TE Alex Smith

Player: Alex Smith

Hometown: West Chester, OH

Position: TE

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 260 lbs.

40 time: 4.87

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Cincinnati, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Minnesota, N.C. State, North Carolina, Penn State, Purdue, South Carolina, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Favorites: Kentucky, Miami, Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin

COMMITTED TO KENTUCKY

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

ESPN: Top 150 Watchlist

Rivals has his 40 at 4.87; Scout at 4.74

Committed to Cinci:

Bearcats nab top tight end Alex Smith

ESPNU 150 Watch List tight end Alex Smith, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound prospect, has committed to sign with Cincinnati, Bucknuts.com's Bill Kurelic reports. Smith's high school teammate, lineman Kevin Schloemer.

Smith had scholarship offers from the Bearcats as well as Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina State and Duke. He was also drawing interest from many others including Ohio State.

He said, "My mom and my grandmother have never missed a game of mine. I wanted to stay close to home and they were a big part of my decision. I feel we can do something special at Cincinnati with coach (Brian) Kelly. We can keep it going. By committing early I can help bring other guys to Cincinnati. I've been kind of the leader."

He chose Cinci over Ohio State? maybe early playing time? How far is Columbus from Cinci? The article said he wanted his grandmother to be able to attend his games, but surely Ohio State wouldn't be much farther to travel?

hour and half to two hours to drive from cinci to columbus(well...actually the other way around). columbus is in the middle of the state.

• 3 months later...

per Scout: West Chester (OH) Lakota West TE Alex Smith offered his verbal commitment to the Cincinnati Bearcats back in February, but recently he began exploring other options in order to ensure that the right decision. His trip to Ann Arbor for last weekend’s Barbecue at the Big House has suddenly vaulted Michigan back into contention

Oops?:

Smith is also concerned about a change in the Bearcats’ program. Tight ends coach Mike Elston will coach the defensive line next season.

“I developed a good relationship with Coach Elston,” Smith said. “With him coaching the defensive line they are not sure they are going to have a tight ends coach. They might just have the tight ends go back and forth with the wide receivers and the offensive linemen.”

Or is that just spin after this statement:

But Smith said Tuesday that with recent offers from LSU, Penn State, Miami (Fla.), North Carolina and others coming in, he felt the need to open up the recruiting process again.

“I’m going to open it up to a few schools, make a few visits and make sure UC’s the best decision for me,” Smith said.

“I’ve gotten some new big-time offers, so I want to go out and see what they have to offer and take it all in.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West), one of the top tight end prospects in the Midwest, committed to Cincinnati during the winter. He remains committed to the Bearcats, however, he has since opened his recruitment back up to some extent.

Smith has approximately two dozen scholarship offers on the table.

"I've kind of narrowed it down more than it use to be," Smith said. "I have two that I like a lot, North Carolina and Wisconsin. I went to Wisconsin about three weeks ago. I loved it there. And I like North Carolina a lot. I like their tight ends coach."

There are other schools still very much in the picture as well.

"I got to check out Michigan, Kentucky, North Carolina State and Michigan State," Smith said. "And I'd like to make a trip down to LSU and Miami. Oregon wants me to make it up there. We'll see how it goes."

The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder, who has offers from all of the schools he mentioned, played wide receiver his sophomore season. He moved to tight end his junior year and caught 33 passes with six touchdowns.

When asked to name his top choices Smith said, "Cincinnati, then Wisconsin, then North Carolina, and Kentucky is in there too."

Smith has scheduled an official visit to Wisconsin for the weekend of Sept. 5. He says he will likely schedule at least one or two other official visits as well.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the top tight end prospects in the Midwest, Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West), made his first official visit this past weekend. Smith was in Madison visiting Wisconsin.

"It was a good visit," Lakota West coach Larry Cox said. "There were times Alex told me they were playing four tight ends."

Smith's list of scholarship offers includes Wisconsin, Cincinnati, North Carolina, LSU, Michigan, Miami (FL), North Carolina State, Illinois, Indiana and Purdue.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder committed to Cincinnati during the winter, but it is not a done deal he will be a Bearcat. Smith has not de-committed, but at least two other schools appear to have a very realistic shot at signing him.

Cox feels Smith will ultimately decide from the trio of Cincinnati, Wisconsin and North Carolina.

"He expressed a strong interest in North Carolina, and Cincinnati still," Cox said.

Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) -- one of the top tight end prospects in the Midwest -- remains committed to Cincinnati, but it is not certain he will sign with the Bearcats.

He has been considering visits to a number of the schools that have offered him a scholarship and it looks like his final decision will come down to three colleges.

Smith attended Cincinnati's game on Saturday, but two other schools are continuing their push.

"I talked to (Wisconsin coach) Bret Bielema," Lakota West coach Larry Cox said. "He has said Alex is a big one for him. I know North Carolina is coming after him still pretty hard."

Smith made an official visit to Wisconsin the weekend of Sept. 5. To this point he has not scheduled an official visit to either North Carolina or Cincinnati.

• 2 weeks later...

Tight end Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) remains committed to Cincinnati, however, Smith is set to take his second official visit this weekend.

"He is going to visit North Carolina this weekend," Lakota West coach Larry Cox said. "I know he's going to make an official visit to UC. I think that will be closer to November. I believe in my mind he will make an official visit to Kentucky as well."

Smith made an official visit to Wisconsin the weekend of Sept. 5. The Badgers also remain in the running.