DB Devin Ross

I believe negative recruiting this year perhaps kept us from getting as many big name prospects as last year. Recruiters used it as a weapon when NU was struggling much of the season and when Callahan's future was more in doubt than it is now. Perhaps our ending-season surge was too late for a Ross, a Wright or a Bradford?

Don't get me wrong. This appears to still be a very good class -- just not the big names. With improvement on the field next year, perhaps we will have a another top five or top 10 class.

I believe negative recruiting this year perhaps kept us from getting as many big name prospects as last year. Recruiters used it as a weapon when NU was struggling much of the season and when Callahan's future was more in doubt than it is now. Perhaps our ending-season surge was too late for a Ross, a Wright or a Bradford?

Don't get me wrong. This appears to still be a very good class -- just not the big names. With improvement on the field next year, perhaps we will have a another top five or top 10 class.

definately. this class is more than just a "very good class." Just because we dont have star rankings or any of that crap doesnt mean these guys cant be good as the guys we added last year. A lot are underrated. if you look at the individual awards for our high school recruits a lot of them are all city, all area, and all state athletes. quick example that i can think off the top of my head is meno holt, an all state receiver from California, and he's only a 3 star. Will Henry is another that comes to mind, Ashlee Palmer, Cruz Barrett, Anthony West, all underrated.

If its possible for you to watch their film on a recruiting site or somehow gain access to their film you will see what i mean. I bet we will look back at this class and laugh about the stars and the rankings and admire what they accomplish on the field.

I like the fact that Callahan is not basing recruits just on stars and is carefully evaluating each player's talent level. One reason why recruiting rankings could be lower than some schools in the future is Callahan and company recruiting some hidden diamonds in the state of Nebraska. With each coach contacting 35 high schools apiece, you would think we will see a few more in-state kids being offered. And there may be a one-star kid a from a Class C school that catches Callahan's eye. Contrary to what many of us thought, Callahan is serious about recruiting in-state players.

I like the fact that Callahan is not basing recruits just on stars and is carefully evaluating each player's talent level. One reason why recruiting rankings could be lower than some schools in the future is Callahan and company recruiting some hidden diamonds in the state of Nebraska. With each coach contacting 35 high schools apiece, you would think we will see a few more in-state kids being offered. And there may be a one-star kid a from a Class C school that catches Callahan's eye. Contrary to what many of us thought, Callahan is serious about recruiting in-state players.

Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough who shines instantly like Octavien and Ola and Zac Taylor, and sometimes it takes a few games to get the hang of things (Bowman) and sometimes injury can hold you back (Frantz). This coaching staff has proven it knows how to evaluate talent and regardless of stars, they are targeting prospects they believe will give them a best shot