Wins for NU

How many wins will NU have in '05?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think necessarily the coaches screwed things up last year. I think it was them, plus a whole lot of things that contributed. Fresh start this year, I think they'll be ok...one year under their belt, I am sure Cally learned a bunch last year. I think his demeanor is now known to the players, and they'll adjust.

I went with 7 wins for a couple reasons:

1. I think it's about the most reasonable choice in terms of being year 2 with Callahan and Co.

2. At this point, we have a little tiny bit more depth but nothing a couple injuries could diminish. Depending on what Beck does this fall, we could be in a similar position we were with Daily in that we have one guy and that's it for guys who can come in and take the wheel when we need it. Not saying that Ganz and Adams are completely in capable, but they are less proven that a guy like Taylor. Taylor at least has JUCO years under his belt.

I went with 7 wins for a couple reasons:

1. I think it's about the most reasonable choice in terms of being year 2 with Callahan and Co.

2. At this point, we have a little tiny bit more depth but nothing a couple injuries could diminish. Depending on what Beck does this fall, we could be in a similar position we were with Daily in that we have one guy and that's it for guys who can come in and take the wheel when we need it. Not saying that Ganz and Adams are completely in capable, but they are less proven that a guy like Taylor. Taylor at least has JUCO years under his belt.

Man, I can't stop watching that Beck video, though!!!! I really think he's gonna be a stud!

Man, I can't stop watching that Beck video, though!!!! I really think he's gonna be a stud!

You know, I watched his last HS game, so I got a minimal dose of what he will be like when he's here as opposed to watching all of his great plays in a highlight video. The two things I was impressed with the most that the video doesn't show were his leadership and passion. His team was far inferior to the team they were playing, and the kid had about a second from the time the ball was snapped before he was being pressured. There was no protection and he kept getting smacked, but he would get up and dust himself off and head back to the line and try to make the next play, and he made more than he missed. He also got right in the middle of his O-line on the sidelines and was yelling feverishly to get them to step up their play. He wasn't happy with the way they were performing and he let it be known. Reminded me of the best QB ever, Dan Marino. I'm not comparing the two, but one thing both of them had was srikingly similar: they both HATED LOSING. We need that attitude on the field again.

Man, I can't stop watching that Beck video, though!!!!  I really think he's gonna be a stud!

You know, I watched his last HS game, so I got a minimal dose of what he will be like when he's here as opposed to watching all of his great plays in a highlight video. The two things I was impressed with the most that the video doesn't show were his leadership and passion. His team was far inferior to the team they were playing, and the kid had about a second from the time the ball was snapped before he was being pressured. There was no protection and he kept getting smacked, but he would get up and dust himself off and head back to the line and try to make the next play, and he made more than he missed. He also got right in the middle of his O-line on the sidelines and was yelling feverishly to get them to step up their play. He wasn't happy with the way they were performing and he let it be known. Reminded me of the best QB ever, Dan Marino. I'm not comparing the two, but one thing both of them had was srikingly similar: they both HATED LOSING. We need that attitude on the field again.

No substitute for attitude and desire. Beck will push, but I'm not sure he'll overtake Taylor this year.

I see 9 potential losses after Wake Forest. If this team wins 7 or more games I'll be encouraged. Anything less, while impressed with recruiting I'll be equally unimpressed with this staff's ability to coach.

I see 9 potential losses after Wake Forest. If this team wins 7 or more games I'll be encouraged. Anything less, while impressed with recruiting I'll be equally unimpressed with this staff's ability to coach.

Yup, any game you can win or lose. I see 11 potential losses on the schedule. :blink:

I see 9 potential losses after Wake Forest.  If this team wins 7 or more games I'll be encouraged.  Anything less, while impressed with recruiting I'll be equally unimpressed with this staff's ability to coach.

Yup, any game you can win or lose. I see 11 potential losses on the schedule. :blink:

I also see 11 potential wins!

:)

I see 9 potential losses after Wake Forest.  If this team wins 7 or more games I'll be encouraged.  Anything less, while impressed with recruiting I'll be equally unimpressed with this staff's ability to coach.

I also see 11 potential wins!

:)

Exactly my point.

May very well finish below .500, again.

Thanks, bill.

Put down a number. Now is your chance to show off your soothsaying skills that you claim you have. If you pick a record and you are right, you can talk all the crap you want.

