Want Husker opinions on LSU

KTeamLSU

First off, congrats on a great recruiting class. I was glad to see you guys take Lucky from the West Coast, I think he will be a stud.

Now for the topic:

LSU after losing Nick Saban and Will Muschamp (DC) to the Miami Dolphins, have now hired Les Miles (OSU) and Bo Pelini (NEB/OU). Do you guys see these as "settle for" hires or as quality guys that will get the job done with our talent next year. I know Pelini had a great Pass and Scoring D at Neb in '01, but looked very suspect at OU this year (he was in charge of secondary). I know Husker fans are known for their statistical knowledge of Big XII and I respect you guys winning history. What is your opinion of the state of our coaching staff for next season.

First off welcome to the board. I think your going to get a wide range of views on Pelini. Some love the guy others think he's a joker.

I personally enjoyed Pelini. Players really bought into his system. He'll throw a lot more zone out on the field. NU had a ton of INt's that year. But then he would do something stupid. One example was after the KSU game when NU got their ass kicked at home for the first in decades, Pelini started an arguement with Snyder about running the score up!!!! This is after years of NU beatin on teams by 50 on a regular basis.

I do know this years team had a tough time adjusting to COsgrove. Whether it was the idea of having to learn the third system in three years or that they loved Pelini so much??? Don't know

You'll get more from the rest of the board.. :cheers

BTW. I have always loved LSU, especially when they came to Omaha for college baseball. You guys drink more than anyone or anything I have ever witnessed.

Geaux Huskers ....Geaux Tigers.

:cheers to that. Yeh welcome aboard LSU. Always respected you guys too. LIke eric said mostly because of baseball, but you seem to be moving in the right direction in football too. Personally I think you guys got a couple steals. Les Miles has done some damn good things at a lower rate program, so give him the LSU resources and look the hell out. Bo Pelini is also a dam fine coach. I think he was a bit restricted by being "co" DC. he will flourish leading the show. One thing youll notice is the players will run through a brick wall for tha guy, he has that charisma about him. best of luck.

Thanks Eric, I have always loved the Huskers... and you guys have handed it to us on many occasions. I remember an older gentlemen and I were talking about Nebraska a year or so ago. I asked him "Why doesn't LSU set up and home and away with the Huskers, would be tons of fun and our fans already respect each other". He said "After the last ass cuttin' the Husker handed us, I told one of their fans, that I'll agree you guys are great, if you agree never to play us again". I like what Callahan is doing at Nebraska, but don't understand how your defense plummeted so much last year.

Zone... that is what I was afraid off. Saban usually played a very aggressive man cover, which burned us a couple of times, but our DBs got better and we usually put teams on lockdown. See LSU v OU '03. The zone just seems a little to soft cover for me. I am not really worried about our Offense, because I think Les and Jimbo will open up the playbook a little more (Saban played very close to his belt). I just hope our hybrid "Black/Bandits" (Chinese Bandit Defense '58, and maybe a tad of "Blackshirt line play" will be as dominant as it has been for the past couple years.

As far as baseball goes, I have never had the opportunity to come to Rosenblatt for the CWS, but I graduate law school in 2 years and after that I will make the 'pilgrimage to Mecca". How is your team stacking up this year? We are preseason #2/3/5 (like always) but are actually stacked at pitcher with a starting rotation of 3 leftys (we brought in some JUCO talent this year). We also bring back some good bats with C. Harris, R. Patterson, and Liuzza all back. Should be a great season, and hope to see you guys in the CWS.

Geaux Huskers

Geaux Tigers

Our D dropped off the map b/c we lost one of the best playas to ever strap on the scarlet and cream named Demorrio Williams. Now with teh Falcons. Also lost a couple other key guys that put heavy pressure on the QB which made our average secondary look all-world. Combine that with switching from zone to man coverage and the 3rd defensive scheme for these poor guys in 3 years and the blackshirt debacle of 2004 is yoru net result.

I think "Super" Bo is a good hire. Hopefully he stays more then a year. He seemed to get a lot out of the kids in 2003. I just think he has some growing up to do. I think Les Miles was a real good hire. He had OSU going in the right direction.

I'm with you on the man to man instead of zone also. Let the athletes line up and get it done.IMO

Oh yeah welcome to the board.

