TE Alex Smith

Tight end Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) headed south for his second official visit this past weekend. Smith, who made an early commitment to Cincinnati but has been taking a look at some other schools, visited North Carolina over the weekend.

"It went real good," Smith said. "The campus is beautiful. I had a lot of fun. I'm glad my mom got to go and got to see it. I visited there in the summer, but she hadn't seen it."

At least for now, Smith said he remains committed to the Bearcats. However, he has now made official visits to Wisconsin and North Carolina and says both schools are in the running.

• 2 weeks later...

Tight end Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West), who made an early commitment to Cincinnati, continues to visit other schools.

Smith has made official visits to Wisconsin and North Carolina. This past weekend he made an unofficial visit to Tennessee.

"He really enjoyed it," Lakota West coach Larry Cox said. "I think he might go up to Michigan this weekend or the next weekend."

Any reason we haven't been after this guy? I mean, all you would have to do is show him what we do with our TE's and that should be enough to seal the deal.

we have more than enough TEs.

...because we have two good prospects in cotton and reed that will be two classes ahead of him? i think we can find room. we need a good TE in this class.

Any reason we haven't been after this guy? I mean, all you would have to do is show him what we do with our TE's and that should be enough to seal the deal.

...because we have two good prospects in cotton and reed that will be two classes ahead of him? i think we can find room. we need a good TE in this class.

We are in on Chase Harper at TE

.....who would also be two classes ahead of any freshman that comes in and redshirts (and i can't imagine many tight ends are physically ready to block as true freshmen). recruiting is not really about your roster the following year, or even the year after that, it's about 3-5 years down the road.

.....who would also be two classes ahead of any freshman that comes in and redshirts (and i can't imagine many tight ends are physically ready to block as true freshmen). recruiting is not really about your roster the following year, or even the year after that, it's about 3-5 years down the road.

I guess that makes Chase being a 3/3 guy that much better.

Aren't we redshirting the hotshot from San Diego also? He was our top choice last year.

Aren't we redshirting the hotshot from San Diego also? He was our top choice last year.

i'm not convinced kerr's a "hotshot" and i guess i never heard that he was our top choice last year. obviously it's way, way too soon to write the kid off, but i'm not too enthused about him.

in any case, we should be getting at least one TE type of athlete in every class so that we always have three ready to go.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the top tight end prospects in the Midwest, Alex Smith (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West), is set to announce his college choice on Tuesday according to Lakota West coach Larry Cox.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder committed to Cincinnati during the winter, but it is not a done deal that he will be a Bearcat. He has not de-committed, but made official visits to Wisconsin and North Carolina.

Smith also made another trip back to North Carolina this past weekend and stayed in Chapel Hill on Sunday night after watching the North Carolina basketball team play on Sunday afternoon.

The Bearcats called Smith a few days ago wanting him to make a final declaration on his college choice. They will have to wait one more day, like everyone else.