A New Offense?

I commented on this in another thread but it didn't get much play. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Personally I'm now of the opinion that the west coast offense has failed and failed utterly. It is a useless system which has no big play ability, and the prancing nancy way we run it yields the results we've seen against teams like Missouri. Furthermore I'm of the opinion that Watson––if he wants to remain at Nebraska, anyway––should starting Monday begin the transition to another style of play. This is precisely what Missouri did a few years ago when they realized what they were doing just wasn't working.

My preference would be the spread option. To this end I'd like to see a few redshirts pulled and a committed effort by our coaching staff to prepare for the future. Starting next week I think more wrinkles should be worked into our existing cesspool of an offense. Hopefully near the end of the season our conversion will be well under way. If this means that Zac Lee has to perform the function of a series by series quarterback, so be it.

Of course this is only my opinion, but I defy any of you to mount an argument for our current system. Unfortunately Callahan's shadow still looms over this program, and all the irreparable damage he's done.

I commented on this in another thread but it didn't get much play. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Personally I'm now of the opinion that the west coast offense has failed and failed utterly. It is a useless system which has no big play ability, and the prancing nancy way we run it yields the results we've seen against teams like Missouri. Furthermore I'm of the opinion that Watson––if he wants to remain at Nebraska, anyway––should starting Monday begin the transition to another style of play. This is precisely what Missouri did a few years ago when they realized what they were doing just wasn't working.

My preference would be the spread option. To this end I'd like to see a few redshirts pulled and a committed effort by our coaching staff to prepare for the future. Starting next week I think more wrinkles should be worked into our existing cesspool of an offense. Hopefully near the end of the season our conversion will be well under way. If this means that Zac Lee has to perform the function of a series by series quarterback, so be it.

Of course this is only my opinion, but I defy any of you to mount an argument for our current system. Unfortunately Callahan's shadow still looms over this program, and all the irreparable damage he's done.

I like the idea of the spread option. However, I don't think that trying to crowbar a new system into this team mid-season will be a good idea. Let's not burn the redshirts. Just let, Ganz, Lucky, Swift, Peterson, and Slauson graduate and we will have a fresh start.

I'm not gonna go on a :rant bout Billy C, so Ill pass on that dedhoarse . No mater how much we talk as a fan base I feel like this staff is not that inept that they are not willing todo what it takes to win. BUT!!! I do personally think that they are not playing enough towards the strenghts of the athletes :hmmph to help them build towards the future. Alot of learning will happen this year and we will take our lumps.

These kids will develope and mold into what the staff wants them to be just have faith and give them time. Most people were expecting 3-3, and to no surprise we are 3-2. Am I disappointed yeah but not surprised, I want to see this staff work through this and become cohesive and start to build up this program.

Execution, not scheme.

That simple.

Whenever things go wrong, the kneejerk reaction is to change up all the schemes. But this is execution, pure and simple.

What if you don't have the right athletes to execute?

Then you sure as heck aren't going to run a fast spread.

Why can't we get 2 yards on 3rd-and-2? Execution...line play...

The NU WCO experiment is over.

The WCO is virtually impossible for any team other then USC to field on the college game. Look at Auburn and their tremendous offense. This is a very, very bland and easily defended offense on the college level (superior athletes are needed) which I tribute a little bit of the reason why our defense is so bad. That's who they play against the majority of the time. It's time to go.

I see on a couple of other Husker boards seeking to replace Joe for this season, please NOOOOOO. P. Witt running this offense with this o-line?? And you think Z. Taylor got punished.

I see the future NU starting QB for the 2009 season playing in HS Texas right now. The spread option/running offense similar to Texas's with V. Young. That's the offense we have to run. You recruit players from HS that the vast majority run this scheme.

If Watson is retained after this season he has to change his offense to that. The one Cody Glenn runs in HS. I pray that the kid sticks it out with us and signs in December. P. Witt should probably transfer already and I hope to gawd Pelini see's that NU needs this offense. NU should never ever again not have a running QB.

i've said it over and over again....watson has got to be way more creative with the offense due to the fact that we don't have the talents to play anybody straight up...you can't just expect to line up and smack people around when you're less talented...in the old days maybe but our talent level was far more superior to our opponents then...

I totally agree with some of your points. Maybe having Z. Lee run some during the game might be good. Won't look good during the game and you only have so much practice time during a week.

I disagree with pulling redshirts, who would you pull for offense?? I'm pretty sure Pelini has a long term plan hence you see so many redshirted this season. And why you see so many walk ons playing this year. I see this is a good thing. I will be very disappointed next season if NU is still running the same O.

I think/ I hope, if he's ready and SIGNS with NU, the 2009 QB starting for NU is C. Green. Watson, if retained, has to tailor his offense towards this kid and the HS offense's ran by many across the nation, especially Texas where we recruit our skill position players. We can't be SC and get the best out of Cali and then if that's not bad enough, SC gets the best from the rest of the nation.

The best thing Pinkel did at Mizzou was install that offense and get B. Smith running it. Emphasis on running.

Are we even still running the WCO?

What I see out there is a hodge-podge.

At times they go out in the I and run it 10 out of 12 plays to open things up down the field a la after half time last night, which is a pretty traditional offense. This is the style offense I'd like to see us run, but the run blocking is so terrible up front that opposing defenses don't have to load the box.

Other times Ganz is throwing a lot of horizontal passes a la WCO, but again, the run isn't opening up because we can't run block.

I do think we need to ditch the WCO, but instead of the spread option, I'd like to see us go back to a traditional offense for two reasons.

First, clock control matters. Now I know everyone's gonna jump on me about the fact that we won time of possession while losing the game against Missouri. But, when you can actually FINISH drives that eat up clock by SCORING, you can keep your defense fresh and the opposing offense from getting any rhythm going.

Second, I think we have to look at where Big XII defenses are going over the next few years. I see most of these programs recruiting smaller, faster defenses, sacrificing some size and strength, in order to better defend the spread option. These smaller defenses are excactly the type that a traditional offense, with some powerful offensive lineman, can exploit. I think we already have two backs in Helu and Castille that fit this system, along with receivers that can stretch the field like Niles Paul. If we can upgrade our offensive line to one that is capable of supporting a power run game, I think we'll be in good shape.

I think we need to go to some variation on the spread. More and more teams are switching to it... why? because it is effective. Spread offenses are dominating the game right now.. just run down the top 15 teams and see how many run the spread.

The spread may be a fad, it may not be around in 15 years, but until then it is going to dominate... we need to roll with it.

One more point, defending the spread is MUCH easier when you run the spread yourself.

If we go to a complete spread option, our backup QB becomes worthless. Witt would likely have to transfer. Not only that, but our huge lineman would have trouble since the spread requires a bit more mobile lineman.

I'd personally prefer it as well. But right now, personnel wise, it doesn't help a whole lot.