Landmark triumph for Pelini

for pelini it absolutely is a landmark win.

Exactly. Most of the above posters were missing the point that, For Pelini, it was a landmark win. Not for the program. That isn't to say there won't be more landmark wins but this certainly fit the bill.

:yeah By landmark victory, he is just saying it marks a stage of development for the team. They were the only "good team" (non cellar dwelling BCS) we had beaten. You could also say that (landmark) about W. Michigan since we hadn't played anyone before that game. Mich St. doesn't count.

The reason I wrote the above comment was because I looked landmark up in the dictionary (can you believe I had to?) and one of the definitions is an event that marks a stage of development. In that respect it is a "landmark victory." It doesn't necessarily mean "great." It's like a paralysis patient taking 7 steps after only managing 5 before. May not seem like much, but to them, would be a landmark moment. Or, in a football context, kinda like Iowa State getting ANY victory. So Sip was right in using the term. The fact that he linked it with the word triumph didn't help keep people from thinking he was overstating things. The unfortunate part is that calling a win over just a decent KU team a landmark triumph, is an indictment of our recent play. So, in conclusion, the only way you could have a problem with his calling it a LT is to come up with a more impressive victory this year.

for pelini it absolutely is a landmark win.
Exactly. Most of the above posters were missing the point that, For Pelini, it was a landmark win. Not for the program. That isn't to say there won't be more landmark wins but this certainly fit the bill.

:yeah By landmark victory, he is just saying it marks a stage of development for the team. They were the only "good team" (non cellar dwelling BCS) we had beaten. You could also say that (landmark) about W. Michigan since we hadn't played anyone before that game. Mich St. doesn't count.

The reason I wrote the above comment was because I looked landmark up in the dictionary (can you believe I had to?) and one of the definitions is an event that marks a stage of development. In that respect it is a "landmark victory." It doesn't necessarily mean "great." It's like a paralysis patient taking 7 steps after only managing 5 before. May not seem like much, but to them, would be a landmark moment. Or, in a football context, kinda like Iowa State getting ANY victory. So Sip was right in using the term. The fact that he linked it with the word triumph didn't help keep people from thinking he was overstating things. The unfortunate part is that calling a win over just a decent KU team a landmark triumph, is an indictment of our recent play. So, in conclusion, the only way you could have a problem with his calling it a LT is to come up with a more impressive victory this year.

Agreed. That is the context in which the term should be taken. Most people are still in the frame of reference of the 90s because that is the one thing we have to take solace in from our recent (~6 years) of substandard play. When taken with that in mind the idea of it being a landmark is laughable. Remember what's been going on recently, guys. Let's not get to be like Kansas State and think they deserve a proven coach because Bill Snyder was the only one to ever win there...

We need to win out.... Period...

Yeah, if we aren't 8-4 going into a bowl, I am going to be really disappointed at this point. If we lose to KSU, that will really suck bigtime...we are so much better than they are, even when we only played half the game. If we lose to CU, still be disappointed, but I know that game always brings a lot of emotion for both teams, don't matter if one team is having a great season, and the other is down, you never know who is going to win.

I agree and I think you make a great point here. We all need to remember that both of these games aren't in the bag as of yet and both teams hate us and we hate them as well. Out of these two games the one that worries me the most is CU. The history between us is just too sparatic, spl, to say that it's going to go one way or another. You know damn well CU would love to get bowl eligible on us because I doubt they are going to beat OSU this weekend.