Pelini on NU-OU Rivalry

Pelini: NU-OU rivalry not lost on team

BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2008 - 12:56:53 pm CDT

There may not be a multiple-choice test given, but Nebraska coach Bo Pelini feels his players are well aware of the meaning of the Nebraska vs. Oklahoma rivalry.

And regardless, Nebraska will be playing a team Pelini considers one of the four best teams in college football this season.

“The emotion will be there,” Pelini said. “We’re going to be playing a tremendous football team.”

Video: Ganz discusses OU-NU matchup“There is a lot of tradition in the rivalry,” Pelini added. “That’s great for college football. It’s changed in recent years since going to the Big 12 and playing only every few years, but the rivalry is special to a lot of people.”

Nebraska (5-2, 2-2 Big 12) travels to No. 4 Oklahoma (7-1, 3-1 Big 12) on Saturday. The 7 p.m. game will be televised on ESPN.

While acknowledging the rivalry during Tuesday’s weekly news conference, Pelini worked to downplay the new twist to the game with Youngstown, Ohio, natives Pelini and Bob Stoops coaching against each other.

“It’s not about Bob and I,” Pelini said, “it’s about Nebraska and Oklahoma and these players. That’s how I approach it.”

Back in Youngstown, Pelini doesn’t expect there to be a dominant rooting interest for one team or the other.

“Knowing people back home, they’ll want us both to do well,” Pelini said. “We share a lot of friends; there will be a lot of people wanting to see both teams do well.”

The meeting against Oklahoma adds another top-10 opponent for the Huskers. Despite working to rebuild the program, Pelini says he would rather have a tough schedule.

“I’d rather play Oklahoma than some Division II team,” he said.

In Oklahoma, Nebraska will be facing the fourth-ranked offense in the nation by averaging 542 yards per game. Sophomore quarterback Sam Bradford ranks third nationally in passing efficiency.

“(Oklahoma) is physical up front, has a good offensive line, obviously their quarterback is very efficient,” Pelini said. “Front to back, you can talk about all aspects they got playmakers.

“They don’t try to trick you – everybody has their special plays – they’re just very efficient and they’re very good.”

Junior linebacker Phillip Dillard is questionable for Saturday’s game following an injury against Baylor, Pelini said. If Dillard can’t play it won’t change the game plan, but it does change how the team operates, Pelini said.

“This game would have been special for (Dillard) being from Oklahoma, but more than likely he won’t make the game,” Pelini said.

Pelini also praised the play of I-back Marlon Lucky, who had 83 yards rushing and 82 yards receiving last week.

“I think he’s played his best football the last couple weeks, but running and in the passing game,” Pelini said.

At the end of the news conference, Pelini was asked if former Nebraska coach and athletic director Tom Osborne had shared any advice for the NU-OU game with Pelini.

“He just told me to win the game,” Pelini said.

In the press conference Coach Pelini had another comment after that in the end of the article. He said Coach Osborne told him to win "or he'd be fired". That got a lot of laughs.

I like his sense of humor! :lol:

but what if osborne wasn't kidding.