SI's Stewart Mandel writes about Nebraska's relevance

papersun87

Nothing too groundbreaking, but here is the article.

Mandel's a tool!!

He says that, but the early 2000s might as well have been the early 1900s in the minds of the 16- and 17-year-old recruits who Pelini and his staff are attempting to lure to Lincoln. Unless those recruits grew up in Nebraska, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch are little more than names in a media guide to them.

Maybe that's because kids these days get Vince Young, Beanie Wells, and a bunch of other pansies crammed down their throats!! Seriously, I think I might puke next time I hear or read about Robert Griffin from Baylor being a good QB!! He's f-ing horrible!! Yes, he has speed but big deal. Lots of players throughout history have had speed and nobody throws their names out like it's an answer in final Jeopardy!! He also has the throwing mechanics of someone imitating the mix between Sam Keller's delivery and a Jennie Finch pitch and nobody wants to discuss that!!

Yeah, I'm a major homer but Tommie was in a league of his own compared to any of the guys running the ball at QB today and nobody wants to give him props. You could watch highlights of him all day and he puts all other running QB's to shame. Speed, power, arm strength!! He had it all. I'd venture to say that if he had worked on his accuracy and didn't have any clots, we'd be watching him play on Sundays and hearing about him a lot more than as some footnote in Stewart Mandel's articles.

GBR!!!

........Nearly every traditional powerhouse -- from USC to Alabama to Oklahoma to Texas -- has gone through a down period in recent history, and nearly all returned to national prominence. With a strong brand name and the right coach, it's almost bound to happen.

With Nebraska, however, there are no such guarantees.

What is this guy's deal? No garauntee? Of Course there is no garauntee, but Nebraska has just as good a shot to make a great comeback as any school....sure the coaches can't really sell the landscape....the weather...but they can sell the tradition, and the Fans...both of which are equal if not better than USC, oklahoma, or ALABAMA!

........Nearly every traditional powerhouse -- from USC to Alabama to Oklahoma to Texas -- has gone through a down period in recent history, and nearly all returned to national prominence. With a strong brand name and the right coach, it's almost bound to happen.

What is this guy's deal? No garauntee? Of Course there is no garauntee, but Nebraska has just as good a shot to make a great comeback as any school....sure the coaches can't really sell the landscape....the weather...but they can sell the tradition, and the Fans...both of which are equal if not better than USC, oklahoma, or ALABAMA!

His main point is that Nebraska is a small population state, and there are not the number of D-1 talent here that there is in California, Texas, or Alabama.

His main point is that Nebraska is a small population state, and there are not the number of D-1 talent here that there is in California, Texas, or Alabama.

I understand that, but it his article goes much deeper and it's obvious he enjoys writing like this with the Huskers....Look at the final line of his article........"It will take a lot more than one victory to reestablish the kind of relevance Nebraska once held." No Sh*%t..............Anyone knows that a team that goes 5-7 doesn't become a powerhouse or even regains its national identity from a win over a non ranked opponent at home.....This guy is just one of hundreds that got sick of seeing win after win after win in the 90's and is enjoying every minute of Nebraska's down years now...... he makes some good points, but he goes farther than he needs to.....

Man, you guys need to stop taking it so personal. It's a pretty detailed, realistic, and encouraging article in a very popular media outlet that focuses on the possibility of a Husker revival.

Also, if you think it isn't tougher to recruit to Nebraska because we're in the middle of nowhere, you're kidding yourself.

Man, you guys need to stop taking it so personal. It's a pretty detailed, realistic, and encouraging article in a very popular media outlet that focuses on the possibility of a Husker revival.

Also, if you think it isn't tougher to recruit to Nebraska because we're in the middle of nowhere, you're kidding yourself.

Really? Obviously it's a much tougher sell here. Although our atletic facilities, albeit sans a beach, are second to none.

As for the article, I read it as someone gloating over the fact we aren't where we used to be, and doubting we will ever get there again. Sorry, Zoogs I disagree with you, I think he's rubbing our noses in it. Only my oppinion, I could be wrong.