QB Devin Gardner

CornHunka

By Brian McLaughlin

Sporting News Today

Devin Gardner is only halfway through his junior year, yet he already has a bunch of Big Ten Conference schools chasing him for his commitment. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound dual-threat quarterback out of Detroit Inkster has already picked up scholarship offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin, as well as non Big Ten offers from Nebraska and Cincinnati.

Gardner told Sporting News Today that he feels he can fit into just about any system.

"I think I can fit into any offense, really," Gardner told SN Today. "I work with my coach every day to be a better passer. ... Going into the season, everybody was talking about how I'm a good athlete, but now everybody's saying I'm a real quarterback, too. I've evened out my passing and my rushing."

This year, Gardner led his team to a 12-2 record, accounting for 48 total touchdowns--26 passing and 22 rushing. He said he threw for 1,500-plus yards and rushed for nearly 1,000, and he was quite proud of the fact that he only threw six interceptions.

He has enjoyed the recruiting experience.

"It's been real nice," Gardner told SN Today. "The first Big Ten school to offer was Michigan State, and I was really excited about that. The rest started following suit. ... I'm open to moving around the country; my mom wants me to see and do new things, but she also wants to see me play and everything."

Gardner admits he grew up an Ohio State fan, but he said he's open to any school right now, and he's looking forward to evaluating them. He is rated one of the top 250 juniors in the nation by Rivals.com.

• 1 month later...

2010 Gardner lands Notre Dame offer

ESPNU 150 Watch Lister Devin Gardner seems well on his way to be one of the nation's most heavily-recruited QBs in the Class of 2010, and he added to his already extensive offer list this morning when Notre Dame informed him he had a scholarship offer, ESPN's Brian Stumpf reports.

The Irish join the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, Cincinnati and several others that have already offered the 6-4, 200 pound dual-threat quarterback.

He completed 98 of 170 passes (57.6-percent) for 1,886 yards 26 touchdowns and seven interceptions while running for another 22 scores as a junior this fall. Gardner says he'd like to have a decision by the end of the summer, but is still wide open at this point.

Will be tough to pull out of the "Midwest":

Devin Gardner (Inkster, Mich./Inkster) is the top class of 2010 quarterback in the Midwest and has the scholarship offer list to prove it. That list includes Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Purdue and Cincinnati.

Gardner's list recently added another significant member.

"Notre Dame offered me on Friday," Gardner said. "My coach told me to give them a call. I talked to Coach (Charlie) Weis and he offered. I was excited. It's really exciting."

However, Gardner says he has no plans to make a commitment anytime soon. He visited a number of schools during the football season and plans to continue to check out his options.

Gardner will either attend Notre Dame's junior day on Saturday or Ohio State's on Sunday. He also plans to visit Michigan State at the end of the month and Michigan in February.

"I don't have any favorites," Gardner said. "I won't be deciding (on a college) anytime soon."

The 6-foot-4 and 205-pound Gardner passed for 1,886 yards during his junior season. He threw for 26 touchdowns with just seven interceptions. Gardner also rushed for 1,401 yards and scored 22 times.

• 3 weeks later...

Player: Devin Gardner

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Position: QB

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 195 lbs.

40 time: TBD

Visit Date: TBD

Scholarships: Baylor, Cincinnati, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Purdue, Wisconsin

Rivals

I'm sure with a good showing @ OSU's junior day, his list is going to get a lot longer. Anyone here think we have a realistic chance with this kid.

2010 the year of the QB in Michigan

Recruiters looking for a quarterback for their 2010 recruiting class will want to stop in the state of Michigan. There are at least three outstanding junior quarterbacks in Michigan who already have Big Ten scholarship offers on the table.

Some interesting recruiting battles are already taking shape. Michigan State and Michigan will be right in the middle of the action, but there are plenty of other suitors for the big three as well.

Sitting at the top of the list is Devin Gardner (Inkster, Mich./Inkster). Gardner threw for 1,886 yards and 26 touchdowns during his junior season. He rushed for 1,401 yards and scored 22 times.

The 6-foot-4 and 205-pound Gardner has scholarship offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska and a few others. He recently attended a junior day at Ohio State and was invited to one at Notre Dame.

Robert Bolden (Orchard Lake, Mich./St. Mary's) has been a varsity starter for one of the top football programs in the state of Michigan since his sophomore year. St. Mary's slumped a bit this past season, finishing wit a 4-5 record, but Bolden still threw for 1,000 yards.

Bolden threw for 1,000 yards and rushed for over 500 in leading St. Mary's to a 12-3 record during his sophomore season

The 6-foot-4 and 195-pound Bolden, who has scholarship offers on the table from Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska and several others, runs a 'spread' offense at times, will drop into the pocket and run the option.

