SI's Stewart Mandel writes about Nebraska's relevance

papersun87

Nothing too groundbreaking, but here is the article.

Mandel's a tool!!

He says that, but the early 2000s might as well have been the early 1900s in the minds of the 16- and 17-year-old recruits who Pelini and his staff are attempting to lure to Lincoln. Unless those recruits grew up in Nebraska, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch are little more than names in a media guide to them.

Maybe that's because kids these days get Vince Young, Beanie Wells, and a bunch of other pansies crammed down their throats!! Seriously, I think I might puke next time I hear or read about Robert Griffin from Baylor being a good QB!! He's f-ing horrible!! Yes, he has speed but big deal. Lots of players throughout history have had speed and nobody throws their names out like it's an answer in final Jeopardy!! He also has the throwing mechanics of someone imitating the mix between Sam Keller's delivery and a Jennie Finch pitch and nobody wants to discuss that!!

Yeah, I'm a major homer but Tommie was in a league of his own compared to any of the guys running the ball at QB today and nobody wants to give him props. You could watch highlights of him all day and he puts all other running QB's to shame. Speed, power, arm strength!! He had it all. I'd venture to say that if he had worked on his accuracy and didn't have any clots, we'd be watching him play on Sundays and hearing about him a lot more than as some footnote in Stewart Mandel's articles.

GBR!!!

Not sure what game you've been watching, but since I'm still at home and not at NU yet we still use our family's season tickets to Baylor football, as my whole family has graduated from BU. Griffin is the real deal and by next year will probably be labeled the 2nd best QB in the conference next to Sam Bradford and the best dual threat QB in the country. He's better than Pat White already, better than Grothe, better than Locker...I think the problem is that most fans of bigger schools can't seem to fathom that this guy slipped past them. Griffin had a scholarship offer to NU, too. He was a strong Christian and had formed a bond with Coach Briles, so he chose to head to Waco.

You my friend are crazy!!! He couldn't hold Tyrod Taylor's jock, which isn't saying much, let alone Pat White's, Grothe, Locker or Bradford. Yes, I'll give you the fact that he does make a few plays with his legs but from the 3 games I've seen him play Washington State, UCONN, and Wake; I haven't been impressed. A few plays a game using your legs doesn't constitute mention as a dual threat QB. Hell, nearly 75% of the yards he has gained rushing this year came when he ran for 217 against WSU, and to be perfectly honest with you, they play more like a high school team on defense than a D-I team. Against his other 3 opponents he ran for 46, 42, and 29 yards while passing for 125, 294, 129, and 208 yards respectively. Hardly numbers consistent or anywhere near what I would call the 2nd Best QB in the Big 12.

Oh, and by the way can you let me know who you think is going to label him the 2nd best QB in the Big 12, so I can slap the sh@t out of him. Hopefully if he improves like you say he will, he might be around 10th or 11th best QB in the Big 12. Coming in ahead of only Josh Freeman of course, HA HA!!

Feel free to slap the whole game day crew on FSN (they called him a Heisman contender), Tommy Bowden, Jim Grobe ("I really don't want to play them next year"), Randy Edsall ("I really don't want to play him next year"), and virtually every broadcaster who's mentioned Baylor. Get a clue, guy. Just because he doesn't play for NU doesn't mean he's not good. He's an elite QB in this conference and he's a freshman. You failed to mention that he's yet to throw a pick against 2 of the best defenses in the country in Wake and UConn. Seriously...some people are so uninformed. Just stick to NU football...Don't be involved in any other form of college football. You're clueless.

Uninformed!! I watch nearly every college football game that is shown on TV, along with a few I manage to catch live. If that isn't intune with college football I don't know what is!! Just because I can watch the games with my own two eyes, not relying on insight from a bunch of washed up broadcasters (who will say just about anything for ratings), and decide for myself who I think is elite/good and who isn't, doesn't mean I'm misinformed!! You could tune into just about any broadcasted game and I guarantee you one or all of the announcers will jump on the bandwagon of one of the players and annoint him Heisman "worthy", doesn't mean he is!! It's called ratings, and obviously they found a sucker in you!! Maybe you need to skip the same 3 highlight reels they keep running on ESPN, mute the announcers and watch an entire game for once. Griffin is average at best!! Hell, I might even rank Freeman above him!! I stand by my words, "Griffin is overrated!!"

I am sure you need to rethink this post. Jim Grobe and Randy Edsall as "washed up broadcasters?" Last time I checked they were both highly successful college coaches.