Coaching motivational quotes

Eric the Red

Any of us who have played or just been around any kind of competition, have heard a quote, team motto, a picture, or some kind of piece of literature or two that have just stuck with us. Place them below and share your below.

"Impossible is Nothing"

" A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit."

Arnold H. Glasgow

" Success is moving from failure to failure with zeal and enthusiasm."

Winston Churchill

" Determination is the strength needed to succeed."

Dan Gable

" Success is most enjoyable when it has been won against odds."

Author Unknown

" When your confidence flies away, just close your eyes and tell yourself that you can do it. Believe in yourself and you will come alive."

Karen John

" Nothing gets accomplished without leadership. All great things and all evil things happened due to extraordinary leadership. All of the great things in our work or personal life only happen because someone took up the key leadership role."

Copyright © 2004 Devajyoti Kataky

" Without a dream there is no reason to work...without work there is no reason to dream."

Copyright © 1987 Lee Ayers

" Experiencing adversity is the first step in the road to success. If you've never been knocked down, how the h*ll do you expect to get up with any conviction?"

Copyright © 2004 Trevor Stienburg (Hockey Coach, Saint Mary's University)

Some Lou Holtz quotes (gotta love him!)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."

"A lifetime contract for a coach means if you're ahead in the third quarter and moving the ball, they can't fire you."

"Coaching is nothing more than eliminating mistakes before you get fired."

"If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better."

"If you're bored with life - you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things - you don't have enough goals."

"It is a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability in others is the true test."

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."

"Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."

"No one has ever drowned in sweat."

"On this team, we're all united in a common goal: to keep my job."

"Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity."

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

And, my all time favorite sports quote of all time (since I was the one who was the target of it).

Me: "Coach, why am I stuck at 3rd string again this year?"

Coach: "Because we don't have a 4th string, Chris"

IRISH!

Some Lou Holtz quotes (gotta love him!)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."

"A lifetime contract for a coach means if you're ahead in the third quarter and moving the ball, they can't fire you."

"Coaching is nothing more than eliminating mistakes before you get fired."

"If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better."

"If you're bored with life - you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things - you don't have enough goals."

"It is a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability in others is the true test."

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."

"Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it."

"No one has ever drowned in sweat."

"On this team, we're all united in a common goal: to keep my job."

"Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity."

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

And, my all time favorite sports quote of all time (since I was the one who was the target of it).

IRISH!

Of course as you read these to yourself, you have to have that lisp.

I remember two memorable quotes, I'm not sure they are motivational, but interesting to football none the less.

Not complete, but you get the idea

"It's not the X's and O's, but the Jimmy's and John's" - Barry Switzer

"It's not the gameplan, it's the athletes." -Tom Osborne at halftime of the '95 Orange Bowl ass-kicking of Florida

I remember two memorable quotes, I'm not sure they are motivational, but interesting to football none the less.

Not complete, but you get the idea

"It's not the X's and O's, but the Jimmy's and John's" - Barry Switzer

"It's not the gameplan, it's the athletes." -Tom Osborne at halftime of the '95 Orange Bowl ass-kicking of Florida

My favorite Rockne quote:

"I play my best 11, not my 11 best"

;)

IRISH!

IRISH!

Now thats just funny. :lol: But not bad considering that "coach" was probably Lou himself, right Irish? ;)

IRISH!

Now thats just funny. :lol: But not bad considering that "coach" was probably Lou himself, right Irish? ;)

hehe...I wish!

I probably should have specified that that was Coach Fischer from my high school. ;)

The was the same guy that came up with the classics:

"Blame the booster club. We can't afford to keep you on the team because if you was any fatter you'd need two jerseys. We ain't got that much money for uniforms" - when dressing down an o-line guy first day of practice.

And my next favorite personal slam:

Coach: "Chris...repeat after me...'on'...'off'...'on'...'off'..."

Me: "Why's that coach?"

Coach: "That way, you'll be prepared for when your career as a carosel operator at Mr Gatti's starts...'cause you ain't ever gonna be a football player. Least your grades are good"

Wasn't my fault I was 6'3" 160 lbs as a Junior and couldn't bench more than 100lbs until I was 20 or so....I got my real growth spurt late. :)

He was sarcastic as hell, but funny - and he never cut anyone (mostly because we didn't have enough guys who wanted to play to fill out the team at my school anyway) and everyone got to play at least a bit their Senior year in a home game.

IRISH!

Probably my favorite Holtz quote came during his time coaching the defensive backs at Ohio State. They were playing USC, and O.J. Simpson tore off an 80 yard run for a touchdown. Hayes went ballistic, grab Holtz by the collar, and demaned to know why Holtz' defensive backs allowed O.J. to run for 80 yards. Holtz' reply?

"Coach, 80 yards was all he needed..."

That's awesome...I've never heard that one. :)

Another Rockne favorite:

"When the 1929 Fighting Irish arrived to play Indiana University, they were held up at the gate.

'Can’t get in without a pass,' said a student manager, officiously blocking the doorway.

'But we’re Notre Dame!' blurted Rockne, 'We're here to play!'

'I ain’t supposed to let anybody in. That’s order’s.'

'Boys,' Rockne shouted to his team. 'This is going to be easier than we thought. They aren’t expecting us.' "

IRISH!