CFN Prediction

I think CFN is being a bit conservative in their prediction but it's not bad

CFN Prediction

San Jose State (1-0) at Nebraska (1-0), 12:30 EST

Why to watch: Nebraska passed the first test in the Bo Pelini era with an impressive 47-24 win over a good Western Michigan team. The Broncos have a veteran defense that was ripped apart for 483 yards, including 345 through the air. Nebraska is hardly back to being the Big Red Machine that dominated for so long, but it was a good first step. San Jose State is going to be more than a mere layup, even if the Spartans needed a last minute touchdown pass to get by UC Davis 13-10. This a veteran, athletic Spartan team with a good defense and a veteran head coach in Dick Tomey who knows how to get a team up for a big game. There's a massive talent discrepancy, but San Jose State has just enough to make this interesting if the Huskers aren't on.

Why San Jose State might win: Nebraska's pass defense struggled last year, and it didn't do much to show things have changed against Western Michigan. Despite getting a steady pass rush to help the cause, the secondary still allowed 342 yards of passing offense. Granted, the Broncos were in comeback mode and had to keep throwing to stay alive, but the Spartans should be able push the ball through the air. The offense sputtered against UC Davis, but the passing game still put up 231 yards.

Why Nebraska might win: San Jose State couldn't handle the UC Davis pass rush, and now it's about to have a nightmare of a day. The Spartans gave up four sacks last week and struggled to keep the UCD linemen from hitting the quarterback. Nebraska was ultra-aggressive last week, cranking out four sacks and seven tackles for loss, and it should be able to get into the backfield on a regular basis. Set the over/under on 6.5 sacks; the Huskers should be able to come up with several drive-stopping plays.

Who to watch: It's the start of the Kyle Reed era at San Jose State. The transfer from Cal was supposed to be the main man from the start this off-season, but he suffered broken foot, got it relatively healthy, and then suffered a setback that cost him a shot at the starting job. Jordan LaSecla and Myles Eden were ahead of Reed going into last week, and they weren't bad combining to complete 12 of 15 passes for 94 yards, but they each threw a pick and didn't get the offense moving. In came Reed, who completed 14 of 18 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner. Now it's Reed's job.

What will happen: Nebraska won't be sharp, and the defense will show it still has a long way to go before it can be dominant, but it'll be a second straight double-digit win. It just might take three quarters to get the job done.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 34 ... San Jose State 16 ... Line: Nebraska -25.5

Must See Rating: (5 Entourage premiere - 1 One Tree Hill premiere) … 2

does nobody realize that our pass defense is not as bad as it looked in the 2nd half against western michigan? do people not realize pelini is not cosgrove? there actually ARE multiple schemes here now? the entire second half we just sat back in basic coverage and rushed the front four... not to mention, they were forced to throw the whole game... sure they didn't play up to pelini's expectations.... thats going to be very tough to play up to.. and thats a damn near impossible task for the 1st game of the year ANY year, let alone the 1st year in the system....i expect the 1st quarter and a half of this game to be very dominant on both sides of the ball for nebraska, and then come second half they will start to move the ball and put up a few points.. but 3 touchdowns would be the minimum win.

Yeah, the secondary was making all those mental mistakes on purpose... Oh wait, no they weren't.

what the hell do you expect them to do? 1st game under an entirely new coaching staff with an entirely new way of thinking? its not like they have played a year under the system. ITS BRAND NEW.. of course mental mistakes come as part of the growing pains, but plain and simple, the defense was not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Take a look at the 1st half if you want that proof.. go watch the game again. Watch our defense and the way it sets up and the way all the plays develop in the second half. Stop acting like your view of the game is the only one that matters, yes, they made mental mistakes. But no, it wasn't as bad as all your posts are making it out to be.

My posts are not making it out to be "bad" as you define it, which seems to be mistakes that are unable to be fixed. In fact, I think the majority of the board is generally positive about the defense. However, they did not play well against the pass. That statement does not mean they're bad, the mistakes can't be fixed, or anything like that.

My posts are not making it out to be "bad" as you define it, which seems to be mistakes that are unable to be fixed. In fact, I think the majority of the board is generally positive about the defense. However, they did not play well against the pass. That statement does not mean they're bad, the mistakes can't be fixed, or anything like that.

well most of the things i have read from you come off as being more of a 'debbie downer' so to say.... do you not think it is easy to throw the ball though when a team sits in the same base defense for an entire half? It wasn't like we were mixing everything up a lot and trying to put a lot of pressure on the quarterback... what's the point when we have 3 straight weeks of really big games coming up? no reason to give the opponents any more film than they need...

While I'm flattered you pay enough attention to my posts to believe you get a general feel for what I think, I'm sorry to say you seem to have no clue what my posts are actually saying. They did not play well against the pass. It was the first game, problems are to be expected. They're problems that can and probably will be fixed. Most of them were mental mistakes, which is a good thing. Is there anything else I can enlighten you about regarding my posting?