BC to fire coach for interviewing with JETS

The media has really bagged BC on this. I first saw it on Si.com, where it was presented as an out-of-nowhere threat, like the AD heard about the interview, got PO'd out of his mind and said in rage, "you go there and I'll fire you."

But apparently, it is actually written in his contract that at this time in his tenure at BC, he cannot go and seek a job in the NFL. Seems pretty cut and dry from there.

On the other hand, that's the business. The coach knows the consequences, and he can decide for himself whether it's worth it. Neither side has done anything heinous.

its totally getting blown out of proportion. BC is doing nothing more than upholding their end of the contract. The coach is taking his own risks by interviewing, so this shouldn't be such a "shocker" in the media. I would not be surprised if their are more stipulations in contracts that prohibit coaches from job seeking, and BC finally called someone out on it.

The media has really bagged BC on this. I first saw it on Si.com, where it was presented as an out-of-nowhere threat, like the AD heard about the interview, got PO'd out of his mind and said in rage, "you go there and I'll fire you."

But apparently, it is actually written in his contract that at this time in his tenure at BC, he cannot go and seek a job in the NFL. Seems pretty cut and dry from there.

On the other hand, that's the business. The coach knows the consequences, and he can decide for himself whether it's worth it. Neither side has done anything heinous.

Actually it was never confirmed whether or not the "Loyalty Agreement" was written in the contract or was simply a verbal agreement. Fact is that BC let him go without cause meaning he gets his pay. If that clause was truly in the written contract then I think he would have been fired for cause. Verbal agreements are hard to prove. Either way a commitment was made and it is a bad example set by the coach. I applaud BC for this, even if it costs them money. Funny thing is that this may have been better for BC in the long run anyway, word is that the coach really didn't like to recruit. He didn't like having to do that and favored going back to the pros and was looking for any excuse. The recruiting classes he brought in were less than stellar to say the least, he was working on the previous staff's talent. He lost in state talent as well. Heard an interesting take by Jeremy Crabtree, from Rivals, on USC yesterday about this. He can coach X's and O's, but doesn't like to do the other aspects of the College head job.