Getting to know your opponent...

Never realized Kirkland was a Tiger. One of my favorites (I'm a Steelers fan) - just a big-assed, tough athlete.

I actually got to meet him once after a Clemson game. Crazy thing was that I was taller than him, but he was like 4 of me as far as mass goes. I'd love to see him come back to Clemson and coach the LBs.

Here's a pic from his days in Death Valley:

59987.jpeg

I thought it was interesting the similarities of the size our our respective universities in terms of student body and stadium size. In the interest of "know your opponent" I submit:

Nebraska Memorial Stadium 85,800 (record - Colorado 2006) Undergrad population ~17,000.

Clemson Memorial Stadium 86,092 (record - Florida State 1999) Undergrad population ~14,000.

1745clemson.jpg

1498ClemsonDeathValley.jpg

stadium_night_1280.jpg

Have to admit - an impressive looking stadium...

Some quick notes about Clemson Memorial Stadium.

• The North Upper Deck (on the right in the bottom pic) is actually larger than the South Upper Deck.

• The bottom pic is taken from the top of the hill (the hill is filled in with fans after the team runs down the middle of it, I'm sure you guys know that).

• The beautiful new/in progress WestZone is directly ahead in the bottom picture. You can see the pre-WestZone Death Valley in the middle pic.

Now wouldn't you Huskers like to come visit for a home and home???

• The North Upper Deck (on the right in the bottom pic) is actually larger than the South Upper Deck.

• The bottom pic is taken from the top of the hill (the hill is filled in with fans after the team runs down the middle of it, I'm sure you guys know that).

• The beautiful new/in progress WestZone is directly ahead in the bottom picture. You can see the pre-WestZone Death Valley in the middle pic.

I haven't been to DV since the Maryland 2004 game - pre WEZ. I guess one thing we can thank Coach Bowden for is pushing the WEZ and facilities.

I agree with AR on the impressive look, it feels a bit like Lincoln. I am pretty impressed with the "SEA OF ORANGE" you have got going on there. NU Fans are proud of our SEA OF RED. The stadiums do look to have a similar feel to them, especially when you look at night shots of both.

http://www.google.com/images?q=lincoln+mem...tadium+pictures

When we played at USC two years ago, we had upwards of 30,000 fans in the Coliseum.

on a side note, the Coliseum sucks.

it was a big letdown, given how much buildup it gets.

That's awesome that you had 30,000 go out to LA, but playing USC is not playing Clemson. It is in a large city, and they're team is really really good. Would there be a general interest in coming to a small town in SC for a game with us???

Also, I hate to hear that the Coliseum sucks, as that is one stadium that I'd really like to visit (along with Lincoln of course.)

Dont waste your time going to the Coliseum. If you sit in the visitors section, you are @ least 200 yds. from the field & you cant see a scoreboard. Worst stadium I've ever been in.

Since the Heisman Trophy was presented tonight I thought I'd add a little Heisman info to this thread;

John William Heisman - Clemson Head Coach 1900 thru 1903. Our first undefeated football season came under Coach Heisman in his first year at Clemson (1900). Clemson was considered to be one of the most powerful football programs in the south during his tenure.

1900 Clemson 6-0-0

1901 Clemson 3-1-1

1902 Clemson 6-1-0

1903 Clemson 4-1-1

Heisman in his University of Pennsylvania uniform ~1891

ExplorePAHistory-a0l0q3-a_349.jpg