Bo Appreciation Thread

I remember listening to the announcers of some game talking about Bo. They said something along the lines of, "Bo Pelini just has IT. He can coach. He can recruit. He's got that special something." And now that we've had a whole season to reflect on, I think I agree with that assessment more now than I did then. Bo has that magic thing. Despite a bit of a temper (which he got under control, by the way), people respond to him. Not just football players. Pete Carroll has the same thing. Urban Meyer has the same thing. (Alexander the Great had the same thing :lol:) Guys want to play for him and make him proud. That quality is worth more than maybe most people realize. Add on top of that strong work ethic, smart coaching, and a solid staff: Nebraska may have hit paydirt with this hire.

Now more than ever, I hope Bo has a long successful career at Nebraska. If he builds off this season's resounding success, we may be BCS bound sooner rather than later.

I remember listening to the announcers of some game talking about Bo. They said something along the lines of, "Bo Pelini just has IT. He can coach. He can recruit. He's got that special something." And now that we've had a whole season to reflect on, I think I agree with that assessment more now than I did then. Bo has that magic thing. Despite a bit of a temper (which he got under control, by the way), people respond to him. Not just football players. Pete Carroll has the same thing. Urban Meyer has the same thing. (Alexander the Great had the same thing :lol:) Guys want to play for him and make him proud. That quality is worth more than maybe most people realize. Add on top of that strong work ethic, smart coaching, and a solid staff: Nebraska may have hit paydirt with this hire.

Now more than ever, I hope Bo has a long successful career at Nebraska. If he builds off this season's resounding success, we may be BCS bound sooner rather than later.

Couldn't agree more. As of right now, Bo Pelini is everything I could have hoped for as a fan. Now it's just a waiting game to see how far we can go.

One thing that stood out to me was how disciplined this defense became. On every screen pass I saw Clemson throw, Husker D-linemen were barely past the back when they turned around to cover it and bottle up the play. In contrast, I saw Oklahoma guys chasing Tebow all the way until he dumped it, taking themselves out of the play. So the coaches taught our guys the right reads and the proper discipline to react and not just go balls out to sack the QB.

Another example of this was that flea flicker play Clemson ran early. Our DBs stayed with their assignments and their receiver was well-covered.

Lots of swarming gang-tackling like the good old days. The blackshirt attitude was back.

No giving up, on either side. The Clemson comeback, near comebacks vs VT and TT, overcoming the early CU disaster. 60 solid minutes. Plus good bounce backs after the MU and OU debacles. A couple of bad games didn't sink the season. You never know how much of this is due to leadership on tthe team, or the coaches, or both, but I'm just happy to see it.

Bo was a LOT more in control on the sidelines as the season progressed. I suspect this example helped result in our guys not going crazy and getting stupid penalties. And maybe it sat better with the refs too.

To be honest, after that Oklahoma blowout I couldn't argue that this team was any better than last years' team. Maybe in terms of the locker room and the alumni mood and the overall Callahan fatigue. But on the field? No. Not really.

Then they made their run, and by the end of the season I was cheering for the defense. Ganz & Co. carried the team most of the way, but that Clemson victory belonged to the D. That's a HUGE change, and it came about through development and adjustments. Defenses win championships and having Pelini in charge bodes well for the Huskers in this conference.

I still think we have to be ready for an improved defense and a new quarterback to offset each other next season, and we could be looking at another 9 - 4 campaign - or worse - in a conference that won't be any easier. And we still need to consider it progress.