Getting to know your opponent...

Hey there Huskers,

I've really enjoyed my short time on your site and thought it would be interesting to share with you some little known facts about Clemson's history and traditions. I originally planned on doing a little quiz to see how much you guys knew about us, but decided to do this instead. Mods, if you feel the need to move this, so be it, I didn't really know what board to put it on, and AR gave me permission to put it here and judging by the content, yall could move it to where you felt the need for it.

1. Clemson College formally opened in 1893 and was an all-male military school (I think that if you guys look at the girls vs. girls thread in the Daily Skin forum, you will agree that we've come a loooooong way). In 1955, the military system was dropped and females were allowed into the school. Renamed Clemson University in 1965.

2. In 1963, Clemson was one of the only schools in the southeast to achieve "integration with dignity" as the first black student, Harvey B. Gantt, enrolled without riots or any other foul play.

3. More than 6,000 students an alumni of Clemson served in WWII, and because of this, the graduating class of 1944 was the smallest ever with 13 graduates.

4. Clemson started out as, and is still a large agricultural school.

5. John Heisman coached Clemson from 1900-1903, ironically, Clemson has never won a Heisman trophy.

6. Shortly after the 1902 game against South Carolina, a riot ensued involving brass knuckles and other objects, and plenty of blood was drawn, so bad that medical personnel had to come to the scene. Never seen any documentation of it, but I've always heard that the corp of cadets from Clemson marched into Columbia for the parade that was always held on the Friday after "Big Thursday"(when the teams used to play, "Big Thursday" was the commonly used name for the game as well), and ended up in gunfire between the cadets and pistol-wielding students from the University of South Carolina. The rivalry was then called off until 1909, when it resumed. And you guys wondered why there is so much hate between the two schools.

7. Running down the hill was started purely from necessity, and not to start a tradition. Clemson's locker room was located in Fike Field House, which is behind/above the hill. To enter the field, the team would run down the hill because it was much more practical than going around the stadium to enter where it was flat. Ironically, the current teams leave the current locker rooms and board buses, which drive them around the stadium so that they can uphold the tradition of running down the hill. (I had the honor and privilege to be able to run down the hill with the team for two years. AMAZING experience.)

8. Howards Rock is a rock that an alum brought from Death Valley, California as a gift to Frank Howard. Coach Howard used it as a door stop for a while, then told an assistant to do something with it, the assistant had it mounted to a pedestal, and placed at the top of the hill. Frank Howard told his players "Give me 110% or keep your filthy hands off of my rock" (which I'm sure is the edited version). The rock has been subjected to many attempts & successes of vandalism, so it is now protected by a fiberglass case that is only removed for game days and special events.

9. The Carolina Panthers played their first season at Death Valley while their stadium in Charlotte was being constructed.

10. Clemson Memorial Stadium is named for all of the Veterans of the USA and especially those who were Clemson students and alumni.

11. Clemson Memorial Stadium was dubbed "Death Valley" by the head coach of Presbyterian College who claimed that the stadium was where his teams went to die. LSU's Tiger Stadium was so loud that it was called "Deaf Valley" which in time has morphed into "Death Valley" as well. There is even documentation through LSU that Clemson had the nickname first. Period. End of story.

12. The Tiger Paw logo is actually a taken print from a museum of an actual tiger. Word is that the tiger had a scar on his paw, hence the little hook at the bottom of the paw. Also, the paw is angle at 1:00 because that is the traditional start time of Clemson football games.

13. According to what I just looked up, Nebraska and Clemson have only met 1 time in history, twice after January first. Since both were/are in bowl games, Clemson has never visited Nebraska and Nebraska has never visited Clemson. What a travesty. Home and home? I'm down. We need to make this happen.

That's all I have for now, if you guys have any (serious) questions, please ask and I'll be glad to answer them for you. Hope you enjoy.

DIDNT A SHARK EAT SHAWN WEATHERLY? Home and home would be great as long as Nebraska wins em both. Yaw split with A$M and Missouri. I recall the UM game in Missouri so well because it preceded our 25 game winning streak coming to an end against ASU in Tempe where we won the NC 8 months earlier.

Yeah, we have a bunch of home & home deals scheduled with SEC teams (other than SCar) coming up, but those teams are notorious for pulling out of the deals at the last minute leaving us with 1AA opponents. This year we had to replace someone and got lucky that Bama needed one too, so we did a neutral site with them. Well on second though, maybe we weren't so lucky...