Joe Boisture (Saline, Mich./Saline) is a 6-foot-6 and 190-pounder who is more out of the classic dropback quarterback mold. Boisture has a strong and accurate arm. He sees the field well and makes good decisions.

Boisture threw for close to 1,600 yards and 14 touchdowns during his junior season when he led Goodrich to a 10-1 record. Boisture has transferred to Saline where he will play his senior season.

Boisture has scholarship offers on the table from Pitt, Wisconsin, Cincinnati and Boston College. Michigan State is just one of the many other schools showing interest.

Note: OSU has still not offered Gardner AFAIK, but seem pretty interested:

Inkster wins with Jim Tressel on hand

Gardner lands another offer

One day after his visit to Michigan State, quarterback Devin Gardner landed another scholarship offer. West Virginia is the latest school to join in and offer Gardner a scholarship.

Gardner's list of offers now stands at 14 including West Virginia, Michigan State, Michigan, LSU, Notre Dame, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Wisconsin and Cincinnati.

"I'll narrow my list down to about five during the summer," Gardner said. "But I don't know if I'll make a decision then."

Gardner enjoyed the Spartans' junior day on Sunday.

"It was pretty cool," he said. "I went to the Michigan State-Wisconsin basketball game. They honored their national championship basketball team. I met Magic Johnson. It was nice. And I talked to the Michigan State (football) coaches."

Gardner said his next visit will likely be to Michigan on March 14.

• 3 weeks later...
Is Devin Gardner close to choosing the Wolverines?

Rivals.com recently released its preseason top 100 recruits for the class of 2010, and the state of Michigan has two players that made the list. Defensive end prospect William Gholston (Detroit Southeastern) landed at No. 44 and quarterback Joe Boisture (Saline) is ranked No. 81.

The fact that Michigan only had two players make the top 100 list was a bit of a surprise, however, the fact that Gholston was not considered a top-25, five-star level recruit was an even bigger shock.

The state of Michigan has had a five-star recruit six of the past eight years according to Rivals.com, and some experts believe Gholston could have the highest ceiling of all previous No. 1 prospects during that time span.

The 6-foot-7, 255-pound Gholston already has an impressive offer list which includes scholarships from schools like Michigan State, Michigan, Florida, Miami, Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

The other surprise in the rankings is the inclusion of Boisture as a top 100 recruit. Many local recruiting sites, including SpartanMag.com and TheWolverine.com, have him rated as the third best quarterback in the state for the class of 2010.

Boisture made a commitment to Boston College earlier this week over an impressive list of scholarships including UCLA, Wisconsin and Pittsburgh. What is interesting is that neither Michigan State nor Michigan had offered Boisture at the time of his commitment.

The Spartans and Wolverines both have offered the two other in-state quarterback prospects, Robert Bolden (Orchard Lake Saint Mary’s) and Devin Gardner (Inkster).

This is likely the first time that a player from Michigan has received such a lofty ranking without the in-state teams extending him a scholarship.

Boisture had some strong family ties to Michigan State, but the Spartans were not ready to offer with the two other players still out the on the board. That could change this weekend as Gardner is expected to publicly announce his college decision.

It is widely speculated that he will select Michigan in hopes of being the dual-threat quarterback Rich Rodriguez is looking for.

If Gardner does end up in Ann Arbor, look for Michigan State to look to secure a commitment from Bolden in the near future. Bolden may be the top quarterback on the Spartan board all along. Both he and Gardner were verbally offered by the Spartans’ staff early last summer. Bolden impressed at the Spartan Elite Prospect Camp that was held that month.

No matter how you look at it, 2010 is a great year for quarterback talent in Michigan.

Or not:

Devin Gardner not ready to announce just yet

Quarterback Devin Gardner has decided to wait to announce his college choice, Bucknuts.com's Bill Kurelic reports. Gardner is expected to eventually announce a commitment to the Wolverines, but it won't be this weekend as previously anticipated.

"My family and coach and I decided that it's best that a press conference will be scheduled after basketball season is over. Then is when all interviews will be," Gardner said in a text message.

The 6-foot-4 and 205-pound Gardner threw for 1,886 yards and rushed for 1,401 during his junior season. Gardner has scholarship offers from Michigan, Michigan State, LSU, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Nebraska and others.

• 3 weeks later...

COMMITTED TO MICHIGAN

No big surprise as he was supposed to announce that 2 or 3 weeks ago. Was he really just waiting until he was done with basketball season so he'd have time to do interviews? Oh well, it will be tough to get dual threat QBs out of Michigan (or Ohio) for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...