Coaches/players/stats gurus! Input?

Folks,

I'm doing something of a study for a project that I'm working on and need some input from those of you that might have at one time been middle or high school coaches, players, or are otherwise obsessed with sports statistics.

Basically, what do coaches track when going through the season when it comes to players?

Do they time players in the 40 for example once a year? Once a month? A week?

How closely do they track their performance in the weight room?

Those sorts of things...

Thanks for any information provided, it is very much appreciated.

for some reason I remember tracking weight lifting improvements/max every 9 weeks. I think it is so you can start with your base and move up 10% each week till you are 90% of your max effort. then on the 10th week you max out again to see what your new 100% effort is.

We only ran the 40yd dash 3 times per year, but worked on speed drills 3 times per week. weights 4 days per week. Cardio training(long and short distance) 2 days per week. before and after every training session we weighed ourselves so the trainers new what we needed for food. It was pretty individualized in college, but each position group was expected to perform the same within their group.

it was much different in season, however. it was more about maintaining strength and overcoming injury and staying healthy...

sorry this is a little random, i'm just typing as i'm remembering things we did..I could get more specific, but hey, my glory days are over....

I believe under Boyd Epley there was winter testing (pior to spring ball), and incoming freshman would test upon reporting to fall camp (don't know if upper classmen did).

My guess is that Dobson does whatever he feels to be effective. Look up his bio on Huskers.com, I'm guessing they have e-mail links to him and the other strength coaches, and that they would be more than willing to answer your questions.