What a Season

Husker_x

I have to say that even though we're an 8-4 team right now, I consider this season a resounding success. It's easy to forget in the joyous aftermath of Henry's Memorial Stadium Miracle that at this time last year the program was in shambles and nobody really knew if there was ever going to be a light at the end of the tunnel. We had a 5-7 team who was even worse than their record indicated. I thought it would probably be at least a season or two before we saw any real progress.

I think I was wrong.

Now we have an 8-4 team that could just as easily have finished 10-2. Were it not for a questionable call and one boneheaded INT by Ganz, that's where we'd be sitting. We have team, I think, that's even better than their record shows. And that's progress, people. That's the only thing I ever expected out of this season.

This season was one hell of a ride. There were ups and downs, dark moments and elating ones. But in his first year at NU Bo Pelini is on the cusp of winning nine games, finishing second in the north, and playing in a New Years Day bowl. A Husker fan would have been insane to have turned that scenario down at the beginning of the season, considering where we're coming from. And I don't think the regular season could have ended on a better note: crushing Colorado's bowl bid dreams with the greatest kick in the history of Nebraska football.

To conclude this little kick-off-the-bowl-season reflection, I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate Bo Pelini and the 2008 Nebraska Cornhuskers. It wasn't always pretty, but they got this thing moving in the right direction. Because of them we have something to build off of next season. Because of them we have a reason to believe that someday Nebraska can compete in the upper tier of football again. I think those seniors especially deserved to hear Memorial Stadium rocking for them one last time when that 57 yard wonder inched over the crossbar.

I'm eager for the bowl game, but man I'm already hungry for next September. In one year Bo Pelini has brought us to a place we haven't been for a long time: excited as hell to see where he's going to take this team next.

GBR

Every memorable season should have a moment like Henery's kick...it just kind of finished it off with an exclamation point. Suh provided some highlights to look back to on defense also...as did Ganz/Helu/Swift on offense.

The turn around of this team has been amazing, the stuff that dreams are made of. We hired the right coaches for the job...and it paid back dividends abound. We have reinstated the attitude that was missing - and the pride. Gone is the pessimism and the suspicion - and that feels great. No more are we sitting around calling for coaches heads, pointing fingers at players and their off the field behavior. It is nice to be back on positive ground with this team.

GBR!

At first I was disappointed that we let a team like Colorado play with us (and very nearly beat us) but I think for these rivalry games you just have to throw all the rankings and stats out the window.

Also, when I see Tennessee hiring Lane Kiffin, I am so glad that we hired Bo. There are too many teams out there that are just picking up the first coach to get fired who has had some success in the past. Bo Pelini is absolutely the right man for the job.