I thought Les Miles was a step down from Saban, but Ok State was pretty bad before he got there and he got 2 straight wins against Oklahoma in 01 and 02. He did turn that program around, but this year they didn't seem to be all that great, I am sure a lot had to do with the fact that Josh Fields went pro for baseball and Tatum Bell and Rashaun Woods are now in the NFL. I agree with newearth that Pelini needs to grow up. His stay at Nebraska was so short it's kinda hard to draw conclusions about him. He got the D fired up and they played great against the lesser teams, and they got trounced by the better teams. At Oklahoma, he didn't really prove or disprove anything because OU ended up with the same result as they did last year, a national title game loss. I hope he turns out to be a good hire for LSU, because I have lots of respect for LSU fans. The LSU fans are the most fun to hang out with down at the CWS!

I agree with you there Bernard. That's one of the drawbacks of getting the young, talented, dynamic guys - it's hard to keep them in coordinator/assistant positions for long.

Bo will be really good for LSU - especially in a conference where you don't need to worry about KSU chop blocks ;)

IRISH!

I think that both are good hires, but Miles is probably a step down from Saban. I would expect them to consistently play in bowls and challenge for the SEC Champ., but I see the NC being outside their reach, IMO.

But wouldn't any hire have been a step down??

Miles has done some quality work down at LSU and he's going to have a great recruiting base to choose from. Louisiana is one of the best states for high school football.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I think that Les, although not the most stellar of hires, is a solid coach with solid recruiting talent. I think he is surrounding himself with great assts. and we should not see any drop off in our defense, and our offense should get a much needed boost. Hopefully in the next couple of years we will stay on top and see you guys rise from the ashes of rebuilding your football program from a dynasty to another dynasty. There is enough room at the top for both of us.

On another note, LSU baseball had a great night against Nichols St. (in state school) only gave up one run (unearned) and had 2 - 3 run HR, a 2 run HR, and a HR (4 total)(12 runs on 10 hits). Our offense is looking great and our defense is looking stable (sat 2 starters tonight). Pitching will be lights out this year. How is Nebraska's baseball team looking this season? Potential for CWS?

Geaux Tigers

Geaux Huskers

P.S. How many years does Callahan get to implement his system, and do you think that the "West Coast" Offense will work, as opposed to a run oriented, play action type Offense ie mobile QB, stud RB and short to mid yardage passing attack (that I thought Neb. should have shifted to)?

Miles has done some quality work down at LSU and he's going to have a great recruiting base to choose from.  Louisiana is one of the best states for high school football.

So hes coached there b4?

I think he was refering to landing some good quality recruits on short notice (Ryan Perriloux, Brandon Lafell, Ricky Jean-Francios, etc.) and hiring a great staff (bringing Porter and Monken from OSU, hiring Jimbo Fischer back again, getting Pelini as DC, K. Dunbar left the Bears DL staff to coach the same at LSU, and last getting Brad Peveto from MTSU to be our special teams coach).

Thanks for your opinions guys. I think that Les, although not the most stellar of hires, is a solid coach with solid recruiting talent. I think he is surrounding himself with great assts. and we should not see any drop off in our defense, and our offense should get a much needed boost. Hopefully in the next couple of years we will stay on top and see you guys rise from the ashes of rebuilding your football program from a dynasty to another dynasty. There is enough room at the top for both of us.

On another note, LSU baseball had a great night against Nichols St. (in state school) only gave up one run (unearned) and had 2 - 3 run HR, a 2 run HR, and a HR (4 total)(12 runs on 10 hits). Our offense is looking great and our defense is looking stable (sat 2 starters tonight). Pitching will be lights out this year. How is Nebraska's baseball team looking this season? Potential for CWS?

Geaux Tigers

Geaux Huskers

P.S. How many years does Callahan get to implement his system, and do you think that the "West Coast" Offense will work, as opposed to a run oriented, play action type Offense ie mobile QB, stud RB and short to mid yardage passing attack (that I thought Neb. should have shifted to)?

Not as up on Hukser hardball as I should be, but I know we have a stud 3rd baseman Alex Gordon who is getting more hype than any other in NU history. University of Nebraska third baseman Alex Gordon (Lincoln, Neb.) received a prestigious honor this week, as he was chosen as the National Preseason Player of the Year by Collegiate Baseball magazine He is a freaky pure talent who could be better than Erstad and Harvey when hes through.

Hopefully in the next couple of years we will stay on top and see you guys rise from the ashes of rebuilding your football program from a dynasty to another dynasty. There is enough room at the top for both of us.
:cheers Appreciate the love. Back atcha.

I think the overall feel is that Callahan will be given about 5 years to not succeed, or another 2 if he falls on his face like he did this pst year. Yes many agree with you thta we should have stuck to our B&B with the smash mouth game and gradually implemented the pass, which is what Slich was trying to do, but the powers that be didnt feel it was soon enuf. Best of luck to you guys LSU and bring your beer drinking hat and best jumbalaya recipe and get your ass to Dingervile!! :wasted