Wins for NU

How many wins will NU have in '05?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Haven't posted in a while, but had to speak up on this one because things are downright silly in here. I answered how many wins I think Nebraska will get next year, not how many wins I want them to get. If more people were honest, I don't think 12 of you would put nine wins down. The way I see it, the only gimmes are Maine, Wake Forest, and Baylor. I think TT, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas are losses. Kansas State, Pitt, ISU, and Colorado are tossups. We could win all, or we could lose them all, so I split it down the middle and gave us two wins. That puts us at 5-6. Luck could push us to 7, but I don't see it getting any higher than that.

I'm just curious to see how everybody is anticipating the upcoming season. I am one that definitely sees a lot of uncertainties concerning the Huskers, and I notice that quite a few people just don't think we're gonna improve from last year. I just wonder if it's a pessimistic attitude (like FF) or a safety measure that's not going to result in disappointment once the season is underway? If you say we'll only win 5 or 6 and we end up winning more, will that make you feel better than saying we'll win 8 or 9 and just not reaching it? People that say 5, 6 wins, is that because you don't think the Huskers are that good or that the other teams are better? I think NU went out and did much more to upgrade talent, and the coaches have had a year to adjust, which should help tremendously. Our QB, RB's, WR's, OL, and DL should all be better than last year. The improvements on the offensive side should be the biggest help to the defense. Maybe I'm a little too optimistic here, and that's why I'm predicting 8 wins, but I'd like to know how others feel and why.

I'm just curious to see how everybody is anticipating the upcoming season. I am one that definitely sees a lot of uncertainties concerning the Huskers, and I notice that quite a few people just don't think we're gonna improve from last year. I just wonder if it's a pessimistic attitude (like FF) or a safety measure that's not going to result in disappointment once the season is underway? If you say we'll only win 5 or 6 and we end up winning more, will that make you feel better than saying we'll win 8 or 9 and just not reaching it? People that say 5, 6 wins, is that because you don't think the Huskers are that good or that the other teams are better? I think NU went out and did much more to upgrade talent, and the coaches have had a year to adjust, which should help tremendously. Our QB, RB's, WR's, OL, and DL should all be better than last year. The improvements on the offensive side should be the biggest help to the defense. Maybe I'm a little too optimistic here, and that's why I'm predicting 8 wins, but I'd like to know how others feel and why.

The reason I'm going with 8 is because of the schedule...and ZT. If Joe coulda hit open guys last year, and not thrown so many int's, NU would have gone to a bowl game. ZT will hit open guys.

My predictions

Maine--W

Wake--W

Pitt--W, but this one could go either way

ISU--W, home field give us SOME advantage

TT--L, even at home...they just are too high powered

Baylor--W...it IS Baylor, after all

Mizzou--L...Pinkel saves his job

OU--L, Huskers will play them tough, though

KU--W, they are better, but the last streak stays intact

ksu--W (note the lower case letters, I hate Bill S.), plus they suck

CU--W, too much turmoil in Boulder

I hope I'm not thinking with my heart, rather my head.

I notice alot of doubters on the later part of this thread, and you have good reason to doubt after a 5-6 season, but here is why i see improvement. 1.)There is a question mark at the most important position on the field in quarterback in that we have an unknown in game situations. Many will argue that he is not played against this kind of talent, which is true. My optimism in the matter comes from actually seeing in person what he can do compared to Dailey in the spring game last year. It is true that both played against vanilla defenses with no rush and poor coverage, but, Dailey completed 27 of 47 passes, and the throws that he made, even to wide open wide receivers were often off target, especially on deep throws. Taylor, on the other hand went 20 for 27, and none of his deep throws were off target. He is a better thrower than Joe, that is for sure. Whether or not he can play well in a real game situation is the question, but i hope that he will, and the amount of talent we have at runningback should give him alot of 8 man fronts and man coverage to work with. So here is my prediction...

Maine- W

Wake Forest- At home, comfortable W

Pittsburgh- At home, less comfortable W

Iowa State- At home, Should have beat them by thirty last year, W

Texas Tech- At home, we score more points, but d isnt good enough, L

Baylor- Away, they are fricken Baylor and we killed them last year, W

Missouri- Away, Brad Smith can't throw, should still have the steak in tact, W

Oklahoma- Home, Crowd keeps us in it, but we arent there yet, L

Kansas- Away, Another team that can't throw, W

Kansas State- Home, could have beat them last year away, W

Colorado- Away, Barnett is gone by this time, turmoil, W

I guess that comes out to nine wins, and that shall be my prediction. Call me optimistic or whatever you want, but I would rather be optimistic than feel miserable before the season even starts, Go Huskers!!!

