Joe Walker interview

Nice find, thanks

:yeah

I first thought it was about Kenny Walker..

Wonder where he's doing?

Where are they now - Joe Walker

ARLINGTON -- It's a warm fall evening and a Texas legend is about to reach another milestone. Arlington Lamar head coach Eddy Peach is about to win his 300th career ballgame. Only five other coaches in the history of Texas high school football have ever accomplished that feat.

Standing unassumingly (and anonymously to most) on the sidelines is arguably the best player Peach ever coached - former Nebraska standout Joe Walker. Walker was the starting nickel-back on Nebraska's last national championship team in 1998.

While at Nebraska, he was a dangerous return man who still owns the school record for most kickoff returns with 53 and ranks second all-time at Nebraska with 1,159 career kickoff return yards. He also is tied for the school record for most career interception returns for TD's with three.

Walker is one of six people in NCAA (Division 1-A) history who have scored on a kickoff, punt and interception return in one season (1998). In 2001 he signed with the Tennessee Titans as a free agent. After being released by the Titans in 2002 he signed with the Indianapolis Colts, appearing in five games. In 2003 he was released and has been out of football since that time. Recently we talked to Joe about his time at Nebraska and what he's doing now.

Prep Ticket: What brings you out to a high school football game?

Joe: I'm living here in the Arlington area and had to come out and support my old coach. He's one of the best that's ever coached and I wanted to be here to see him make history. I'm also here to see a couple of my students play.

PT: That begs the question, what are you doing these days?

Joe: I'm an elite college prep athletic instructor. I work with kids who have the potential to go to the next level and try to drill them on all the fundamentals to help them get where they need to be. I still have a great passion and love for the game and working with kids who are trying to get where I've been.

PT: Talk a little bit about your days at Nebraska, what are some of your most memorable moments?

Joe: I remember the first time I had to field at punt there in Lincoln. Playing in front of 84,000 fans was overwhelming! All I could think about was catching the ball cleanly and not fumbling, I couldn't let all those people down. In high school, punters don't get much hang time. In college, it feels like the ball is in the air forever. It was a big adjustment.

PT: What was it like playing for a legendary coach like Tom Osborne?

Joe: Oh man, remember those E.F. Hutton commercials? Whenever he walked into a room everyone got quiet. It was like the President had entered the room. He had us so prepared that most times the hardest part of playing the game was practice - the game was the easy part.

PT: Your decision came down to Baylor and Nebraska - did you ever regret that decision?

Joe: (Laughing) Not for a second although the first time I woke up and saw over a foot of snow on the ground I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision. I wasn't used to the cold weather up there but I wouldn't change a thing. The fans up there were great to me and I'll never forget that.

PT: Are there any memorable moments that stand out above the others?

Joe: Not really, just the experience as a whole was something that I'll always treasure. I'm proud of being a part of Tom Osborne's final national championship team. To come in and contribute as a freshman was really special. I'll never forget how in awe I was when we played Tennessee in the Orange Bowl and then a couple years later in the Fiesta Bowl.

PT: Do you keep in touch with any of your old teammates.

Joe: Oh yeah a lot of them but my best friends are Corell Buckhalter and Carlos Polk. Correll's had a nice career in Philadelphia and Carlos just got picked up by the Cowboys.

PT: So can we assume if you're working with top level athletes, you're pushing them all to go to Nebraska right?

Joe: Heck yeah, if we're going to get back on top, we need to start recruiting Texas better. Coach Pelini is off to a good start and if I have anything to say about it, we'll have some more coming up there soon.

Date of Article: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Related Content:

Deaf Is.. Sports

Kenny Walker was born in Crane, Texas on April 6, 1967. Kenny became deaf when he was 2 years old from spinal meningitis. He made All-State for both football and basketball in public high school. At Nebraska University, he earned All-American Honors for being a starter for the defensive team. After college, he was drafted by the Denver Broncos and played in the NFL. He played for a few years as a Denver Broncos football player.

Recently, Kenny has started working with the Iowa School for the Deaf as a counselor and a football coach. He is also in the book called, “Roar of Silence” written by Bob Schaller.

He has a wife, Martina, whom he married in 1992. Kenny has two children, Tommy and Kenny Bo. Tommy is deaf and Kenny Bo is hearing.

Deaf Is.. Sports

Kenny Walker was born in Crane, Texas on April 6, 1967. Kenny became deaf when he was 2 years old from spinal meningitis. He made All-State for both football and basketball in public high school. At Nebraska University, he earned All-American Honors for being a starter for the defensive team. After college, he was drafted by the Denver Broncos and played in the NFL. He played for a few years as a Denver Broncos football player.

Recently, Kenny has started working with the Iowa School for the Deaf as a counselor and a football coach. He is also in the book called, “Roar of Silence” written by Bob Schaller.

He has a wife, Martina, whom he married in 1992. Kenny has two children, Tommy and Kenny Bo. Tommy is deaf and Kenny Bo is hearing.

Come to Glenwood, IA sometime. His wife (at least I'm guessing it's his wife) works part time at a little local restaurant called "The Oasis". He's there quite a bit having dinner and playing whatever the touch-screen game is at the end of the bar.

If nothing else...on Friday nights they have a prime rib special. Queen Cut with a baked potato, salad and drink for $14. Even if you don't see him it's a good meal.