surprise that first game not on network TV

Big 12 officials are still scratching their heads over Fox Sports Net declining to show Nebraska's opening game under Bo Pelini against Western Michigan.

Entering the Big 12 spring meetings, sources said, it looked about 98 percent certain that FSN would pick the game. Then in a unexplained move, the network said no. The game now will be pay per view.

Of note: Phil Steele's preseason rankings list Western Michigan No. 40 and Nebraska No. 43.

Here's the rest of the article: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10403651

Big 12 officials are still scratching their heads over Fox Sports Net declining to show Nebraska's opening game under Bo Pelini against Western Michigan.

Entering the Big 12 spring meetings, sources said, it looked about 98 percent certain that FSN would pick the game. Then in a unexplained move, the network said no. The game now will be pay per view.

Of note: Phil Steele's preseason rankings list Western Michigan No. 40 and Nebraska No. 43.

Here's the rest of the article: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10403651

I HAVE said Western Michigan will give us a better game than a lot of people think. I still think NU wins it though.

Why is this surprising? Why would anyone other than Nebraskans watch two #40ish schools play? Neither team is a major --- or even remotely major program (at the moment --- NU, of course, has historically been awesome). But now, NU is a non-bowl type team hoping against hope for a better than .500 season. That is not a major TV draw for anyone. And, of course, neither is Western Michigan.

That said, it should be a close game and probably fun to watch.

Not to downplay WM but i dont see them winning. In fact i see us up buy at least 2 Tds. With last season fresh on our minds, a packed memorial stadium and the pride of husker nation. I say there gonna cream them. Buy half time itll be out of hand and after that a whole year of frustration taken out on poor WM. Im sorry i dont see this one as a close one. I see WM as that guy that practes with a heavyweight before the big fight. Your good but you just get beatdown.

Just My 2c worth. :cheers

I see this game being a blowout. Look at NU's last 3 season openers.

Nebraska's underachievement last year has everyone picking against them.

The fact that NU has handily won their last 3 openers means nothing other than the fact that in the last 3 seasons we've had an easy game each time. This one isn't as much. Look at similar oponents we've played, not the date of the game.

No way the first game is even close! It's in Lincoln and there will be tons of emotion by not only the players, but the fans as well. The stadium is going to be crazy!

You might be right. I think NU will win. But I would not think that a blowout is nearly as likely as a solid win (say a 14 point win) or even as likely as a close game (7 point differential or less). I would be surprised if NU lost --- but not wildly surprised.

This is not pre-1997 folks --- this is now --- and NU is not a lock over virtually anyone anymore. All games will likely be contested --- and most that will not will have NU on the wrong end of the score.

No way the first game is even close! It's in Lincoln and there will be tons of emotion by not only the players, but the fans as well. The stadium is going to be crazy!

Emotion and fans don't win games. If it did, we'd win every game in Memorial. Execution, preparation, and good players do. That said, I hope you're right. And I do see the crowd being at beyond fever pitch for that game.