Ok, OK, I'm realllllly excited over Saturday's game, but I'm getting cranked up to rid the local skies of some 'streaking grey bombs of death' also. I've got several boxes of 3 inch .410 #8's loaded up and am ready to defend this country against the tyrannical rule of dovedom come Sept. 1st! Who else will be watching for their gnashing beaks and razor like talons, while listening for the ever so faint whistle of their powerful wings?

Is that the freezer count or daily quota? And I don't hunt any more just shoot paper and iron. So all the hunters out their need to send me their excess game. My preference includes (not in any particular order): pheasants, quail, doves, grouse(prairie chickens), deer and elk. Maybe speedgoats if someone has a good recipe on how to cook them.

Thank you for your time and consideration. :)

GBR

Well, I took the old 410 wingmaster out Monday evening and managed to stave off 23 attempted Dove attacks! I dropped and found 10 and WARNED the other 13... I think we're gonna cook these little boogers up like mountain oysters, breaded and deep fat fried. Now, I have to go do some reloading and get the price of these NOT SO CHEAP 410 shells back into REALITY a little. My Lord... Do the fuel barons have stock in 410 shell sales???

A dozen would be over the limit in this fair state. Know your game laws.

But I am ready.

Actually the daily bag limit here in NE is 15, and the possession limit is 30. Just helping you know your game laws. ;)

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/pdfs/dovefactsheet.pdf

Ah but in CA, where I am and according to Rawhide's profile is from, it is 10. And I got my 10, even with the damn 35mph winds all freaking day

I live in Ca. born in Lincoln, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away :laughpound

Don't shoot critters anymore but do accept charity. :)

Well, we've had a rather slow start to the dove season around here in my part of Kolorado. Two good days out the past 10... Last night I was able to secure my manhood by ridding our airspace of fourteen of the devilish creatures. Took about 35 shots to do it, but I DID MY DUTY.... How about you folks? Looks to slow down again because of the plunging arctic temperatures. Melting polar ice caps my ARSE!

When I started hunting doves when they reopened the season in the late 70's I was glad I reloaded shotgun shells. Burnt though a box for 8 of the wily critters. And I found out pheasant loads aren't the optimum load to be using.

My friends and I in high school use to go dove hunting after school in early fall. Loved it! They are second only to Quail in difficulty and fun IMO.

Love that BUG EATERS shirt! Kinda glad we changed our name tho... My dove season sucked like a funnel cloud in Kansas... I hunted hard for a week then gave up, I'll bet I didn't see 20 birds in that week. Maybe I was too late, maybe I was too early... Now I'm sightin' in my .223 for duck season. (Just kidding).

I put an AR together a while back, but ya know... I hate AR's! They're accurate (or can be I should say), they're kinda cool looking in a SWAT or tactical kinda way, but... So, I sold it, made a couple hundered bucks and called it good. Me, I'm an old gun kind a guy... Remington 81's, Ithaca 37's, old stuff... HOWEVER, my 223 is a new Stevens 200 (super cheap but pretty accurate and the value isn't hurt after it gets banged around!) with a Nikon prostaff 3X9. It'll kill prarie dogs, but you gotta head shoot em :) !

I don't discriminate with my guns. They all have their place.

I do however enjoy using non conventional weapons for hunting. The last picture that I posted is me with my Saiga-12. It works rather well for dove.

I noticed that Saiga in your dove-icide photo... I've allllllmost bought one in .410 a time or two, just 'cause. That's cool, I like to hunt with 'odd' or non-traditional guns. For years now I've only hunted upland game and doves with my mighty 870 .410. The 870 certainly isn't odd or different, but the gauge is... It's different, I hit good with it and if my shots are within 25 yards I drop birds... So, seeing the saiga out there is kinda neat.

Oh, I cheated this weekend and used my synthetic express 12 gauge to end the rampage of a greenhead that jumped off a drainage pond and was coming for my jugular, so nothing 'cool or unusual' about THAT gun, but sometimes I get lazy I guess...

Feels like I just keep bumping ancient threads in the forum, but oh well. Just got done diving across Nebraska and back... twice. Holy cow there's going to be some good dove hunting this year, they're everywhere.

Feels like I just keep bumping ancient threads in the forum, but oh well. Just got done diving across Nebraska and back... twice. Holy cow there's going to be some good dove hunting this year, they're everywhere.

First week of September can't come soon enough. Football and dove hunting are two of my favorite things.

Is there a difference between Doves and Pigeons?

I'd hate to risk breaking the tiles on my roof by shooting the "bass-turd varmit whitewashers" with my scoped out .22, plus I hate the thought of where the bullets might land....I'm thinking of getting some bamboo pot skewers and learn to use a blowgun.

First week of September can't come soon enough. Football and dove hunting are two of my favorite things.

Less than two weeks now!

I've got a problem. I have never dove hunted and my son really wants to go. I really want to go too.

So...I'm going to ask a stupid question.

How do you dove hunt? We have hunted just about everything else.

The best luck I ever had was sitting next to a windmill that spilled onto the ground. My dad and I used to be able to get our limit in about 30-60 minutes right before sundown. I think they like to drink out of shallow ponds and puddles. Also had some luck around corn and sunflower fields. They really like ditch weed too. Like most animals, they're more active in the morning and evening.

Don't get to carried away with camo or anything like that, they could never tell the difference between me and the windmill.

I've got a problem. I have never dove hunted and my son really wants to go. I really want to go too.

Find a mudhole in a pasture. Sit by it. There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basics.

http://www.basspro1source.com/index.php/component/k2/118-dove-hunting/821-dove-hunting-basics/821-dove-hunting-basics

I go in the rolling hills with lots of vetch, sunflowers, mullin and available water. Did very well on the opener and got my limit (15 in Ca now!)

We usually drive to a bunch of different windmills and park a little ways away from them and walk in and shoot when they flush. The best places we go have a windmill with a pond and a grove of thorn bushes up on a hill by the windmill. We can usually walk in and get them stirred up and they just continue to fly around. The love ditch weed and stink weed too so if you see any of that, you will usually find dove.