Phillip Bates to Ohio U

Published Thursday December 18, 2008

Quarterback Bates heading to Ohio U.

Former Omaha North and Iowa State quarterback Phillip Bates will enroll at Ohio University and play for ex-Nebraska coach Frank Solich.

Bates told The World-Herald today that he will transfer in January and participate in spring practice with the Bobcats.

Bates left the Iowa State team this season after five games. He had shared the No. 1 job with Austen Arnaud in the first four games, then did not play in the Cyclones' loss to Kansas.

An All-Nebraska selection at Central, Bates picked Iowa State over Nebraska. He played in nine games in 2007, primarily as a wide receiver.

Bates will have to sit out next season but will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

I don't wish him any ill will and do hope he does well in his future with Frankie at Ohio, but I still think what he did to ISU was rather immature and bush league.

He was the better of two, the team favorite, and got a raw deal. With that noted and since he did what was in his best interest - how is him leaving ISU immature, and bush league?

I don't wish him any ill will and do hope he does well in his future with Frankie at Ohio, but I still think what he did to ISU was rather immature and bush league.

He was the better of two, the team favorite, and got a raw deal. With that noted and since he did what was in his best interest - how is him leaving ISU immature, and bush league?

It's not that he left, that happens a lot. The guy does have to do what's best for himself, I agree with you there. It's how and when he left. Why not just wait until the season ends? He squandered opportunities that could have only helped him in the long run had he gutted the season out and left then. IMO, how/when he left made him seem like a baby. Quitting when things don't go your way, or when there's a bit of adversity, does not a good leader make.

Plus, I just remember his dad spouting things off about Nebraska that didn't sit well with me at all, and that just adds to my less than favorable opinion of the matter.