How is it determined if a Juco transfer has a redshirt year available or not?

I've kinda always had a question about this as well. So is it impossible to be a 2 for 2 guy? If you don't redshirt you should have 3 to play two, if you do redshirt you should have 3 to play 3? So guys like Barfield, Dixon, Murillo, Purify all could have had another year in the system?

No, it's not impossible to be a 2-2 guy. Tyson Hetzer is a 2-2 guy.

JUCO coaches have to keep a job to. Putting a talented guy on the field for one year at a time would cripple most JUCO schools. Plus, alot of these JUCO players need the attention over a 2 year span since most are players who were never or only slightly recruited our of high school. It's tough for a kid to RS, then grab recruiting attention over the period of a year when most college coaches will have little clue who they are. A case like Kinnie is the exception and not the rule for most kids.

I could see a college requesting a player to RS if they feel he is talented enough and they were placing him. I actually believe we were planning to do that with David Whitmore, but I'm not sure what happened there.