out of the question.

• 3 weeks later...
"Arizona, Arizona State, New Mexico, New Mexico State and Kansas State are looking at my tapes,"

I cannot wait until we start recruiting against schools like Texas, Texas A&M, OU, and maybe UCLA and Notre Dame on a consistent basis.

i would like to see nu get Edwin Herbert , even if he,s a juco,,this guy is not chop liver, and would be a great addtiion to the team.

i would like to see nu get Edwin Herbert , even if he,s a juco,,this guy is not chop liver, and would be a great addtiion to the team.

No kidding, Herbert is at the very least a physical freak in best of all senses --- at 285 to run a 4.81 is awesome --- to bench 465 is really good burst strength and 33 reps shows great stamina. That kind of raw physicality gives coaches a great deal with which to work.