new radio show

Don't expect cheap talk on Murtaugh's new radio show

BY JOHN MARTIN FEY

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Jerry Murtaugh nods his head when asked if he can relate to the woes of last Nebraska football season, when the team went 5-7.

Murtaugh was a linebacker on the 1967 and '68 teams that suffered back-to-back 6-4 records - the worst in the 11-year Bob Devaney era.

"I'd get threatening phone calls," Murtaugh said, "and I mean threatening. When Oklahoma beat us 47-0 on national TV (in 1968), I couldn't believe the stuff I was hearing.

"All the coaches were going through this. These young players the past couple years, I know exactly what they've gone through."

Murtaugh anguished as NU's winning tradition slipped with two losing seasons in the past four. Worse, it appeared to many former players that the school turned its back on them.

Murtaugh, for one, is glad to see that under Athletic Director Tom Osborne, the legends of the past are being welcomed back. And that also makes the timing of Murtaugh's new venture ideal.

The 1970 All-American is counting the days until the Legends Radio Show premieres on Aug. 30. It will be the fruition of an idea planted in Murtaugh's mind about three years ago.

"People mentioned to me, 'You ought to get something going like this,'" he said. "I thought about it and thought it would be a good idea."

The tumultuous seasons under Bill Callahan inspired Murtaugh to pursue the venture.

"They weren't winning like they should," Murtaugh said. "People were getting down in the state. They weren't used to this.

"So I said, 'Let's do something to build back the energy. Let's bring back the past a little bit - all the excitement.'"

Murtaugh will co-host the show with Gary Java Saturday mornings on KXSP (590 AM).

Perhaps it's fitting that a Husker legend be co-host, although Murtaugh doesn't consider himself worthy of that status.

"I don't ever consider myself a great football player," said Murtaugh, whose 342 career tackles stood as a school record until broken by Barrett Ruud's 432 in 2004. "I had great athletes around me. Just because you make that tackle, that's my job."

Murtaugh is excited about his new job and making the program available to as many people as possible. When it debuts, the Legends Radio Show also will be online.

Former players will be the stars - and it won't be just about football.

"We're doing all sports - men and women," he said. "When basketball season comes around, we're going to bring back the former athletes.

"If you want a guy who is 80 years old and still alive, I'll get him for you live on radio."

Murtaugh originally began working on the proposal with former Athletic Director Steve Pederson and he thought highly of him - even after Pederson's ouster from the university last October.

"Every time I went in there," Murtaugh said, "I had no problems seeing Steve Pederson. I would call, and he'd return my calls. There was a good relationship there with Steve."

Murtaugh sounded torn over news about the firing.

"Steve made a lot of mistakes," he said, "but then again, Steve bled red. You have to remember he was from North Platte. He was a ball boy here."

"Every time I went in there," Murtaugh said, "I had no problems seeing Steve Pederson. I would call, and he'd return my calls. There was a good relationship there with Steve."

Of course Pederson would talk to Jerry Murtaugh, anyone who knew him would be afraid to turn him down for anything, even if he has mellowed with age. :)

post-4426-1216147255.gif

• 2 months later...

This is the radio show that the blue hairs that like to sit on their a$ses at memorial stadium, like to listen to.

Ouch!

I would've never guessed...But I have been noticing a few gray hairs..And unnesscessary hairs growing in weird spots on my ears.. <_< (Went from a late Boomer directly to a Blue Hair) :cry

I don't know why..But I just like Murtaugh..One of the funniest people I've seen on video for awhile.

Sorta reminds me of someone...Not sure who....Dorf on Golf?