QB system

I think Beck will see at least a little time this season now that spring ball is over. If Ganz or Adams were as good as Taylor, it would have shown by now. Obviously everyone is assuming that Beck is as good or better raw talent wise as Taylor, which is a reasonable assumtion from everything I've seen.

I don't know if Callahan is really interested in a 2 QB system. Does he have a history of using two QB's? For some reason, I don't think he is. But, with the right 2 QB's it could be a lucrative concept.

Assuming Beck can pick up enough of the offense and terminology (and given his statements that the NU offense is so similar to the one he ran in high school, that might not be so far-fetched), I don't see why not. The biggest adjustment would be for the receivers - the line won't change the blocking, especially since Beck seems to be able to use his feet to buy time and has a quick release. But it takes some time for a quarterback and receivers to understand each other - and the receivers also have to adjust to any difference in the way each quarterback delivers the ball, such as placement and spin.

Now that I think back through the statement, I can't help but think Beck is going to force one too many passes to get a ton of playing time. He'll make some great passes, but some poor ones, I think as good as he is the speed of the game, the corners, will surprise him and take him a while to figure out.

Now that I think back through the statement, I can't help but think Beck is going to force one too many passes to get a ton of playing time. He'll make some great passes, but some poor ones, I think as good as he is the speed of the game, the corners, will surprise him and take him a while to figure out.

I get the same feeling...well said

Yea, I don't doubt that. Like you said he's got the tools, let see how he uses them on the next level :thumbs

While I agree, the converse may also be true - Taylor might feel the pressure of an all-star recruit breathing down his neck, and begin to press, opening up more opportunities for Beck.

My hope is that one of them proves to be the answer...

Now that I think back through the statement, I can't help but think Beck is going to force one too many passes to get a ton of playing time.  He'll make some great passes, but some poor ones, I think as good as he is the speed of the game, the corners, will surprise him and take him a while to figure out.

While I agree, the converse may also be true - Taylor might feel the pressure of an all-star recruit breathing down his neck, and begin to press, opening up more opportunities for Beck.

My hope is that one of them proves to be the answer...

I don't think we'll see that with Taylor. He's got a good temprement for the position. ;)

Typical freshman mistakes...that's what we can expect from him. But I also think we can expect him to get better...

unless Taylor plays poorly, it is unlikely that Beck will see the field in anything but mop up duties, even if he plays well in practice. Im aware that Beck is supposed to be the franchise player for this team, but no one is going to bench and experienced quarterback who is playing well for a freshman anywhere in college football. If Taylor struggles on the other hand.......

YEAH

Mistakes will be the telling difference. ZT has had at least JUCO experience that should have been at least a step or two above the HS level. Beck's video is great but like what was said he will have some big adjustments to make but with BC's eval of him he should prove able to adjust his game.

:horns2

GBR

I think Taylor will feel the same pressure Joe D did. However, I don't know how he'll respond to that pressure. He may fall like a deck of cards under the pressure, or he may prevail. I think he knows that his work is only half done beating out the incumbent. Unless he just stupid, he knows Beck was brought in for one reason and one reason only to START! That being said, it may make him better. Or, it may make him perform poorly just like it did Joe D.

First of all, my thoughts are this: if we're going to live or die by Beck, let him play! It worked out well with Frazier. Sure there will be some mistakes, but come on it's not like we're going to play for a NC next year. If he prevails and is as good as advertised, we need to get as much game time as possible under his belt. I'm sorry, but Taylor is simply a bandaid. He only has two years, and Beck sure as hell isn't going to be satisfied waiting behind the scenes.

Frazier called the shots his freshman year, and I expect Beck to do the same. He may be willing to redshirt, but from what I've read more than likely he won't. Let the kid play. We'll see what he's made of.