What about Turner Gill

I think this is mostly b/c of the media to be honest. He hasnt gotten his fair run, so yes we dont have as comfortable of a feel on his personality, even after all these years. pretty pathetic. I do like Gill and think he would be a good head coach, but Im not even sure if he is that good of a QB coach. I mean look at our QBs over the past several years. how many actually improved their passing ability? They all were good athletes when they came to NU. Was it coaching deficiencies or were they just that bad of passers?

I think this is mostly b/c of the media to be honest.  He hasnt gotten his fair run, so yes we dont have as comfortable of a feel on his personality, even after all these years.  pretty pathetic.  I do like Gill and think he would be a good head coach, but Im not even sure if he is that good of a QB coach.  I mean look at our QBs over the past several years.  how many actually improved their passing ability?  They all were good athletes when they came to NU.  Was it coaching deficiencies or were they just that bad of passers?

That's exactly what I have been trying to say lately about Gill. I know there is a post

around her somewhere :)

I just can't believe he couldn't take Jamal's raw physical ability and mold it better in

5 years. Granted, he did improve but I would have expected more. The QB's

we have had in the past had some great natural ability and probably didn't need much

molding.

Have to agree. They brought in good athletes playing QB and outputted good athletes playing QB. Turner really hasnt manifested much of any "pure" QB skills - but then theres the argument of were we really looking for that type of pure QB at the time? I think we are now, i.e. Joe Dailey - the QB first, athlete 2nd, but werent so focused on that in the past. And I dont know that there are any QB coaches that couldve developed Crouch into an NFL QB.

Another reason may be that Turner has always only been a position coach. Bo was a coordinator, and Gill never seemed to have much desire to be much more than just that. Did he even attempt to land the OC job?

I just dont think it seems very logical in the chain of command for a QB coach to jump to HC. The natural progression says it should be a Coordinator of some sort, so the default train of thought is Pelini or Cotton, and Pelini just has a better personality, or at least a more voracious one. thoughts?

brm

Didn't some jerk ask about Turner Gill awhile back? I want to thank the Huskers. I can't believe you guys came through but, ya did. Without you showing the way there is no way K-State would have known how to get a player out of trouble. Thanks to the Peters boys, that turd Phillips and........well the list goes on forever. Thanks Herbie. Your the best blowup doll ever.

Didn't some jerk ask about Turner Gill awhile back? I want to thank the Huskers. I can't believe you guys came through but, ya did. Without you showing the way there is no way K-State would have known how to get a player out of trouble. Thanks to the Peters boys, that turd Phillips and........well the list goes on forever. Thanks Herbie. Your the best blowup doll ever.

Keeping threads on topic is cool. There are at least two threads about Ell Roberson

elsewhere.

I'm curious why this seems to be a discussion in which people are beating around the bush. While I agree he may very well make a good HC and I also wholeheartedly agree that he is definitely not a good QB coach, he is not being considered heavily I think because he is black. I don't think the powers that be feel as though Nebraska is ready for a black head coach. You can fire away if you want. I don't want Turner as the HC, but it isn't because of the color of his skin. I don't want him or Pellini because neither have any HC experience.

If you want to rip me for this, great. It will get the board going a bit!

I'm curious why this seems to be a discussion in which people are beating around the bush.  While I agree he may very well make a good HC and I also wholeheartedly agree that he is definitely not a good QB coach, he is not being considered heavily I think because he is black.  I don't think the powers that be feel as though Nebraska is ready for a black head coach.  You can fire away if you want.  I don't want Turner as the HC, but it isn't because of the color of his skin.  I don't want him or Pellini because neither have any HC experience. 

If you want to rip me for this, great.  It will get the board going a bit!

I am sure that will get someone going. I don't see any beating around the bush here.

BRM and I stated exactly why we don't prefer Gill. I believe he isn't getting

as much attention as Pelini right now because Pelini is the man of the hour in terms

of current coaches.

I was actually waiting for someone to bring this up. The fact that he is black has no bearing

for me. If you can coach, then do it. I am not entirely confident in his coaching ability.

I would hope that as a University, NU would be open to hiring the best person for the

job regardless of race. However, if he doesn't get the job I am sure someone will

"pull the race card" as it were. Someone always does whether it has bearing or not.

Part of the root of the problem in my mind.

If he doesn't get the job, I believe he will stay around. Why would he leave unless

he was fired?

I agree with your last post. I think the race card does have a little to do with it. The reason I don't want him to be the head coach is because I think their are much more deserving possibilities out there. Meyer, Zimmer, Tedford, Kiffen are all examples. I don't like the idea of Bo getting it because of his experience. Most of all I want a salesman. Someone that can sell NU. If he as a head coach hires the right coordinators, then he can be left to manage the overall team, and sell NU to the incoming recruits.

Somebody get mad about what I posted or at least, let's start getting the discussion going.

What do you think Turner should have done. Turn sh#t into gold. For one Jamal Lord sucked as a QB in high school. I watched him. He played in the Hudson County football league in Jersey. The entire league (ten teams) probably threw 150 passes between all of them in there 9 game schedule. Lord himself, if I remember correctly, threw about 35 passes THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

Crouch sucked in High School too. He could run the option very well, plus he's golden boy from Nebraska. How many passes did Millard throw this year when they went 13-0 or whatever. Maybe 5 if that in the Championship game of all things. Crouch couldn't throw a lick. The only pass everyone remembers is the one thrown to him against Oklahoma.

Frost.....well Frost you know. He couldn't hit the ground if he were on top of the Empire State Building. But he had a great team.

Frazier wasn't a spectacular passer either, but he hit the passes he needed to.

Mickey Joseph...whoa...look out

My point here is the players they recruited to play the position were brought in to run. Not throw. Run. The coaches new what they were getting. I can assure you at least half of the QB practices, time was taken to practice the option and footwork. When you want to create a passer you have got to emphasis and put time into it. As an assisstant coach you take orders from the boss. To gauge Gill soley based on the QB's and players under his coaching is not the entire fair.

Have you ever heard anyone say something bad about him? Has any of his QB's ever gotten in trouble? Have all his QB's graduated? Do all of his ex-players have great things to say about him? When he speaks is he sincere and intellegent?

That's what I would look at in a head coach.

A few quick hits.

Thanks to Nzone for bringing this up. regardless of if you feel this way or not, many people are thinking it.

I agree with Dave in his response. Race is used far too often in all walks of life, which only perpetuates the prob.

Eric provided some good counterpoints, many of which I agree. He cant turn sh#t into orange juice. lets just hope Steve Pederson CAN.

But I still feel he hasnt proven himself outside of that realm - QB coach, thats it. I dont want Turner gone, just not as HC. lets see what he can do w/ a Joe D and other more naturally talented QBs. There is a lot more to the college game, so just b/c he could pass in HS doesnt mean TG didnt help him improve already to this point.

Good discussion...

Mickey Joseph...whoa...look out

hahahaha. I had almost forgetten about him :) Watching him throw was like pulling

teeth.

You bring up some good points that I hadn't thought about. He is one of those good

guys who does his job and doesn't get much publicity for it. At this point, I don't know

what Steve is thinking about as far as a coach but I am sure Gill and Pelini will get

there shots.