getting more speed on D..

shagg

I sense that Bo will be recruiting smaller faster linebacker. a sort of safety/linebacker hybrid type...it only makes if you look at how many teams run that spread offense with a mobile qb..your LB have to be able to play in space...Osborne used to take a safety and move 'em over to LB and take a LB and move 'em over to defensive end and that's how he was able to put more speed on the field..players like ed stewart , troy dumas, dewayne harris, terrell farley, and treve alberts...these guys weren't all that big but they were really fast. Ed stewart was 6-1 215lbs farley was listed at 6-1 205lbs..these guys were really DBs playing linebackers. Dewayne harris was listed around 6-2 225lbs and alberts was listed at 6-4 240lbs..again LBs playing DEs...the coaches were smart enough to use them in a scheme that allows them to play to their strenght and that was speed and aggressiveness...

I sense that Bo will be recruiting smaller faster linebacker. a sort of safety/linebacker hybrid type...it only makes if you look at how many teams run that spread offense with a mobile qb..your LB have to be able to play in space...Osborne used to take a safety and move 'em over to LB and take a LB and move 'em over to defensive end and that's how he was able to put more speed on the field..players like ed stewart , troy dumas, dewayne harris, terrell farley, and treve alberts...these guys weren't all that big but they were really fast. Ed stewart was 6-1 215lbs farley was listed at 6-1 205lbs..these guys were really DBs playing linebackers. Dewayne harris was listed around 6-2 225lbs and alberts was listed at 6-4 240lbs..again LBs playing DEs...the coaches were smart enough to use them in a scheme that allows them to play to their strenght and that was speed and aggressiveness...

All true, but most of those transitions took time. Given the time to work out at the position and be trained physicaly for it is the key. And that can't happen overnight.

I could totally see Asante moving to LB. Glenn is a perfect example (aint nobody getting to the outside on him), he is the fastest linebacker we have had at NU in years and he has made the transition alot easier than i would have expected. I think college football is going to be making a move to much faster and smaller players than what we have seen in the last 20 years. The SEC and Big 12 are already ahead of the curve. The Big 11, Pac 10, and Big Weak are well behind, with the exception of USC. I think recruiting players on defense with extreme speed and turning them into what you need will be the new fad. It doesnt take a genious to tackle a 240 pd running back (wrap up the legs). Basic fundamentals of tackling take care of someone the size of Shaq running a 3.2 40 yd dash. I dont need any f'ing highlight reels!