The Pinkel Effect

Nebraska will win, Gary will be back to his old ways this Saturday.

Add Mizzou's Pinkel to the "Hot Seat" Lists

Missouri fans are shocked and angry about their team's nosedive in 2004. A team that returned most impact players from a bowl season in 2003, that entered the season ranked #17 in the Coaches' Poll, that features what was once considered to be a Heisman candidate in quarterback Brad Smith, and was blessed with a weak schedule in a ridiculously weak (Big XII North) division should not be limping into the season's final game with a 4-6 record, riding a five-game losing streak.

Most fingers are pointed squarely at MU head coach Gary Pinkel for this disaster of a season. Mizzou is widely considered to be a talented squad and has remained virtually injury-free, so the classic excuses are unavailable.

Columnist John Henderson of the Denver Post asks, "Was there a worse coaching job in the country than by Missouri's Gary Pinkel?" Another Columnist, Joe Posnanski of the Kansas City Star, writes that Pinkel "lost the team". Dan O'Neill of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch describes the state of the football program as, "really sad."

As ominous as those columnists sound, their words are very mild compared to the rantings of common fans. Tigerboard.com, an internet hot-spot for MU fans, has been overflowing with cries of "fire Pinkel!" and other anti-Pinkel sentiments. A new site, FirePinkel.com, is under development.

It is unclear whether or not a win over Iowa State next Saturday would douse the enflamed opinions of Tiger supporters. (The way MU is playing these days, a win seems improbable, anyway.) Pinkel remains under contract for at least three more seasons, and athletic director Mike Alden has yet to weigh in on his coach's future. Should Pinkel return for the 2005 season (which I anticipate), expect his name to appear on every "hot seat" list across the land.

Fanblogs.com

or I'm wrong and we fired Callahan to soon.

Missouri fans are shocked and angry about their team's nosedive in 2004. A team that returned most impact players from a bowl season in 2003, that entered the season ranked #17 in the Coaches' Poll, that features what was once considered to be a Heisman candidate in quarterback Brad Smith, and was blessed with a weak schedule in a ridiculously weak (Big XII North) division should not be limping into the season's final game with a 4-6 record, riding a five-game losing streak.

Most fingers are pointed squarely at MU head coach Gary Pinkel for this disaster of a season. Mizzou is widely considered to be a talented squad and has remained virtually injury-free, so the classic excuses are unavailable.

Columnist John Henderson of the Denver Post asks, "Was there a worse coaching job in the country than by Missouri's Gary Pinkel?" Another Columnist, Joe Posnanski of the Kansas City Star, writes that Pinkel "lost the team". Dan O'Neill of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch describes the state of the football program as, "really sad."

As ominous as those columnists sound, their words are very mild compared to the rantings of common fans. Tigerboard.com, an internet hot-spot for MU fans, has been overflowing with cries of "fire Pinkel!" and other anti-Pinkel sentiments. A new site, FirePinkel.com, is under development.

It is unclear whether or not a win over Iowa State next Saturday would douse the enflamed opinions of Tiger supporters. (The way MU is playing these days, a win seems improbable, anyway.) Pinkel remains under contract for at least three more seasons, and athletic director Mike Alden has yet to weigh in on his coach's future. Should Pinkel return for the 2005 season (which I anticipate), expect his name to appear on every "hot seat" list across the land.

Fanblogs.com

A lot of things happened in the 05 season to change that program and its coaches. And it all started with the death of A. O'neal. I can tell you from watching almost every game since 92, that Pinkel pre 2004 and post 2004 are not the same.

A lot of things happened in the 05 season to change that program and its coaches. And it all started with the death of A. O'neal. I can tell you from watching almost every game since 92, that Pinkel pre 2004 and post 2004 are not the same.

I would have to agree with this assessment. different players, and more talented players can hide some deficiencies a coach may have. Just look at USC and Pete Carroll. Pinkel has the personnel to overcome any dumb mistakes if they were to happen. I wouldn't be relying on the "pinkel effect" to pull this one out for NU.

Wow you really think that Pete Carroll and Gary Pinkel are the same caliber of coach, really?

I did NOT say the same caliber of coach. I SAID that talent makes up for some bad coaching decisions. Therefore I'll repeat it for you since you couldn't read it correctly the first time. Pinkel has better talent and that talent can make up for his short comings as a coach. Get it? Just because I mention them in the same sentence does not mean I say they are equal. Read the post, did I say they were the same caliber? no.

No you said: Pinkel has the personnel to overcome any dumb mistakes if they were to happen. Any and some mean different things. Read your own post next time.

But did I say Pinkel was the same caliber as Carroll as you inferred I was saying in your post? I was responding to a post inferring I was putting Pinkel in the same caliber as Carroll. You want to argue on semantics of "any" and "some" when the point is still the same whether I said "any" or "some". Mizzou has talent, talent CAN overcome the "pinkel effect". You called me out inferring I was putting Pinkel in Carrol's caliber. You were wrong. Game over.

Fanblogs.com

ah.... that was 4 years ago.

If you want to discuss a coach effect, perhaps the Pelini effect - potty mouthing a ref, leading directly to an opponent touchdown. Now THAT'S an effect.