Throwing the bones

:wacko: What a stupid penalty................

What penalty? There is no rule change on this. See here:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/season_...es_changes.html

Many bones were thrown, both during the tunnel walk and during the game, and not one penalty was assessed because of it. I think someone's mistaken about some new penalty rule...

No, there is a new rule. Holtz and May were arguing about it Saturday night on ESPN. Holtz said college football isn't for entertainment and there shouldn't be any celebrations. May argued that the players are kids (18-22) and should be allowed to celebrate and show emotion.

One of the few times I will actually back Mark May...

:wacko: What a stupid penalty................

What penalty? There is no rule change on this. See here:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/season_...es_changes.html

Many bones were thrown, both during the tunnel walk and during the game, and not one penalty was assessed because of it. I think someone's mistaken about some new penalty rule...

Probably depends on what officiating crew is working, and if they know the history of NU defense.

CFN Weekly Affirmation

That link has a HUGE section about celebration penalties. It's the last huge section under "Sports and the Absence of Adult Leadership."

Below is part of Chris Fowler's article via espn.com about the start of the 2008 season. Linky

Fear The Zebras

I am not an alarmist and don't get too worked up about things that may not materialize. But I do fear this:

Officials will be flag-happy this season, enforcing the rules committee's new initiative on post-play celebrations. Tapes were shipped this summer to all officiating crews, showing examples of grievous sins like somersaults into the end zone, high stepping and various other quick displays of emotion that threaten to undermine the fabric of the game (and society in general). Or so they'd have us believe.

Officials were told they must flag these things.

Look, I know things can (and have) gotten out of hand at times. We've seen celebrations so elaborate and premeditated that they embarrass the sport. Throat-slashing and taunting must be penalized. But let's not let all the fun and emotion be drained out of the sport to satisfy an overly conservative bunch on the rules committee.

If these guys were in charge of the Olympics, they would have run out on the pool deck and stripped Michael Phelps of his gold medal in the relays for excessive celebration. Usain Bolt? They might have banned him for life and sent him back to Jamaica in a rowboat after his display in the stretch of the 100 meters. Now Bolt's antics might have been a bit much, but he had just stamped himself the fastest man ever. I can forgive him.

Some of the examples of "unsportsmanlike conduct" contained on the tape are quick and fairly mild. Do they "draw attention to oneself," as the rule states? Sure. Big deal. It's an emotional game. It's hard to play. Score a touchdown or make a sack, you should be allowed to enjoy yourself for a couple seconds.

Is a guy's diving across the goal line after a long run really so awful?

Again, I won't overreact until I see how this crackdown on celebrations plays out. But for players in the SEC, where more leeway has been given than in the more buttoned-up Big Ten, an adjustment will have to be made.

Not yet, but I don't think Fowler would make something like that up. Plus Rece Davis, Holtz and May spent like 20 minutes arguing it in a mock courtroom.

I'm not accusing anyone of making it up. I've heard plenty of talk about it myself, but have yet to see any official documentation regarding it. I simply want to read what the NCAA has to say about it, rather than get 2nd and 3rd hand information.

Not yet, but I don't think Fowler would make something like that up. Plus Rece Davis, Holtz and May spent like 20 minutes arguing it in a mock courtroom.

I'm not accusing anyone of making it up. I've heard plenty of talk about it myself, but have yet to see any official documentation regarding it. I simply want to read what the NCAA has to say about it, rather than get 2nd and 3rd hand information.

I totally understand what you are saying. I actually found the NCAA's Point of Emphasis video. Link

There is a section in the middle of the page saying Rules Updates. Underneath there is a video called "2008 CFO, LLC Video Points of Emphasis (7-21-08)2008 Rules Changes."

The first part discusses penalties for leading with the helmet and horse-collar tackles. The last 1/3 covers the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. They show about 10 plays. (2 of which are USC)