Option/WCO

Are most or all schools in the state of Nebraska switching to or beginning to run a WC style of offense since Callahan infiltrated the system? I am yet to look at a high scool forum on Nebraska football, but something tells me that a majority of the schools there run option heavily... how true is that? If that is indeed the case, wouldn't that hurt the Nation as far as recruiting is concerned? I know of a lot of cases, especially here in the south, in which devestating option QB's shun schools because they don't run option and want them to change positions. Option QB's can easily be taught proper throwing mechanics and can go to the league (in which agile,athletic QB's are in high demand). Danny Wimprine is a prime example. He played at John Curtis High School here in Louisiana, they live and die by the split-back veer and have about 16 state titles. He couldn't get recruited in LA because he came from the option oriented school, and was picked up by Memphis where he went on to break just about all of their school records. He'll be drafted. Matt Jones is another one out of Arkansas.

With teams downsizing their defenses in order to be quicker to stop all of these spread and WC offenses popping up, now is the optimum time to stock up on the big fellas and push the little guys around. LSU, if you don't mind me saying, has picked up at least 3-4 impressive O-linemen that weigh in over 340. I don't know what Les Miles is going to do with them, but he has them at his disposal. They may just be the determining factor in deciding the SEC champ this season. I don't know about you, but I'll rather have them play for me than play against them (big O-linemen)....remember the line the Huskers had in front of Frazier, Newcombe, and Frost? Now do you remeber the success they had?

The majority of high schools, at least around here, use a run based offense because they usually have 1 or 2 great players that they primarily give the ball to and let them go. This isn't the case in schools in states like CA, TX and FL. Not at all. A lot of the upper tier schools have a back, a QB and a WR.

There is no doubt that the option can be successful IF you have outstanding players at every key position. (Like most offenses). That defintely wasn't the case in the last 3-4 years. Well, you know what happened after that. We brought in a coach that does things differently. Like I said in another thread, how can you tell a coach "Ok, if you want to coach here you have to coach this offense." Good luck finding a coach like that. Sure the administration could have tried to find an option coach, but obviously that wasn't of high priority. In the end, it's the coaches job to run the team and that includes schemes used.

Sure, for the last 20 years or so NU has thrived on a certain type of offense and has even been defined by it. That really isn't the case anymore. Might we be defined by a overpowering throwing/passing offense in the future? Maybe.

The majority of high schools, at least around here, use a run based offense because they usually have 1 or 2 great players that they primarily give the ball to and let them go. This isn't the case in schools in states like CA, TX and FL. Not at all. A lot of the upper tier schools have a back, a QB and a WR.

There is no doubt that the option can be successful IF you have outstanding players at every key position. (Like most offenses). That defintely wasn't the case in the last 3-4 years. Well, you know what happened after that. We brought in a coach that does things differently. Like I said in another thread, how can you tell a coach "Ok, if you want to coach here you have to coach this offense." Good luck finding a coach like that. Sure the administration could have tried to find an option coach, but obviously that wasn't of high priority. In the end, it's the coaches job to run the team and that includes schemes used.

Sure, for the last 20 years or so NU has thrived on a certain type of offense and has even been defined by it. That really isn't the case anymore. Might we be defined by a overpowering throwing/passing offense in the future? Maybe.

I don't think you need outstanding players, but rather the right players.

• 5 months later...