getting more speed on D..

shagg

I could totally see Asante moving to LB. Glenn is a perfect example (aint nobody getting to the outside on him), he is the fastest linebacker we have had at NU in years and he has made the transition alot easier than i would have expected. I think college football is going to be making a move to much faster and smaller players than what we have seen in the last 20 years. The SEC and Big 12 are already ahead of the curve. The Big 11, Pac 10, and Big Weak are well behind, with the exception of USC. I think recruiting players on defense with extreme speed and turning them into what you need will be the new fad. It doesnt take a genious to tackle a 240 pd running back (wrap up the legs). Basic fundamentals of tackling take care of someone the size of Shaq running a 3.2 40 yd dash. I dont need any f'ing highlight reels!

This really isn't a groundbreaking assertion at all. Why do you think Nebraska won in the mid 90s? Osborne went down to Florida and copied the idea from Bobby Bowden at FSU in the very early 90s. It certainly wouldn't classify as a new fad.

Playing the speed card on defense is great, but a powerful o-line will dominate speed almost every time. I think it would be easier to find strong tacklers and run stoppers and make them faster than give up size to have a faster defense. Just look at the impact a better conditioning program has had on this team in one summer. Give Bo's system time to work and I don't think that we will need to think about moving players around all that much in the future.

Playing the speed card on defense is great, but a powerful o-line will dominate speed almost every time. I think it would be easier to find strong tacklers and run stoppers and make them faster than give up size to have a faster defense. Just look at the impact a better conditioning program has had on this team in one summer. Give Bo's system time to work and I don't think that we will need to think about moving players around all that much in the future.

Did you see any NU games from the late 80's/early 90's when we played smaller, faster teams? If so, you will retract that statement. Part of that conditioning program of Bo's that you speak so highly of concentrated on losing about 20-40 pounds per player, FYI.

true... big guys can push smaller around. this is where scheme comes in. in the mid 90's charlie mcbride's defense wasn't all that big(except the DT) but they had speed everywhere else. they always dictate how the offense played by attacking as a whole unit- like a pack of hungry wolfes. this creates panick and confusion among the offensive linemen. alot of times our LBs and DEs would just run around the OL...that or there would be alot of holding calls.. the key was that they were dictating and attacking from all directions. they were attacking the offense rather than the offense attacking them..this puts the offense on the back foot alot of times... if they were to sit back and react and wait for the offensive lineman to get to them than their size becomes a liability. make them defend your speed. it's really hard to hold a block against 11 really fast players unless your talent level is far superior to your opponent. size will be a disadvantage if you don't put the players in the right scheme. charlie mcbride was smart enough to do that.