Beck on Heisman list

Heisman Candidates

73. RB Cory Ross, Nebraska – Lost in the debacle that was the 2005 Nebraska season was the performance of Ross, a 1,000-yard rusher and the team’s second leading receiver. At 5-6 and 195 pounds, Husker coaches must guard against wearing him out this year.

76. QB Zac Taylor, Jordan Adams or Harrison Beck, Nebraska – Unlike last year, Bill Callahan has options under center, meaning 2004 was probably rock bottom for the Husker offense. A boat load of pub awaits the Nebraska quarterback, who runs the west coast offense effectively.

I actually think that the list hit at least one thing on the head. Publicity. Lets say that Nebraska wins ten games this year on the back of Zac Taylor, or Harrison. You take a former, and future ;) , powerhouse and put a new name out there at quarterback who throws for three thousand and 25 or 30 tds, and they very well may be in the heisman race. It's more probable than Ross winning it, and probably a lot of the other 75 candidates in front of the Nebraska quarterbacks.

maybe it has been so long since we had anyone who could throw the ball really well, that Zac and others look better than they really are?? not trying to tear anyone down or diminish hopes, but who did we have in the past few years to compare these new guys to? just a thought.....

hunter

Not to burst your bubble or anything Indiana, but the one thing I saw at the spring game that kind of worried me about Zac is that he usually stared down he receiver and didnt go through reads, so I'm not sure how well he goes through progressions, because he didn't have to at the spring game, and as for the starring, that was kind of shades of JD. That man use to shoot laser beams out of his eyes, and you just cant do that against good secondarys, you have to look them off. That being said, he still completed over seventy percent of his passes, so maybe he was trying to look someone off, and then the person he was looking at was open every time ;)

Not to burst your bubble or anything Indiana, but the one thing I saw at the spring game that kind of worried me about Zac is that he usually stared down he receiver and didnt go through reads, so I'm not sure how well he goes through progressions, because he didn't have to at the spring game, and as for the starring, that was kind of shades of JD. That man use to shoot laser beams out of his eyes, and you just cant do that against good secondarys, you have to look them off. That being said, he still completed over seventy percent of his passes, so maybe he was trying to look someone off, and then the person he was looking at was open every time ;)

I totally disagree, maybe I watched a different game. Zac would look to his #1 target first and if he was open he would hit him, which was most of the time. But on the swing pass to Ross, a deep ball to Nunn and a slant over the middle to Nunn those were all the 3rd or 4th option. He never tried to force anything, and that's a big difference between him and Joe. Since the spring game is the only live action we have to guage ZT's abilities there's not much to go on. But many people who have watched him throw have lauded his footwork and quick understanding of the offense. He doesn't have happy feet in the pocket or appear uncomfortable in the offense like JD did.

I'm not saying we have the next Heisman winner behind center, but we have a much better upgrade than last year.

good point. like i said, i may be wrong. I was just reporting on what I observed, and I hope that you are right. You are definately right about one thing, Zac looked alot more comfortable than JD did in the pocket, and you cant attribute that to just the green jersey, because we had JD in green to compare it with at the same game, and the man still looked like he was walking on coals.

good point. like i said, i may be wrong. I was just reporting on what I observed, and I hope that you are right. You are definately right about one thing, Zac looked alot more comfortable than JD did in the pocket, and you cant attribute that to just the green jersey, because we had JD in green to compare it with at the same game, and the man still looked like he was walking on coals.

I also read up on the scrimmage they had prior to the spring game, when they ran 190 plays and went live. It did say Zac got popped a few times but still completed a high % and felt comfortable then as well.

Now I may be mistaken, but didn't he throw 8 TD's and 1 INT in the 2 scrimmages combined? And didn't the 1st scrimmage match the 1's vs 1's a few times?