Anquan

HUSKER 37

Cardinals' Boldin carted off field

9 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin was carted off the field after a scary helmet-to-helmet collision in the end zone with 27 seconds remaining in the Cardinals' 56-35 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.

Boldin caught a pass from Kurt Warner, but was hit in the back and then took a shot to his helmet from Eric Smith. Both Boldin and Smith fell to the turf, and Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald immediately waved to the sideline for help.

Trainers ran out to check on Boldin, and soon the entire Cardinals team surrounded their teammate as the Giants Stadium crowd fell silent. Smith, also injured on the play, was able to get up after a few moments.

After being working on for several minutes, Boldin was immobilized and placed on a stretcher before he was carted off the field. There was no immediate word on his condition.

Boldin has movement in all extremities

Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Anquan Boldin, Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets

Anquan Boldin, Arizona’s Pro Bowl WR, was taken off the field on a stretcher after a scary collision.

Boldin was moving all his extremities on the field and was talking to his teammates coming off the field and going into the locker room. He was being taken to a hospital for precautionary reasons.

“He’s alert,” Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “He’s talking and moving all his extremities. He asked to get up and the doctors won’t let him.”

Late in the fourth quarter, Boldin went airborne attempting to catch a touchdown pass, but was hit from behind from Jets FS Kerry Rhodes, causing his head to snap forward, and then — almost simultaneously — was hit in the front by SS Eric Smith and Boldin’s head snapped backwards.

Both Boldin and Smith were on the ground for a while. Smith eventually got up, but Boldin stayed down not moving, as both teams gathered in a circle close by. Boldin eventually had his head immobilized, was put on a stretcher and taken off the field.

PHP48DFF070AB8D2.jpg

Cardinals wide receivers Jerheme Urban (85) and Larry Fitzgerald (11) check on wide receiver Anquan Boldin after he was injured during the fourth quarter Sunday.

Cardinals' Boldin carted off field

19 commentsSept. 28, 2008 02:30 PM

Staff and wire reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin was carted off the field after a scary helmet-to-helmet collision in the end zone with 27 seconds remaining in the Cardinals' 56-35 loss to the New York Jets on Sunday.

Cardinals writer Kent Somers said preliminary X-rays revealed no injuries and he was moving his extremeties. But the All-Pro wideout was still being evaluated.

Boldin was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital for tests as a precaution.

“He's alert,” Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “He's talking and moving all his extremities. He asked to get up and the doctors won't let him.”

Boldin could leave tonight or Monday if everything checks out. Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill and his son Michael have stayed behind with Boldin. Michael has his plane in New York and would fly them home when Boldin is released.

Boldin caught a pass from Kurt Warner, but was hit in the back and then took a shot to his helmet from Eric Smith. Both Boldin and Smith fell to the turf, and Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald immediately waved to the sideline for help.

A reporter asked Whisenhunt if it was a cheap hit?

“I’ll have to look at it on tape," he said. "I don’t know.”

Whisenhunt was on the field and talking to Boldin.

“I just told him that this was the procedure. I said, ‘They just want to check and make sure, so do what they ask you to do, Anquan, because you never know for sure.’”

Trainers ran out to check on Boldin, and soon the entire Cardinals team surrounded their teammate as the Giants Stadium crowd fell silent. Smith, also injured on the play, was able to get up after a few moments.

After being working on for several minutes, Boldin was immobilized and placed on a stretcher before he was carted off the field.

---------------------------------------------

This is a public comment zone. Readers are solely responsible for the content of their posts and must comply with our Terms of Service and Rules of Engagement. Report offensive content by clicking on the "Report abuse" link.

Sort comments:

starting from earliest starting from most recent by rating, best first by rating, worst first View more comments:

1 2 3 4 5

rustyshackleford10Sep-28 @ 2:59 PM

This might sound cold, but this is why you don't cave in and renogotiate a deal with a player who still has 3 years left. One play and you could be out millions, all the while the player was still under his original contract. ....

====================

Husker37Sep-28 @ 4:07 PM Report abuse110

Wow!

Logged on to see if Q was still alive and you're woried about how much Bidwells Insurance could've been out?

Was I ever married to you?

Hope there's no permanent damage, Anquan.

I can't imagine ANY competitor not wanting to be out there at crunch time..Even IF this game is a lost cause, it still gives you valuable expeirence for the next time you're in this situation..maybe trying to qualify for the playoffs and a TD will force OT next time?

I applaud the coaches and Team for not ever giving up..And pray for Q

tragicSep-28 @ 1:57 PM Report abuse110

Scary hit. I hope Anqunn is OK.

the20kdollarcardfanSep-28 @ 2:00 PM Report abuse21

That was a wicke hit. Certainly hope Anquain is okay. Down 3 scores, why put your stars at risk like that?

View Profile

feeltheburnSep-28 @ 2:03 PM Report abuse14

WOW!! This could be far worse than this loss!

Best wishes Q!!!!

You the Man!!!!!

jj8881Sep-28 @ 2:03 PM Report abuse28

What angers me is it was clearly a dirty play by the Jets. Both players led with their helmets and purposefully tried to maim Boldin so that he would drop the pass. It was obvious that both Jets defenders were trying to engage in helmet to helmet contact. Both Jets players should be suspended and fined. I'm not speaking as a Cardinals and Boldin fan. I'm looking at this objectively. If you look at the replay, you will clearly see that both Jets players were intending to lead with their helmets; this was not incidental or accidental. Nonetheless, we should all pray for Boldin. The fact that Boldin sacrafices his body to make those difficult catches shows what character he has. He is a warrior and I'm proud of him.

ScroteBoatSep-28 @ 2:05 PM Report abuse00

Man he's lucky he didn't get his neck broke on that one. Kinda got hung out to dry a little bit too by Warner but I guess that's football. What a beat-down. Total disappointment. Warner rallied but overall could not protect the football and cost us the game. Defense sucked too.

View Profile

Add FriendMegaMeSep-28 @ 4:08 PM Report abuse10

Jets fans started booing. It was evident on the radio I don't know if the television side played it as clear.

View Profile

Add FriendarcherSep-28 @ 4:13 PM Report abuse01

Cardinals always get the no calls when they go on the road. No excuses for warner's poor play but the officiating does not help.

Glad to hear Boldin is ok.

Add Friend

HUSKER37Sep-28 @ 4:15 PM Delete10

Also..I doubt the two Jets players were trying to hurt Q..Just trying to knock the ball out before it could be considered a catch (td)..You're running on instinct at that speed..No time to think about injury...Or you really get hurt.