D-line Depth

One thing I think that is going to be hard for us to over come. The blown coverages can be fixed, but this really can't (well not this year at least).

What I see is that we basically have 4 D-linemen, and that's it. Almost zero depth here. Normally in situations like this you would want to run the ball, ALOT, and eat up the clock. The problem is, we can't. Well, we can't against a good team. So, if we do what our offense is good at -- throwing a lot, we put too much pressure on this D-line.

Thus the real question to the success of our season is how good are our future opponents at stopping the run? I've "heard" that we won't face a better line than VTech, but I'm not drinking that cool aid. Here is what I see:

Rush Yards Given Up Per Game

VTech - 125.6/game

MU - 99/game

TTech - 100/game

IState - 187.5/game

Baylor - 127.5/game

OU - 73/game

KU - 94.75/game

KSU - 206.5/game

CU - 172/game

So, I think we have excellent chances against IState, KSU, and CU, and I think we'll beat Baylor. The rest are going to be very tough to win unless our running game improves significantly to keep our D-line fresh.

...and the linemen we have are not putting any pressure on the QB from down to down. Our D is going to take a couple of years to repair after the damage done by BC...I hope he sits back and sees where we are today, with all the problems, and realizes that these are problems he brought to us, not ones we have just because he isn't the HC. If BC would have been here for this season, things would be even worse.

Do you hear that all you Callihan supporters?

How can u possibly blame Callahan for this????

You just don't realize that he did an excellent job in all areas of coaching.

:sarcasm

He doesn't realize anything that went wrong had anything to do with him. dedhoarse

It is called the lack of meaningful coaching and lack of quality recruiting on defense for the last four years. This is Callahan's team...not Bo's. BC gets all the credit for not having any depth. Anyone that says any differently is on crack. I know your being sarcastic...but this season is going to be a long one, for all the wrong reasons. We should not be where we are.

How in the hell did this become a bash Callahan thread. I'm trying to look at our potential EOY record using meaningful stats.

I really don't care about Callahan -- or anything else that happened before this year. I'm looking to the future, not the past.

I agree. Callahan doesn't matter at this point, he is not here.

VT has had slow starts for their defense in some years and really come out to be stout by the end of the year. This year may be no different. Texas Tech's number is a little misleading, they have played 2 I-AA teams, the other 2 being SMU and Nevada. I think if Nebraska can make some adjustments, they can gash some teams with the run. I look for there to be some problems running on OU and possibly KU. Everyone else should be succeptible to some form of ground attack.

One thing I think that is going to be hard for us to over come. The blown coverages can be fixed, but this really can't (well not this year at least).

What I see is that we basically have 4 D-linemen, and that's it. Almost zero depth here. Normally in situations like this you would want to run the ball, ALOT, and eat up the clock. The problem is, we can't. Well, we can't against a good team. So, if we do what our offense is good at -- throwing a lot, we put too much pressure on this D-line.

Thus the real question to the success of our season is how good are our future opponents at stopping the run? I've "heard" that we won't face a better line than VTech, but I'm not drinking that cool aid. Here is what I see:

Rush Yards Given Up Per Game

VTech - 125.6/game

MU - 99/game

TTech - 100/game

IState - 187.5/game

Baylor - 127.5/game

OU - 73/game

KU - 94.75/game

KSU - 206.5/game

CU - 172/game

So, I think we have excellent chances against IState, KSU, and CU, and I think we'll beat Baylor. The rest are going to be very tough to win unless our running game improves significantly to keep our D-line fresh.

Sure, in theory we might run well against Baylor. But on the flip side, I'm fairly sure it will be extremely tough to stop Robert Griffin when BU has the ball. Once he gets pass the line he is a big play threat ready to happen. And frequently.