I see 9 potential losses after Wake Forest.  If this team wins 7 or more games I'll be encouraged.  Anything less, while impressed with recruiting I'll be equally unimpressed with this staff's ability to coach.

Yup, any game you can win or lose. I see 11 potential losses on the schedule. :blink:

I also see 11 potential wins!

:)

Exactly my point.

I figured!

:cheers

Agreed with almost everything you said, except about the newcomers. Lets face it, 18 yr old freshman, and JUCOs that havent played against top level competition probably wont make a huge, immediate impact. A few of the JUCOs and a couple of the frosh will, but it will be about 3 years until this class realizes its potential.

Still too many holes and questions, IMO.

Wake Forest=comfortable win.

Any bets on that? I will bet anyone on here that Wake Forest covers the spread. I may be willing to go they will be with in 7. This is not an easy game. Trust me all here will be shaking in their boots before this game is over. This is a very dangerous team. It is a no win situation for Nebraska. We win, well you should have you were playing a ACC cellar dwellar, you play close what the heck is wrong up there? and if we should lose, we will be the laughing stock of college football. They have a year of experience, 10 starters return on offense, 8 on defense, have an all ACC punter and one of the best freshman kickers in the country. FSU, VaTech, Clemson, NCState, Maryland were all lucky to win last year. Losing two games in overtime and all in the final few minutes. Other than Miami. They beat Boston College. They played a way tougher schedule than we did last year and faired much better. A loss is a loss, but this team will have an attitude this year. There will be no fear of Nebraska. Be ready for a game, I would bet my house on it.

Agreed with almost everything you said, except about the newcomers. Lets face it, 18 yr old freshman, and JUCOs that havent played against top level competition probably wont make a huge, immediate impact. A few of the JUCOs and a couple of the frosh will, but it will be about 3 years until this class realizes its potential.

That was well said!!! (somebody slap me)

I actually agree with some of what you said. :wtf

You even said it without taking a jab at anybody...

Are you feeling ok???

Somebody give this man a beer

That was well said!!! (somebody slap me)

I actually agree with some of what you said. :wtf

You even said it without taking a jab at anybody...

Are you feeling ok???

Somebody give this man a beer

:thumbs

Wake Forest=comfortable win.

Any bets on that? I will bet anyone on here that Wake Forest covers the spread. I may be willing to go they will be with in 7. This is not an easy game. Trust me all here will be shaking in their boots before this game is over. This is a very dangerous team. It is a no win situation for Nebraska. We win, well you should have you were playing a ACC cellar dwellar, you play close what the heck is wrong up there? and if we should lose, we will be the laughing stock of college football. They have a year of experience, 10 starters return on offense, 8 on defense, have an all ACC punter and one of the best freshman kickers in the country. FSU, VaTech, Clemson, NCState, Maryland were all lucky to win last year. Losing two games in overtime and all in the final few minutes. Other than Miami. They beat Boston College. They played a way tougher schedule than we did last year and faired much better. A loss is a loss, but this team will have an attitude this year. There will be no fear of Nebraska. Be ready for a game, I would bet my house on it.

I think that's about right...they seem to be a team that plays everyone tough, but just can't get over the hump. I'm certainly glad this one is at home.

If NU wins, it will be a good confidence builder going into the Pitt game...and I'm not sure Pitt will be as good as everyone thinks. Formidable, sure...but they are being touted as great. They will go through growing pains with a new coach, but they should win the Small...I mean Big...East title, although with Louisville it will be tough.

Now don't everyone go jumping on me because I said that. They will be better than SoMiss from last year, but I don't think they are better than 9-3 at the very most, even in a depleted Small East. The 'Skers should win, but it will be a battle.

FF,

Is that truly you?.. I think your comments are about spot on.  Youth and inexperience will be a factor.  But there is the possibility they will be good together and that is what we all hope for.

Agreed, :cheers but it will take time. There is certainly the possibility that they will be good together, I think that it would be towards the middle of the season (at the earliest) before the play is dramatically improved.

And yes, it is really me :thumbs. You may not agree with me, but I tell it like I see it!