Might need your help AR

Ok my fiance bought a new car last year I think in March or April 07 with only 33,000 miles on an 06' Chevy Impala. She bought the car at a local used car lot in Columbus and the warranty on the vehicle would be done at 36,000 miles. She did not get the extened warranty because she didn't read any reviews of any serious problems with the 06' Impala's.

Well last week her Fly Wheel broke on her Transmission and had to take it in at the Chevy Dealor in Sioux City. They informed her that it would cost $2,700 to fix it and that she would get her car back the next week. My fiance can't afford this because she's currently going to school for her Physician Assistant program and she's not allowed to work while going to school. So her Mom called Chevy to see if they could help out because that car's transmission shouldn't have gone out within 2 years. Chevy did tell them that they would help pay some of the cost not all of it which is the right thing to do.

So anyways I went with my fiance to pick up her car and she had to pay the full amount and that Chevy wasn't going to pay a dime after they said that they would pay for some of it. So this news made my future Mother N-Law furious and she called Chevy and they told her again that they would not pay a dime. So she's going to write a letter to the Company about this situation as well as myself because I was thinking about getting the new Malibu but might just go get a Toyota or a Nissan Altima or Maxima instead since Chevy won't stand behind their product.

So what should I do about this? Is there anything we can do??? Transmissions shouldn't go out within 2 years of a car and that Chevy isn't standing behind their products in which they so advertise about.

The first thing to do is to move this up the chain to the Regional Manager. They are there specifically for this kind of thing, and there is a good chance that they will get some degree of the cost cut, especically given the statement.

As for suing - well, the first thing you need to do is take it to a reputable mechanic and have it inspected and get a statement that the damage was not due to anything anyone who drove it since it's purchase did. If the mechanic agrees, you have a pretty good case. If not, the dealer will claim that any damage was due to the previous owner, and disavow any liability.

Also, be sure and let the regional manager know of the results if they are in your favor - that always helps.

And MAKE SURE you tell the Chevy dealer you want ALL of the old parts back. Then take those parts to another transmission shop to have them checked to make sure Chevy didn't charge you for a part you never needed.

I used to have a 98 Expedition (P.O.S. by the way) that would shake real hard when the tranny shifted into certain gears. I took it to the Ford dealership cuz we paid for the extended warranty. The extended warranty people said "we're not paying for it cuz you didn't service the transmission propery" (bastards). Ford looked at it and told me my tranny was toast and I would need a brand new one to the tune of about $2600. I told them I was getting a second opinion and took it to a local transmission shop to have it looked at. I explained to the guy what it was doing and he said "I know exactly what is wrong with it and it'll cost you about $100 to fix it". I told him to fix it. Come to find out, the bolts on the torque converter would work themselves loose and was a very common problem with Fords. The tranny shop fixed it and it worked like a champ. The guy said if it does it again, bring it back and they'll do the same thing. I ultimately got rid of that P.O.S. so I never had to have it re-done.

Contact your local TV station too. Most have those consumer help segments, and it is amazing how much different a reaction Chevy may have when a reporter asks them to pay the money. A couple grand is chump change to them, and a threat of bad pub can go along way, especially with how Chevy keeps losing sales to Toyota and Honda.

And over all you have hit on a major reason why I will never own a Big 3 car.

Have you used CARFAX to find out the history of your vehicle. Some states do not require salvage titles on used cars.

Never hear of broken flywheels much though. Make sure you get all the pieces from the repair shop. I suspect if it wasn't damaged from abuse, there might have been a slight impurity in the metal when it was cast. That would cause a hairline fracture too small to visually detect.