As far as my predictions for this season, it is way too early to accurately predict how it will turn out. There are gonna be a lot of newcomers in the fall, and the JCs had better be all that they are supposed to be, otherwise, 04 could look like a really good year. The problem with Jucos is that they have never played against talent this good, and they are more of a gamble than HS’s.

Defense- The D was great in 03, terrible in 04, the worst at NU in about 50 years. It lost 3 top 40 NFL picks, so how could they be better? The line should be improved (which wont be hard to do) as there are a number of players back with playing experience, and they seemed to do well during the spring. Its gonna be tough for the LBs to be better than they were last year with the loss of Ruud, as the ballyhooed JCs try to adjust to Div I play. Look for Bo Ruud and Bradley to make an impact, but they won’t be able to overcome the loss of Barrett. The DBs were supposed to be the strength of the team in 04, but were terrible. The loss of 3 starters, (2 All American caliber players) can’t be good. Bowman had better be as good as advertised, and Grixby needs to develop, as this is shaping up to be a poor year for this unit, which lacks impact players and depth. Overall, slightly improved play by the line could help ease the burden of the LBs/DBs, but this group will probably fare about the same as last year.

Offense-the new system is pretty complicated, and similar versions of the WCO have never had any substantial success in college football. The OL was a nice surprise last year, but there have been losses, and they have not performed as well this spring, so this could be a weak spot. The WRs were average at best last year, and lost a couple of decent players. Brooks, Hardy, and Nunn need to step up and be the players that they are supposed to be; otherwise this O will never work. TE is a huge ? as AA caliber Herian is recovering from injury, and the coaches never did figure out how to utilize him last year. Touted Tomerlin needs to have a huge impact, but again is a JC question. The RBs are certainly the strength of this team, with Ross returning, and B Jackson making big strides in the off-season. The addition of Lucky will help, but he probably will have as much impact as T Green did last year. QB is a huge ?, too, as starter Dailey transfers, leaving former Wake Forrest backup Taylor as the top choice to replace him, or heralded but unproven frosh Beck. Taylor had a good spring against the scout team and in passing drills, but doing the same against OU and CU will be a different task all together. Overall, slight improvement IF the Oline shapes up.

Special Teams-well what is to say here? There is almost no way possible that they could get any worse, as this was the worst special teams in quite possibly the history of the program. Kick coverages were atrocious, the return game was stagnant, PK was average at best, with the bright spot being a capable punter. Incoming kicker Cogdon should make a slight impact, as should PR Rands. There is almost no way possible that they could get worse, could they?

Games

Maine-W, that’s why pud didn’t schedule Houston

Wake Forest-?? tossup

Pittsburgh-?? tossup

Iowa State-?? If it was on road, certain loss, but home field gives NU hope

Texas Tech-L

Baylor --??, should be a win, but this staff hasn’t shown the ability to win on the road

Missouri--?? On the road(??), will probably end up a loss,

Oklahoma-L, lots of losses, still too much for NU

Kansas-?? KU should be improved, but again, road games for NU were tough in 04

Kansas State-Not very good, but Snyder has had NUs #, and they weren’t very good last year either

Colorado-L, always plays NU tough in Boulder, CU should win easily

It’s premature to predict the other games at this time, with all the incoming players (I can make a more accurate prediction closer to opening day). NU SHOULD go 10-1 with such an easy schedule, but they should have been 10-1 or 9-2 last year, too. Realistically, they will for sure lose to OU, Tech, and CU, and will beat Maine. The rest are tossups. NU could go 8-3, but 1-10 with this staff is not impossible, either.

AT THIS TIME, I predict NU will most likely get 6 wins (7 max) as they have too much in the tank to be as bad as last year.

The RBs are certainly the strength of this team, with Ross returning, and B Jackson making big strides in the off-season. The addition of Lucky will help, but he probably will have as much impact as T Green did last year.

they always have been, thought last years staff didnt utalize its stengths like the running game. hopefully they will utalize all three of these guys alot this year, especially until they can get the passing game tuned in better. that is my big complaint with the coaching staff last year, didnt seem like they played to the teams strengths. as for the season, 6 or 7 is realistic right now for me, may change closer to fall. pitt and kansas are two teams im not sure about, seemed like they both improved late last year.