Who knows the answer

We have used the variation of the Dime as early as '88, but we just didn't have the speed on the ends to rush a true passing QB. The 5-2 worked great when the Big 8 was primarily variations on the Wishbone, Speed Option, and Power I, typical "cold weather" northern state football. The move to 4-3 Base and 4-3 Dime was necessary with the inclusion of the SWAC teams to form the Big 12 from the "warm weather" southern states, which meant going away from the bulky run stopping defensive ends, to the slightly smaller - speedy prototypical "rush end" as it is known today. In today's football, defenses are facing another quandary of stopping the spread option. That may force coaches to revolutionize how the linebackers role in the overall defensive scheme will be utilized to neutralize the spread attack. One great big chess game.

We have used the variation of the Dime as early as '88, but we just didn't have the speed on the ends to rush a true passing QB. The 5-2 worked great when the Big 8 was primarily variations on the Wishbone, Speed Option, and Power I, typical "cold weather" northern state football. The move to 4-3 Base and 4-3 Dime was necessary with the inclusion of the SWAC teams to form the Big 12 from the "warm weather" southern states, which meant going away from the bulky run stopping defensive ends, to the slightly smaller - speedy prototypical "rush end" as it is known today. In today's football, defenses are facing another quandary of stopping the spread option. That may force coaches to revolutionize how the linebackers role in the overall defensive scheme will be utilized to neutralize the spread attack. One great big chess game.

it was necessary because when the huskers went to bowl games, they would get trounced by the florida teams.

I'll start by accepting the fact this post will be booed and laughed all the way back to 2003 by some, but hear me out.

From what I can tell, stopping the spread means smaller, quicker DE's and LB's, right? Just imagine this:

A simple ISO from a huge beefy Husker squad reminiscent of the '90s. The center handles the nose, the gaurd combos to the MIKE, and our huge over-powering tackle clears the smallish DE out of the play. Then, a huge FB comes busting through the line like a snorting bull and turns the smaller, quicker SAM into roadkill. All that's left after that is a 6-1+ 220+ lb. ball carrier to come behind the FB and stomp a mudhole in the safety, if he dares get in the way. The corner, by the way, will either be on his back, or out of bounds after a great block by our receiver.

I could describe a power option situation, but let's just say the story ends the same way - with a Husker TD.

Sure, it could be wishful thinking, but I believe the logic is there. In the Big 12, the big thing is the spread, and as mentioned; it seems stopping it means having quicker DE's and OLB's that can make plays in space and open-field tackles instead of taking up space and stuffing the run. I remember Osborne saying that the toughest team to prepare for was Oklahoma, because they were the only team that ran the Bone, and it required a completely different strategy and mindset than almost every other game on the schedule. I'm sure even back before the spread, Nebraska was an incredibly hard film study, as we were one of the only successful teams in the nation to utilize the power run/option game as a viable offensive strategy.

Now, I'll concede that it would be very hard to find a good option QB these days, but I think we could get someone. Also, this isn't totally just reaching for the past. It seems to me that if opposing defenses get smaller, a smashmouth running game could do quite nicely in controlling the clock, and keeping opposing offensive talent on the sidelines.

Once again, this is just a discussion, not an attack on the WCO (which definitely has its merits), and I'd like to know what others think in regards to the changing landscape of Big 12 football, not to mention around the nation.

post-5438-1219075891.jpg

A simple ISO from a huge beefy Husker squad reminiscent of the '90s. The center handles the nose, the gaurd combos to the MIKE, and our huge over-powering tackle clears the smallish DE out of the play. Then, a huge FB comes busting through the line like a snorting bull and turns the smaller, quicker SAM into roadkill. All that's left after that is a 6-1+ 220+ lb. ball carrier to come behind the FB and stomp a mudhole in the safety, if he dares get in the way. The corner, by the way, will either be on his back, or out of bounds after a great block by our receiver

Man I miss the good old days

• Plus1 1

I'll start by accepting the fact this post will be booed and laughed all the way back to 2003 by some, but hear me out.

From what I can tell, stopping the spread means smaller, quicker DE's and LB's, right? Just imagine this:

A simple ISO from a huge beefy Husker squad reminiscent of the '90s. The center handles the nose, the gaurd combos to the MIKE, and our huge over-powering tackle clears the smallish DE out of the play. Then, a huge FB comes busting through the line like a snorting bull and turns the smaller, quicker SAM into roadkill. All that's left after that is a 6-1+ 220+ lb. ball carrier to come behind the FB and stomp a mudhole in the safety, if he dares get in the way. The corner, by the way, will either be on his back, or out of bounds after a great block by our receiver.

I could describe a power option situation, but let's just say the story ends the same way - with a Husker TD.

Sure, it could be wishful thinking, but I believe the logic is there. In the Big 12, the big thing is the spread, and as mentioned; it seems stopping it means having quicker DE's and OLB's that can make plays in space and open-field tackles instead of taking up space and stuffing the run. I remember Osborne saying that the toughest team to prepare for was Oklahoma, because they were the only team that ran the Bone, and it required a completely different strategy and mindset than almost every other game on the schedule. I'm sure even back before the spread, Nebraska was an incredibly hard film study, as we were one of the only successful teams in the nation to utilize the power run/option game as a viable offensive strategy.

Now, I'll concede that it would be very hard to find a good option QB these days, but I think we could get someone. Also, this isn't totally just reaching for the past. It seems to me that if opposing defenses get smaller, a smashmouth running game could do quite nicely in controlling the clock, and keeping opposing offensive talent on the sidelines.

Once again, this is just a discussion, not an attack on the WCO (which definitely has its merits), and I'd like to know what others think in regards to the changing landscape of Big 12 football, not to mention around the nation.

When Pelini was giving a lecture on stopping spread offenses, one of his key slides was "be prepared to run the ball." When it comes to the chess game we call football, adaptation is the name of the game. Your defense is middle-sized and well-suited to the option and other run-based attacks? Fine, we'll spread our offense out so you have to cover the whole field. Our receivers are faster, so we should be successful. Now the LBs shrink down to assist in coverage. Defensive ends get smaller and quicker to rush the passer. What is the answer now when defenses have adapted to the spread?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the fullback. Plodding and slow, it is thought to be an outdated piece of yesteryear. If you want a power run game just enlist the aid of a bigger tailback. However common sense tells us that with a solid O-line eliminating the tackles, a bruiser at FB could be the answer to the spread. Four to six yard rushes. That's all you really need. Do that for three quarters and see how that defense feels.

Obviously having a monster FB isn't going to guarantee a 10-win season (else AtM would be dominating), but this is the same dance that speed and power have been doing since the dawn of time. I suspect a time may be coming when power will be shifted to offensive strategies and the SEC will get a bite taken out of it for a few years.

I agree completely, x.

I don't know if he'll get more carries or not, but it seems we'll be using Lawson at FB out of the I, and while he has great hands, I'm sure he could pick up some tough yards in key short yardage situations.

Castille is a bruiser, too, but I guess he's more in the mix for RB instead. I was watching last year's SEC Championship, and aside from Pelini's defense saving the game for LSU, the Tigers' bruising back, Hester, was just killing the smaller, faster Tennesse defense. He looked like a carbon copy of Castille, although I'd say Quentin is more versatile and shifty. I'm expecting good things this year from the running game...